The 1.5 update is now available on iOS and Android! [Updated 1/7]

LRangerR

Local Legend
Funny thing is I find much of the new 1.5 content to be less… Stardew Valley than previous versions. It’s certainly a game expansion and different but not in a way that resonates with me. Maybe because much of it takes place away from the Valley and it’s residents.

That said, as a PC/Mac player I have the choice to play that content or not and I understand mobile users’ frustrations.

Lol funny coincidence as this is my first post on the forum from a mobile device because circumstances. And yes I have SDV installed on here…
This is why going to the island is extremely low-priority. It just doesn't feel the same as the rest of the game.

For example, aside from digging in the mines there is zero violence in the rest of the game. But on the island a bunch of parrots assault a poor turtle who's just chillin' for apparently no reason at all. This and several other things that happened on the island give me zero motivation to go there. It's better in the valley.

lyrical

Greenhorn
ehhh i've lost any hope that we'll get 1.5 at this point, tbh.

it was released for pc players on 21 December 2020. PS4 got it ~2 months later, so did the xbox and switch. however mobile players are still waiting for it, almost one year later. one year.

honestly? it just looks like CA is horrifyingly greedy. i truly can't think it's easier to port the game to 3 different consoles (with completely different APIs and limitations) than porting it to an Android/iOS device with a pre-existing codebase. the only thing stopping him at this point is money, the same money that he gets everytime someone buys the game with the Play/App Store.

i'm very aware i sound extremely rude, but come on, one year waiting for it and nothing. the mobile version has simply been abandoned and that's it. those vague statements (such as "we're working hard on it", "it will come out when it's ready" or "continuous progress is being made") are worth absolutely nothing when you don't even have an ETA. truly disappointing.

ggchan

Tiller

it was released for pc players on 21 December 2020. PS4 got it ~2 months later, so did the xbox and switch. however mobile players are still waiting for it, almost one year later. one year.

honestly? it just looks like CA is horrifyingly greedy. i truly can't think it's easier to port the game to 3 different consoles (with completely different APIs and limitations) than porting it to an Android/iOS device with a pre-existing codebase. the only thing stopping him at this point is money, the same money that he gets everytime someone buys the game with the Play/App Store.

i'm very aware i sound extremely rude, but come on, one year waiting for it and nothing. the mobile version has simply been abandoned and that's it. those vague statements (such as "we're working hard on it", "it will come out when it's ready" or "continuous progress is being made") are worth absolutely nothing when you don't even have an ETA. truly disappointing.
While I don't think CA is greedy at all since he provides free updates for Stardew Valley. As a mobile player, it is really hard not to think this.

Because the mobile version of SDV is the cheapest among all the platforms and the mobile versions are still not self-published by CA. And I know that publishing is not the same as porting since he self-publishes SDV for PS4, X1 & NSW but he has a team that ports updates for those consoles. So yeah, it is pretty obvious that mobile has the lowest priority when it comes to updates, hence where we are now, mobile players feeling abandoned.

Of course, I know CA isn't the one to blame for the long wait of 1.5 update release but it is still his game and mobile players will always ask him for answers. And without any ETA, one has to wonder if the update will ever be released to mobile at all.

And it's easy for other platform players to say, "just buy it in PC or Switch if you want to play it badly", when they don't know other person's circumstances.

For me, personally, I sometimes wonder if having my 4 farms ready for the 1.5 update even worth it. I sometimes wonder if the 1.5 update will really come to mobile.

im-fine-fine (1).gif

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper

I agree that it's disappointing. However I disagree with your analysis.

You received the game you paid for, and sometimes getting the future game you anticipate is a long, painful exercise in patience (No Man's Sky), and sometimes the result is a game mechanics-breaking update (Minecraft XBOX/PS to Bedrock update). Sometimes it never happens (Star Citizen, IMO). And many different problems in between. The series of circumstances leading to the current state of v1.5 on mobile are yet another of these and there's no denying the frustration and annoyance.

But IMO CA has been a pretty stand-up developer and person and I see no reason not to take his word at face value. There are no circumstances where he has led us to believe something when in reality something else was actually happening. I really do find his dev notes during SDV's development instructive as, IIRC, the game came out 2 years later than planned and without a key feature CA really wanted included: multiplayer. He delivered a great game at the time and it improved with that later MP update.

Just because you plan something and have a vision for how it will play out, doesn't mean it will turn out that way. Making a game the right way simply takes time and bad things happen to get in the way sometimes, which seems to be the case with the mobile 1.5 update. IMO it will come.

Jemi

Greenhorn
I get a bit frustrated with the "it's a free update" line of thinking, since if the issue is cash flow I'd be completely willing to pay another $3-$5 (or more) to actually get the update, and I think a lot of mobile players would.

