A bit of Flim Flam

Lew Zealand

Helper
Backstory: For my second ever save in Stardew Valley I chose the Hilltop Farm. I came to loathe that map enough to attempt to edit my savefile back to the Standard Farm map. That worked but ended up with my buildings and crops half in the drink and inaccessible, a royal screwup. OK, I'll at least undo that damage and go back to Hilltop. That didn't work, couldn't figure out why, got frustrated with it.

And there it languished for about 3 IRL years. Late last year a thread about Hilltop in the Game Suggestions section reminded me of this so I shooed away all the moths and tried to return things in the save to normal Hilltop. And succeeded.

I turned this into a Valley Showcase of the transformation and then started writing about life with Abigail, which quickly exited the realm of Valley Showcase so I'm moving the next section here to Fan Works. This is still an active playthrough, so I'm expanding on in-game events as they happen. I'm playing a year at a time and then writing, but looks like I'll be writing a Season per post because wordy.

Previous events at Flim Flam Farm:

Spring Year 5
"They should have the Egg Hunt every season, right? I mean, your chickens--" Abby caught herself.

Bobbi raised an eyebrow and looked fondly at Abby.
"-our chickens produce eggs all year! So there's no reason to make it just an early Spring thing," Abby said encouragingly. "The year just peaks too early, egg should hunting happen all year!" She finished with a sweeping flourish of her arm.

"Yeah fun events like the Hunt are great and while I think it's nice you still feel young enough to participate," Bobbi said with a hint of mocking, reaching out to pinch a bit of Abby's midsection, "there's no deflecting your obligations in the Flower Dance."
Skittering away from Bobbi's tickly fingers with an incompletely suppressed smile, Abby countered with, "You were there, too! And what are you, mom?? Or are you saying I can't fit in that Flower Dance outfit any more? Because I so can!"

"Oh good, there's no problem then," Bobbi said agreeably. "I picked out a new hat I want to wear which should match your dresses nicely."
Left flat-footed by this unusually adept twist of conversation by her wife, Abigail returned to her omelet, grumbling under her breath but curious about this new hat. The previous new hat had clearly been a joke until Bobbi wore the tin abomination a second day, at which point that failed attempt at humor was stamped right out.

And now Abby was starting to worry maybe just a little bit...

fd4.jpg

"No. It really doesn't seem like you and then you had to go out in front of everyone at the dance wearing that thing? You looked like you were trying to one-up Lewis but forgot your monocle! I half expected you to have a mustache." Abby smiled and stuck a finger straight out from her upper lip, making a face. "I mean, more of a mustache."

"Hey! Haley said she liked it-- the hat! Not the mustache... I don't have a mustache!!" Bobbi was not quite shrill. "And... and Vincent asked if he could have it when I was done with it." Bobbi protested.
"Just tell him he'll be able to grow one himself soon." Abby was gathering a head of steam, quickly continuing before Bobbi processed what she just said, "and Haley said that because as soon as she saw you in that getup, she knew her title as Flower Queen was assured for another year. She couldn't have been happier!"

"Hmph!" Bobbi countered, "That sounds kinda like someone a couple weeks ago during some other contest."
"Oh yeah Miss Smarty?" Abby approached Bobbi slowly with locked eyes, a bit of swagger, and a coy smile, "I didn't see you," she poked Bobbi in the chest with emphasis," sitting that one out and last I looked," she glanced down at an invisible watch on her wrist, "you're the oldie in this house..."

"Well... I didn't want you to feel singled out and anyway," Bobbi looked down and away from Abby as she found eye contact too much at times. "It reminds me of first meeting you in town."
Abby smiled, "When you'd had too much of Pam's spiked punch? I'm sure that had nothing to do with anything right?"

Bobbi smiled back, forcing eye contact again. She still had trouble with this, a remnant of Zuzu City life. "You know, it may have prevented me from seeing many eggs on the ground--"
Abby giggled, "Jas slipped an egg in your basket after you fell 'cause she felt sorry for you not finding any."

"--yeah but it did let me see other things," Bobbi paused, knowing her cheeks were flushing as suddenly the Spring morning was rather warm,"...uhm well other people, maybe just a little bit more clearly."
"Awww that's sweet," Abigail said, giving Bobbi a big hug, "even if that's not the sardonic Bobbi I married so many years ago."

"2 years ago! Less I think." Bobbi protested as they separated. "And I don't smell like sardines... today."

