Creator Response A HUGE list of questions / desired clarifications

LRangerR

Local Legend
now 31- Answered~ Honestly surprised at this one but glad to know this now!
6- 29- 30- 28- Answered~ Alrighty!

Sorry for picking apart your game like this!~ Don't hate me~
But it still has me addicted, so thanks so much for the input, here and elsewhere, and of course for the game itself!

And with that... That is everything answered! (for now...)
Thank you ALL. Sorry again for the mess here. Might clean it up a bit, remove some examples, whatever. Here's hoping it helps others out there.
Don't feel sorry. I'm sure this thread has helped a lot of people, even if it is a bit messy. :P

Raincor

Newcomer
I do have a question that I can't recall seeing an answer to.

I understand trees go away for the season after being cut down.

My question is on forageable tiles. If you go on a path and forage, at some point all forage paths will be cleared out. Do these "respawn" at all? We found that at some points we had turns where you couldn't do anything at all if you couldn't grav a forageable on your way. So we did houserule it in that they respawned.

Full clarity also, I have the first printing if I remember correctly. So this may of been addressed.

Colito

Board Game Designer
Staff member
Paths do get cleared out, which makes certain paths less optimal, but you should not usually have to deal with that for long. You can still trigger the actions of course at the different locations. I think you could respawn forageables as a house rule, but my feeling is that it may make certain elements of the game easier (making friends, getting coins, etc)

AustNerevar

Greenhorn
When you get the shipping bin on a season card, when are you supposed to sell your resources (at the beginning when you flip the card or at the end of your turn?)

Odin

Staff member
When you get the shipping bin on a season card, when are you supposed to sell your resources (at the beginning when you flip the card or at the end of your turn?)
I believe at the beginning, before anyone starts their turn on the board.

RedCole

Newcomer
Hi all,

I have a question which is probably really dumb but, when going to break open a geode or to go ocean fishing does that take two turns or can i just instantly move my pawn from the farm to there. Also, if moving across two paths does that mean i can take two foragable tiles? Thank you.

Colito

Board Game Designer
Staff member
Hi all,

I have a question which is probably really dumb but, when going to break open a geode or to go ocean fishing does that take two turns or can i just instantly move my pawn from the farm to there. Also, if moving across two paths does that mean i can take two foragable tiles? Thank you.
You don't actually move from the Farm to those spaces. In the Planning Phase, you can place your pawn at any location on the board. Then when you're turn starts, you can choose to do 2 actions in that location, or do an action, move, and take another action before "returning to the farm" which mechanically is really more like teleporting back there, you don't actually move along the board spaces back to the farm. It's more thematic than anything. This all represents that during a normal day, you can reach every part of the Valley, but you are forced to focus your efforts on one or two locations.

Does this make sense?

TylerSterling

Greenhorn
If you donate a ? artifact/mineral to the museum, then later get another artifact/mineral for the same spot, can you move the wild card artifact to a different spot?

For example, I donate a ? artifact to spot A then later get an artifact for spot A. Could I stop by the museum later on and put the new artifact in spot A and move the ? artifact to spot B?

Colito

Board Game Designer
Staff member
If you donate a ? artifact/mineral to the museum, then later get another artifact/mineral for the same spot, can you move the wild card artifact to a different spot?

For example, I donate a ? artifact to spot A then later get an artifact for spot A. Could I stop by the museum later on and put the new artifact in spot A and move the ? artifact to spot B?
You cannot. Once you place it in the Museum, it stays in that spot, so the "?" tiles are best saved for later if possible.

Ultravires

Greenhorn
I have a question on how the Torch item interacts with the Your Pet Loves You event. The following actually happened when my son and I were playing.

I had the Cat and went first. On his turn, my son used the Torch and chose to repeat the Event icon, drawing the Your Pet Loves You event card. The card indicates that "If cat, draw 3 fish tiles."

When determining who draws the fish tiles, is the it the player who used the Torch, or the player with the Pet? This made a difference because one of our inventories was full.

Initially, I thought it would be the player who used the Torch. On further reflection, however, we decided it would be the player with the Pet, because that's the player who activates the season card icons, and we were "repeating" that action.