Prioritizing keeping it free over getting the end product to players is definitely a choice, and while I can respect the choice made, at almost a year after initial release it's hard to not be frustrated.

I bought the PC version to play 1.5, finished perfection, but the controls and lack of ability to play on the go (or in bed) kinda kill the fun of playing for me.

Lauren1593

Tiller

Calling CA ouy for being greedy is a tad far. If anything, he’s probably losing money on switching to a new dev for porting. Furthermore, getting the movement system (the one that actually lets the Mobile version work so well) up and running with few bugs is not a trivial task.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to go ahead and address the "Free update" line of thinking to better explain why some people say this, and it is NOT to say that any amount of money makes you worth more or less as a player, it's to say that, we all paid for the game and got an entire, complete game out of it, so everything after that is just cherries on top of more cherries on top of the beautiful sundae that is Stardew Valley.

It doesn't make the wait less frustrating or painful and I understand that, but at least for me personally, I relax some when I remember that these are updates none of us were ever obligated to get, we're getting more features in an extremely complete game and it's great that we do.

I totally agree though that a lot of us would have been willing to pay for DLCs or to monetize the updates in some manner because we love the game and want to support it! But it's really nice that CA doesn't charge for it. I think every update is pretty important to him and if he had complete control of every aspect of the different games, he would have every update come out at the exact same time. But of course, he doesn't, and he's only one person so he can't be expected to have all that extra work put on him. I think he does what he can, and I really hope the porting teams do as well.

nararabbit

Greenhorn
The next content update should go to mobile first. I am so tired of PC users being so unpleasant towards mobile users who are unhappy with a 1+ year wait for updates. Let’s see just how patient they are with a 1 year wait! I’m sure they’ll appreciate being told to just buy a new iphone if they want to play the new content. ;-)

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
The next content update should go to mobile first. I am so tired of PC users being so unpleasant towards mobile users who are unhappy with a 1+ year wait for updates. Let’s see just how patient they are with a 1 year wait! I’m sure they’ll appreciate being told to just buy a new iphone if they want to play the new content. ;-)
Nobody here has told you to go buy a PC. That is a false equivalency.

And we've told you all that we understand your frustration. We get it. We know we would be frustrated too and that it is hard to be patient.

...but patience is really the only option. Making false accusations about CA, or regularly posting to demand updates or complain for the 5th time (and I'm not saying you've posted that many times to complain, but some have), or getting angry at folks just because they have the update... none of these are going to make it happen any time sooner.

And like I said. I get it. I wish I could wave a wand and give all the mobile users 1.5, as I'm sure CA wishes too... but that's just not how it works.

Odin

Staff member
The next content update should go to mobile first.
I know you're just making a point and not an actual suggestion about development, but unfortunately that wouldn't really be possible with the way development works for Stardew. ConcernedApe and Podunk are the ones that create new updates, which are for the PC platform. Then they hand off the code for the update to a team that handles the console versions and another team that handles mobile. That's why PC always gets updates first, because that is the platform the devs are actually working on directly. I suppose that they could hold back a future update until it was ready on every platform before it was released, but that would just mean everyone would have to wait for whichever platform got the update last.
I am so tired of PC users being so unpleasant towards mobile users who are unhappy with a 1+ year wait for updates.
Hopefully no one on the forums has been unpleasant, but you can always use the report feature to bring a message to our attention.

Lauren1593

Tiller
I wanted to go ahead and address the "Free update" line of thinking to better explain why some people say this, and it is NOT to say that any amount of money makes you worth more or less as a player, it's to say that, we all paid for the game and got an entire, complete game out of it, so everything after that is just cherries on top of more cherries on top of the beautiful sundae that is Stardew Valley.

It doesn't make the wait less frustrating or painful and I understand that, but at least for me personally, I relax some when I remember that these are updates none of us were ever obligated to get, we're getting more features in an extremely complete game and it's great that we do.

I totally agree though that a lot of us would have been willing to pay for DLCs or to monetize the updates in some manner because we love the game and want to support it! But it's really nice that CA doesn't charge for it. I think every update is pretty important to him and if he had complete control of every aspect of the different games, he would have every update come out at the exact same time. But of course, he doesn't, and he's only one person so he can't be expected to have all that extra work put on him. I think he does what he can, and I really hope the porting teams do as well.
If anything, I’m quite certain that the updates are not free for CA, especially outsourcing the mobile and console ports.

IntoxicHeart

Planter
((edit;; I want to mention that I’m not trying to start any conflicts. It just wound up aggravating me reading the way CA was being verbally attacked, and his character dragged through the mud. And I found myself wanting to stand up for him.))