Abby was wearing a big, bemused cheshire smile, exhaling, "hhhmmmm, now that's the Bobbi I know."
"Bobbi, that's the last room I can possibly cram onto this once quaint and rustic farmhouse, especially after you requested removing the interior walls. If you wanted a mansion, I'd have sold you my house and built an even better one!" Bobbi was about to protest something but Robin continued. "Just kidding, anyway I'm sure you could knock it down and get a cut rate mansion builder from Zuzu and just toss aaalllll your money at the big city, right?"

"Why yes, Mrs. Smartypants," Bobbi agreed, "but who am I to donate my hard-earned tax money to some heartless city politician--"
"When you could just donate it to Lewis!" Robin quickly glanced around to see if she'd maybe spoken too loudly but nobody really came out to the farm to visit these days. Bobbi wasn't the new girl anymore and the only thing to gawk about her was a recent proclivity to change her outfit on a whim, when the townspeople really seemed to be stuck in a clothing rut. Heading back inside, Bobbi found Abby with an anticipatory look on her face.

abbyDec.jpg

"Sure Abbs, got any ideas in mind?"
Abby looked down at her stomach, "yeah, they're under there somewhere in hibernation, just haven't seen their shadow yet to know it's Spring." Smiling and continuing in the same breath, "I really want some fishtanks in here for all those fish you catch but I never get to see." Abby tried a pouty mouth but Bobbi knew Abby was really a far more acomplished pottymouth, so this failed. "Could you get us a few and maybe not immediately sell them this time? Maybe some of those big fat ones--"

"That look like you" they both said in unison. "Jinx!" Again at the same time. Abby's hand darted quickly for Bobbi's Bowler hat which she'd been wearing in protest of Abby's comments a week prior and when Bobbi brought up both hands to protect it, Abby went in for the tickle, gaining the upper hand yet again. A non-small amount of wrestling ensued and Abigail inevitably ended up sitting on Bobbi, both out of breath.
She leaned over, saying, "so here's the thing: you fell over because you're wearing those platform elevator boots which make you top heavy," she gave Bobbi a sideways look, "and that's before even considering that hat," Abby glanced around and couldn't spot it. Seeing a possible opening, Bobbi struggled a bit but that only resulted in bringing Abby back to the topic at hand with a tighter grip. "Hopefully gone forever! Together they make you look like an overtoasted marshmallow propped up on a couple of sticks." Abby set her finger on Bobbi's nose and tapped it lightly while speaking sweetly. "You're short like me and you need to deal with it. You don't get to hide it like Emily and that too-long dress of hers." Abby paused in thought for a second. "I think she grabbed it from her mom's wardrobe thinking she'd grow into it and just never left the wedges behind."
"Anyway--- can you breathe OK?" Abby asked, slightly concerned for a second.

"Yes dear, you seem to have learned where to sit and not asphyxiate me, thanks." Bobbi replied with a smirk, grunting it out for effect.
"Aww thanks, I really do try," Abby drew in a bit closer, "to make things nice and comfortable for you since you do all that hard, sweaty work outside." Abby was hamming it up now, and rather dominating Bobbi's vision. "With the Sprinklers and Auto-Grabbers and Greenhouse, I wonder how it is that you keep ending up almost too tired at the end of the day." Abby laid a sweaty smooch on Bobbi and released her from her grip in a manner akin to someone carefully setting an old-style mouse trap.

"Have fun today, dear," Bobbi said, lightly patting Abby on the butt as she passed and avoiding Abby's quick swat, heading out into the damp, late Spring morning sun.
_________

A few days later, Bobbi had purchased a number of large fishtank kits and Abby directed where to place them in the house, designating one of the new expansions as their Fish Room. They built the first talk together but afterwards Abby shooed Bobbi out of the room to go catch some Fish and play with her Farm toys if she got bored, and got to arranging things. As Abby built them, Bobbi filled the tanks with catches and some other fun things after Abby put in carpet and wallpaper and picked out a few bits of furniture to arrange in the room.

Late one afternoon after plopping a lobster and a cool-looking stonefish into the tanks, Bobbi noted that Abby was nowhere to be seen or heard even though it wasn't her usual day out. Casually but carefully walking through the house, not wanting Abby to think she was too concerned but also not wanting to walk straight into yet another jumpscare, Bobbi didn't find her in any of the typical places. Finally wandering back towards the Undersea Paradise room, Bobbi heard some faint noises coming from somewhere in the room. She found Abby sitting in the far corner behind one of the benches she swore weren't there the day before, slouched down almost entirely to the floor, sound asleep. And snoring maybe just a cute little bit.