Thanks!

Colito

Board Game Designer
Staff member
I have a question on how the Torch item interacts with the Your Pet Loves You event. The following actually happened when my son and I were playing.

I had the Cat and went first. On his turn, my son used the Torch and chose to repeat the Event icon, drawing the Your Pet Loves You event card. The card indicates that "If cat, draw 3 fish tiles."

When determining who draws the fish tiles, is the it the player who used the Torch, or the player with the Pet? This made a difference because one of our inventories was full.

Initially, I thought it would be the player who used the Torch. On further reflection, however, we decided it would be the player with the Pet, because that's the player who activates the season card icons, and we were "repeating" that action.

Thanks!
This is a fantastic question! Generally speaking the player who is drawing the Event gets the benefits unless otherwise noted. But since the Torch is triggering a Season symbol, which the person with the Pet draws, I think you played this correctly!

Stefler

Newcomer
I am wanting to continue on with a bunch of questions! Hope this is cool! My wife and I just got our game and LOVE IT!! Its such a blast!

Game Start
In the rules when building the season deck it states that if this is your first game just use the 16 standard cards.
What if you are on your next game and want to use other cards? We played with the 16 cards and failed miserably but then played with the whole deck and its seemed like WAY too much. (Seems like something we could just fiddle with for game difficulty)
Do you only use 16?
Do the Season event days count as a day if you were to incorporate them?

Professions
Lets say I'm a fisherman, one of the friend cards gift allows me to pick up a forging prof card, can I now have 1 fish prof card and a foraging?

Seasons
I see that crops do not wither into the next season does this also apply to winter?
Also in winter some event cards or items allow you to plant a crop from any season. Can I plant them in winter?

Friends
Are friends shared? I assume not since there is a card that allows players to swap and redistribute friends.
The grandpa goal to have 3 friends PER player
then the PS states this is 3 friends * players
The wording is just a bit weird it seems either way, you need 3 each or 3*players total.

Animals
When animals flipped to their happy state do they stay in that state?
Why I ask is there is a card that Keeps your animals in happy state the only reason i see for this is a card that flips all animal card to their opposite, so assuming if they were all happy this card would remove it all but countered with the silo.

Items/Epics
Coffee
: "Discard during your turn to repeat your previous action"
What exactly does this mean? Since at gunther you can roll for as many geodes you have or the community center bundles.
The only thing I cold think that this is an extra action for fishing or the mine?

Prairie King Arcade System: "Discard 2 Gold to roll 1 Stardew die, If Junimo gain 1 heart token"
There are several item cards or epics that do something along these lines
Does this count as an action? when can I use these cards? (I assume its an action)

I hope there are no doubled questions here. Much love! Thanks everyone

TylerSterling

Greenhorn
I've not gotten my game yet, but I've gone over the rules many times in anticipation and as I've watched others play! I'm no expert but this is how I understand the rules.

What if you are on your next game and want to use other cards? We played with the 16 cards and failed miserably but then played with the whole deck and its seemed like WAY too much. (Seems like something we could just fiddle with for game difficulty)
Do you only use 16?
Do the Season event days count as a day if you were to incorporate them?
You only ever play with 16 cards. If you're not using the standard cards, you shuffle all cards of one season together then draw 4 cards. Then do the same for the next season and so on. So every game should only be 16 season cards/turns. The rest are out of play.

The season event days / holidays still count as a day or a turn. Do what it says on the card then proceed with the turn as normal.

Lets say I'm a fisherman, one of the friend cards gift allows me to pick up a forging prof card, can I now have 1 fish prof card and a foraging?
Correct! You can mix and match profession cards if you get them this way, but you only draw from your chosen profession's deck between seasons. Just keep in mind that you can have at most 2 profession upgrades, regardless of how you got them. So if you already have 2 fishing profession upgrades and a gift ability allows you to draw a foraging upgrade, you must discard one of your upgrades (either one of the two fishing upgrades you had previously or you can choose to not keep the foraging upgrade)