I just read through all the posts of this thread, and saw mentioning how there are other platform players being, putting it nicely, rude to mobile players. I haven’t seen that, so where exactly is this occurring? From everything I have gathered, that is not tolerable here nor on the discord server. This community also has the vibes of tight-knit one, where even players from other platforms would essentially come to the aid of mobile players, and not tolerate such rude behaviour.

Now, I’m not saying it has NOT occurred, just rather curious to where it has, since it does not seem probable from the community here. If anything, I’ve seen that players on other platforms are sympathetic towards mobile players (which is not to be confused with pitying mobile players).

Now, something I do NOT comprehend at all is where all this talk about CA being greedy or money hungry is coming from. In what exact way is he being like that? He’s not pushing nor forcing anyone to buy his game. He’s not charging some subscription fee. You pay once for the game, and that’s it. You get the game and all future updates without any additional costs (again, only cost being to buy the game ONCE —unless you’re person like me, and decide to buy the game on multiple platforms, but that’s a personal choice, and not something being forced).

Yes. It’s frustrating. I’ve had plenty of games where had to wait years for an update. I’ve also had where I’ve (and others) have been, metaphorically, slapped in the face. One prime example is this one game (which I will not name the game, but some might guess/know which game it is), that all but blatantly stated they didn’t care.

What occurred:
Pre order - news was released by the developing company that in order to play the beta version, the game HAD to be pre-ordered. A lot of people were excited, and so pre-ordered the game. Beta came, and during beta, it was released for EVERYONE to play, without having to pre-order. Yes, on its own this is a minor thing, which can be shrugged off. But, with what proceeded, it just compacted.

DLC’s - two DLC’s were announced before game’s released, and you could pre-order the game with the two DLC’s, and save around 10$-ish or so. Otherwise, it was 20$ per DLC (would like to mention that the game on its own was 60$ … which this is important and relevant for later). That’s 100$ right there. There was then a third DLC, which was another 20$, so that brings the cost up to 120$.

The kicker for this is that when the third DLC was released, they re-released the game with three DLC for only 60$. So, the people who had been playing since beta, purchased the first two DLC’s, and then were having to purchase the third DLC for the same price of the previous DLC’s had to fork out 120$, while new players were able to get the game and all three DLC’s for literally have the price. On top of which, they were able to play a game that had been incredibly glitchy, up until that point, without those glitches. There was nothing worthwhile given to those who had spent the initial 100$, and then additional 20$. They just didn’t care.

And with the sequel, micro transactions were released, with even more bs. (20$ for a so-called DLC that barely added anything, and could be beaten in literally around an hour)

Edit;; forgot to mention something concerning the glitches, which is associated with release date relevancy. I mentioned how players who had been playing the game since day 1 of release, and even beta, played a glitchy game, and while new players as of the third dlc didn’t have to experience all of those glitches (which would get extremely frustrating for gameplay and take the fun out of it). For the players pre-third dlc release, it was as though we played one roughly year long beta, and paid 100$ to do so.

How this is associate time relevancy, the company put out a date for when the game was released, and despite the fact that the game was still very much glitchy and bugged, they didn’t postpone. Instead, they released essentially an unfinished game (unfinished due to all of the issues with the game). During that roughly year up until the third dlc released, they didn’t do anything to resolve the glitches and bugs.

Another addition I forgot to include in as that initially the game was not planned to be only for PS4 and Xbox One, and not PS3 and 360. Yet, if they did that, they would lose out on a massive potential profit, especially since a lot of players were bummed and wanted it for the PS3 and 360. Which, more issues and bugs occurred with the older gens, and while there were still issues with the newer gens, just not as much. They knew the game wasn’t suited for the 360 and PS3, but they released it there anyway so that they could get more money

Now that is some bs. CA has done NOTHING remotely even close in comparison.

Another thing that I feel is noteworthy that isn’t mentioned enough is concerning mods. There are plenty of developers who are anti-modders, due to the fact that they want to release their own mods, which often come at some form of a fee to the players. CA on the other hand fully supports the modding community. He has even showcased some of the mods, developed by others, himself, and has even assisted modders too.

Following up on that, there is going to be something implemented in the game coding that will make it easier for modders to create mods for Stardew. Which also there are mods available for mobile players. Console players cannot play with mods.

Also, I’d CA didn’t care for mobile players, he a.) would have never made it available for mobile players, b.) would never have put forth effort in wanting to provide updates for mobile players, and c.) he would not have gone in search of someone else to port to mobile after it had fallen through with those were supposed to port it. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty positive CA has to pay those who port his game to mobile. If he was greedy, then he wouldn’t do that.

Long-winded post, and even rant.