Even when careful, Bobbi was no more quiet than your average kaiju so as she sat on the apparently creaky bench next to Abby, she woke up.

How Abby.PNG

"Mmmmmph..." Abby rubbed her eyes, squinting at the late afternoon glare streaming down the stairs. She continued weakly, still half-asleep, "Hey hon', whatcher doon?"

"Egg Hunt," Bobbi quipped. "I won!" she continued, reaching over the bench arm and messing up Abby's hair a bit.

"Hah. Wait... Egg h--? Oh!" Abby started laughing, pushing Bobbi's hand of chaos away. "Oh man, I just finished dragging this thing over here after rearranging the other benches and trapped myself and... you know, just decided to rest a bit and," her eyes drifted over to the fish, followed by Bobbi's. "watch the feesh. So calming."

Helping Abby over the arm of the bench, Bobbi didn't relinquish her hand afterwards, quietly directing her posterior next to Bobbi's on the bench to consider their collection. And if all went well, maybe take a nap built for two.

Last edited:

FairyRing

Farmer
Backstory: For my second ever save in Stardew Valley I chose the Hilltop Farm. I came to loathe that map enough to attempt to edit my savefile back to the Standard Farm map. That worked but ended up with my buildings and crops half in the drink and inaccessible, a royal screwup. OK, I'll at least undo that damage and go back to Hilltop. That didn't work, couldn't figure out why, got frustrated with it.

And there it languished for about 3 IRL years. Late last year a thread about Hilltop in the Game Suggestions section reminded me of this so I shooed away all the moths and tried to return things in the save to normal Hilltop. And succeeded.

I turned this into a Valley Showcase of the transformation and then started writing about life with Abigail, which quickly exited the realm of Valley Showcase so I'm moving the next section here to Fan Works. This is still an active playthrough, so I'm expanding on in-game events as they happen. I'm playing a year at a time and then writing, but looks like I'll be writing a Season per post because wordy.

Previous events at Flim Flam Farm:

Spring Year 5
"They should have the Egg Hunt every season, right? I mean, your chickens--" Abby caught herself.

Bobbi raised an eyebrow and looked fondly at Abby.
"-our chickens produce eggs all year! So there's no reason to make it just an early Spring thing," Abby said encouragingly. "The year just peaks too early, egg should hunting happen all year!" She finished with a sweeping flourish of her arm.

"Yeah fun events like the Hunt are great and while I think it's nice you still feel young enough to participate," Bobbi said with a hint of mocking, reaching out to pinch a bit of Abby's midsection, "there's no deflecting your obligations in the Flower Dance."
Skittering away from Bobbi's tickly fingers with an incompletely suppressed smile, Abby countered with, "You were there, too! And what are you, mom?? Or are you saying I can't fit in that Flower Dance outfit any more? Because I so can!"

"Oh good, there's no problem then," Bobbi said agreeably. "I picked out a new hat I want to wear which should match your dresses nicely."
Left flat-footed by this unusually adept twist of conversation by her wife, Abigail returned to her omelet, grumbling under her breath but curious about this new hat. The previous new hat had clearly been a joke until Bobbi wore the tin abomination a second day, at which point that failed attempt at humor was stamped right out.

And now Abby was starting to worry maybe just a little bit...

View attachment 11560
"No. It really doesn't seem like you and then you had to go out in front of everyone at the dance wearing that thing? You looked like you were trying to one-up Lewis but forgot your monocle! I half expected you to have a mustache." Abby smiled and stuck a finger straight out from her upper lip, making a face. "I mean, more of a mustache."

"Hey! Haley said she liked it-- the hat! Not the mustache... I don't have a mustache!!" Bobbi was not quite shrill. "And... and Vincent asked if he could have it when I was done with it." Bobbi protested.
"Just tell him he'll be able to grow one himself soon." Abby was gathering a head of steam, quickly continuing before Bobbi processed what she just said, "and Haley said that because as soon as she saw you in that getup, she knew her title as Flower Queen was assured for another year. She couldn't have been happier!"

"Hmph!" Bobbi countered, "That sounds kinda like someone a couple weeks ago during some other contest."
"Oh yeah Miss Smarty?" Abby approached Bobbi slowly with locked eyes, a bit of swagger, and a coy smile, "I didn't see you," she poked Bobbi in the chest with emphasis," sitting that one out and last I looked," she glanced down at an invisible watch on her wrist, "you're the oldie in this house..."