I see that crops do not wither into the next season does this also apply to winter?
Also in winter some event cards or items allow you to plant a crop from any season. Can I plant them in winter?
Crops never wither, including when entering winter. All previously planted crops stay as is.
As far as planting crops in winter from gift abilities or events - my understanding is if the wording is "any crop from the current season" or something along those lines you wouldn't be able to plant. But if it were to say "any crop from the supply" then you can plant a crop from any season, even during winter

Are friends shared? I assume not since there is a card that allows players to swap and redistribute friends.
The grandpa goal to have 3 friends PER player
then the PS states this is 3 friends * players
The wording is just a bit weird it seems either way, you need 3 each or 3*players total.
Friends are not shared between players.
The grandpa goal is to have 3 x the number of players friends, but it doesn't matter how those friends are distributed. So if you're playing in a group of 4 and one person has 12 friends and no one else has any, the grandpa goals is completed.

When animals flipped to their happy state do they stay in that state?
Why I ask is there is a card that Keeps your animals in happy state the only reason i see for this is a card that flips all animal card to their opposite, so assuming if they were all happy this card would remove it all but countered with the silo.
I assume the card you're referring to is the "needy animals" event. I believe that all animals stay happy once pet unless something like this event happens which switches the animals to their opposite sides. So this event can be a great thing (if your animals weren't happy previously) or a detriment (if you had already pet your animals)

What exactly does this mean? Since at gunther you can roll for as many geodes you have or the community center bundles.
The only thing I cold think that this is an extra action for fishing or the mine?
I think this would only be applicable / useful for actions for which you only have 1 chance . So it wouldn't have an effect if used at the museum, blacksmith, community center, etc. (since you can do those things multiple times in one action) but it would be useful for mining, fishing, making friends, etc.

Prairie King Arcade System: "Discard 2 Gold to roll 1 Stardew die, If Junimo gain 1 heart token"
There are several item cards or epics that do something along these lines
Does this count as an action? when can I use these cards? (I assume its an action)
Nope, using items like this wouldn't count as an action (unless it explicitly states on the item card "Spend 1 action" or "Spend 2 actions")

Again, I'm not an expert on the rules so I could be very mistaken on these clarifications, but I hope it was helpful!

Stefler

Newcomer
I've not gotten my game yet, but I've gone over the rules many times in anticipation and as I've watched others play! I'm no expert but this is how I understand the rules.

You only ever play with 16 cards. If you're not using the standard cards, you shuffle all cards of one season together then draw 4 cards. Then do the same for the next season and so on. So every game should only be 16 season cards/turns. The rest are out of play.

The season event days / holidays still count as a day or a turn. Do what it says on the card then proceed with the turn as normal.

Correct! You can mix and match profession cards if you get them this way, but you only draw from your chosen profession's deck between seasons. Just keep in mind that you can have at most 2 profession upgrades, regardless of how you got them. So if you already have 2 fishing profession upgrades and a gift ability allows you to draw a foraging upgrade, you must discard one of your upgrades (either one of the two fishing upgrades you had previously or you can choose to not keep the foraging upgrade)

Crops never wither, including when entering winter. All previously planted crops stay as is.
As far as planting crops in winter from gift abilities or events - my understanding is if the wording is "any crop from the current season" or something along those lines you wouldn't be able to plant. But if it were to say "any crop from the supply" then you can plant a crop from any season, even during winter

Friends are not shared between players.
The grandpa goal is to have 3 x the number of players friends, but it doesn't matter how those friends are distributed. So if you're playing in a group of 4 and one person has 12 friends and no one else has any, the grandpa goals is completed.

I assume the card you're referring to is the "needy animals" event. I believe that all animals stay happy once pet unless something like this event happens which switches the animals to their opposite sides. So this event can be a great thing (if your animals weren't happy previously) or a detriment (if you had already pet your animals)

I think this would only be applicable / useful for actions for which you only have 1 chance . So it wouldn't have an effect if used at the museum, blacksmith, community center, etc. (since you can do those things multiple times in one action) but it would be useful for mining, fishing, making friends, etc.