Edit;; Forgot to mention something regarding mods. There are developers out there which will ban players for modding their games (and I’m not simply referring to mods that can help the players ‘cheat to win’, but even just mods that change only aesthetics). There are developers that will do everything they can to try to make it impossible (or at least difficult) for people to mod their games. That does not occur with CA. Once again, CA fully supports the modding community. Even ‘cheat’ mods are allowed.

Last edited:
I just read through all the posts of this thread, and saw mentioning how there are other platform players being, putting it nicely, rude to mobile players. I haven’t seen that, so where exactly is this occurring? From everything I have gathered, that is not tolerable here nor on the discord server. This community also has the vibes of tight-knit one, where even players from other platforms would essentially come to the aid of mobile players, and not tolerate such rude behaviour.

Now, I’m not saying it has NOT occurred, just rather curious to where it has, since it does not seem probable from the community here. If anything, I’ve seen that players on other platforms are sympathetic towards mobile players (which is not to be confused with pitying mobile players).

Now, something I do NOT comprehend at all is where all this talk about CA being greedy or money hungry is coming from. In what exact way is he being like that? He’s not pushing nor forcing anyone to buy his game. He’s not charging some subscription fee. You pay once for the game, and that’s it. You get the game and all future updates without any additional costs (again, only cost being to buy the game ONCE —unless your person a like me, and decide to buy the game on multiple platforms, but that’s a personal choice, and not something being forced).

Yes. It’s frustrating. I’ve had plenty of games where had to wait years for an update. I’ve also had where I’ve (and others) have been, metaphorically, slapped in the face. One prime example is this one game (which I will not name the game, but some might guess/know which game it is), that all but blatantly stated they didn’t care.

What occurred:
Pre order - news was released by the developing company that in order to play the beta version, the game HAD to be pre-ordered. A lot of people were excited, and so pre-ordered the game. Beta came, and during beta, it was released for EVERYONE to play, without having to pre-order. Yes, on its own this is a minor thing, which can be shrugged off. But, with what proceeded, it just compacted.

DLC’s - two DLC’s were announced before game’s released, and you could pre-order the game with the two DLC’s, and save around 10$-ish or so. Otherwise, it was 20$ per DLC (would like to mention that the game on its own was 60$ … which this is important and relevant for later). That’s 100$ right there. There was then a third DLC, which was another 20$, so that brings the cost up to 120$.

The kicker for this is that when the third DLC was released, they re-released the game with three DLC for only 60$. So, the people who had been playing since beta, purchased the first two DLC’s, and then were having to purchase the third DLC for the same price of the previous DLC’s had to fork out 120$, while new players were able to get the game and all three DLC’s for literally have the price. On top of which, they were able to play a game that had been incredibly glitchy, up until that point, without those glitches. There was nothing worthwhile given to those who had spent the initial 100$, and then additional 20$. They just didn’t care.

And with the sequel, micro transactions were released, with even more bs. (20$ for a so-called DLC that barely added anything, and could be beaten in literally around an hour)

Now that is some bs. CA has done NOTHING remotely even close in comparison.

Another thing that I feel is noteworthy that isn’t mentioned enough is concerning mods. There are plenty of developers who are anti-modders, due to the fact that they want to release their own mods, which often come at some form of a fee to the players. CA on the other hand fully supports the modding community. He has even showcased some of the mods, developed by others, himself, and has even assisted modders too.

Following up on that, there is going to be something implemented in the game coding that will make it easier for modders to create mods for Stardew. Which also there are mods available for mobile players. Console players cannot play with mods.

Also, I’d CA didn’t care for mobile players, he a.) would have never made it available for mobile players, b.) would never have put forth effort in wanting to provide updates for mobile players, and c.) he would not have gone in search of someone else to port to mobile after it had fallen through with those were supposed to port it. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty positive CA has to pay those who port his game to mobile. If he was greedy, then he wouldn’t do that.

Long-winded post, and even rant.
Man, thanks so much for clarifying so much of this for people. Everything you said is 100% true and I'm really glad that there are other people who can see how hard CA is trying. Thanks again for this, Toxic. I appreciate it on a personal level.

Jemi

Greenhorn
As far as where people are seeing anti-mobile sentiment, both Twitter and the SDV Reddit have had people saying that mobile players don't deserve / shouldn't get 1.5 because it's taking CA's time away from the real platforms/haunted chocolatier. The sentiment definitely exists.

As far as where people are seeing anti-mobile sentiment, both Twitter and the SDV Reddit have had people saying that mobile players don't deserve / shouldn't get 1.5 because it's taking CA's time away from the real platforms/haunted chocolatier. The sentiment definitely exists.
Well, despite that, it certainly doesn't exist here or on the discord. I wish that it didn't exist on those platforms, but I digress, that type of sentiment is a big reason that I'm not on those platforms in the first place.