Nope, using items like this wouldn't count as an action (unless it explicitly states on the item card "Spend 1 action" or "Spend 2 actions")

Again, I'm not an expert on the rules so I could be very mistaken on these clarifications, but I hope it was helpful!
Thanks so much for the reply!
Lots of games my wife and I play have some small grey areas and we kinda just make up what logically makes sense to us. But we love stardew so much we were just curious!

DefiningKr33d

Newcomer
Question regarding this Mine map tile and the Master Slingshot mining profession: If I have 1 stone, and roll a monster, could I essentially keep choosing the double stone and a monster as my 2 other spaces, and then hit 2 monsters to get 4 new spaces (let’s say 1 Mine Event, double Stone, and 2 monsters) to farm Mine Events infinity? Or does the Master Slingshot only apply if the dice roll a monster?
D9A3F8A1-B6C9-488E-A4C2-1E53C225BF10.jpeg

Tito

Greenhorn
Or does the Master Slingshot only apply if the dice roll a monster?
I’m fairly certain it’s the latter explanation due to the wording of “roll a monster” compared to “pick a monster.” Might be worth taking a look at other cards that trigger in similar ways.

KotNaKacu

Cowpoke
Profession Upgrades:
1) Mariner "Before fishing you may discard up to 2 fish from the Fish Track and draw to replace".
It allows only to discard fish (rubbish not counted)?

2) Botanist "Foragables generate +2 gold when you sell them"
For this rule does it apply only to foregables (mushrom icon) or all tiles that come from foraging (also Wood)?
There was one other profession upgrade that specifically called Ores and Stones to be sold with +2 gold. So i guess the Botanist refers only to ones with shroom icon. Confirmation would be nice :)

3) Spouse vs profession upgrade.
Is my spouse eligible to use profession upgrades i own with my Player tile?
For example i did have Warrior Ring (when encounter a monster ignore and reroll in mines). Would spouse of a Player who has such an item be eligible to use it too? Since we share the inventory etc.
Same would go with the tools (better fishing, better watering).

Gift event:
Gift from friends vs Gift from items/professions.
4) Do they rule out just like the case with "select 1 friend from your villager friends and get gift from that one"? Or they are separate things and when Gift Event happens Player may take gift from the Village separatelly and then from his Profession/Item (like item Tub'o Flowers)?

5) Is there any order in which Gift Event actions are resolved? Or they are technically taking place at the same time without technical order? I am asking this question because I've been in a situation like this.
Player 1 had Tub'O Flowers (Discard on gift action to take 3 hearts) and villager friend.
Player 2 Had Linus friend (whose gift is to pick a discarded items).
There were no items in the discard pile.
If Player 1 would first use and discard Tub'O Flowers then during the same Gift Event Player 2 would possible gain previously discarded item. Is my understanding correct?

End of turn and season card:
6) Starting Player vs Wandering Pet action.
How is the Starting Player token suppose to be shifted and when with Wandering Cat action taking place?
Normally when turn ends Starting Player token is moved +1 spot or it is always supposed to stay with the originally designated Player?
I believed it was the other way and was confused how to act when Wandering Cat event was in place.
In result Starting Player token was bumping all the time.
The manual does not explain it extensivelly.

If needed i can provide photos of the cards i am asking question about.
Sorry if some of those questions were already asked. And huge thanks for any potential questions :)

This game is great! Me and my spouse had a great time playing it yesterday until 1:30 AM!

Last edited:

Colito

Board Game Designer
Staff member
1) Only Fish or Crab Pot Fish.
2) Only the Mushroom icon tiles are considered Forageables once revealed.
3) Yes, Spouse shares everything (just like real life haha!)
4) You get to choose one Villager to activate and then all items/abilities which show the Gift icon also activate.
5) You can choose the order so yes, this is possible.
6) The pet only moves to the next player (thus making them the Starting Player) when you see the Pet Wanders icon on the Season Card. So it may stay with a player for several turns.

Hope this all helps!

KotNaKacu

Cowpoke
Thank you Colito.

Another question.
Shed building -can Player interact with it (in terms of donating items to it) only during planning phase?

So far I've played three games and some buildings seem to be far more valuable than others. Shipping Bin was my most favourite one. While Shed (assuming my question is answered with "yes") seems to be far less interesting one.