"Well... I didn't want you to feel singled out and anyway," Bobbi looked down and away from Abby as she found eye contact too much at times. "It reminds me of first meeting you in town."
Abby smiled, "When you'd had too much of Pam's spiked punch? I'm sure that had nothing to do with anything right?"

Bobbi smiled back, forcing eye contact again. She still had trouble with this, a remnant of Zuzu City life. "You know, it may have prevented me from seeing many eggs on the ground--"
Abby giggled, "Jas slipped an egg in your basket after you fell 'cause she felt sorry for you not finding any."

"--yeah but it did let me see other things," Bobbi paused, knowing her cheeks were flushing as suddenly the Spring morning was rather warm,"...uhm well other people, maybe just a little bit more clearly."
"Awww that's sweet," Abigail said, giving Bobbi a big hug, "even if that's not the sardonic Bobbi I married so many years ago."

"2 years ago! Less I think." Bobbi protested as they separated. "And I don't smell like sardines... today."

Abby was wearing a big, bemused cheshire smile, exhaling, "hhhmmmm, now that's the Bobbi I know."
"Bobbi, that's the last room I can possibly cram onto this once quaint and rustic farmhouse, especially after you requested removing the interior walls. If you wanted a mansion, I'd have sold you my house and built an even better one!" Bobbi was about to protest something but Robin continued. "Just kidding, anyway I'm sure you could knock it down and get a cut rate mansion builder from Zuzu and just toss aaalllll your money at the big city, right?"

"Why yes, Mrs. Smartypants," Bobbi agreed, "but who am I to donate my hard-earned tax money to some heartless city politician--"
"When you could just donate it to Lewis!" Robin quickly glanced around to see if she'd maybe spoken too loudly but nobody really came out to the farm to visit these days. Bobbi wasn't the new girl anymore and the only thing to gawk about her was a recent proclivity to change her outfit on a whim, when the townspeople really seemed to be stuck in a clothing rut. Heading back inside, Bobbi found Abby with an anticipatory look on her face.

View attachment 11561

"Sure Abbs, got any ideas in mind?"
Abby looked down at her stomach, "yeah, they're under there somewhere in hibernation, just haven't seen their shadow yet to know it's Spring." Smiling and continuing in the same breath, "I really want some fishtanks in here for all those fish you catch but I never get to see." Abby tried a pouty mouth but Bobbi knew Abby was really a far more acomplished pottymouth, so this failed. "Could you get us a few and maybe not immediately sell them this time? Maybe some of those big fat ones--"

"That look like you" they both said in unison. "Jinx!" Again at the same time. Abby's hand darted quickly for Bobbi's Bowler hat which she'd been wearing in protest of Abby's comments a week prior and when Bobbi brought up both hands to protect it, Abby went in for the tickle, gaining the upper hand yet again. A non-small amount of wrestling ensued and Abigail inevitably ended up sitting on Bobbi, both out of breath.
She leaned over, saying, "so here's the thing: you fell over because you're wearing those platform elevator boots which make you top heavy," she gave Bobbi a sideways look, "and that's before even considering that hat," Abby glanced around and couldn't spot it. Seeing a possible opening, Bobbi struggled a bit but that only resulted in bringing Abby back to the topic at hand with a tighter grip. "Hopefully gone forever! Together they make you look like an overtoasted marshmallow propped up on a couple of sticks." Abby set her finger on Bobbi's nose and tapped it lightly while speaking sweetly. "You're short like me and you need to deal with it. You don't get to hide it like Emily and that too-long dress of hers." Abby paused in thought for a second. "I think she grabbed it from her mom's wardrobe thinking she'd grow into it and just never left the wedges behind."
"Anyway--- can you breathe OK?" Abby asked, slightly concerned for a second.

"Yes dear, you seem to have learned where to sit and not asphyxiate me, thanks." Bobbi replied with a smirk, grunting it out for effect.
"Aww thanks, I really do try," Abby drew in a bit closer, "to make things nice and comfortable for you since you do all that hard, sweaty work outside." Abby was hamming it up now, and rather dominating Bobbi's vision. "With the Sprinklers and Auto-Grabbers and Greenhouse, I wonder how it is that you keep ending up almost too tired at the end of the day." Abby laid a sweaty smooch on Bobbi and released her from her grip in a manner akin to someone carefully setting an old-style mouse trap.

"Have fun today, dear," Bobbi said, lightly patting Abby on the butt as she passed and avoiding Abby's quick swat, heading out into the damp, late Spring morning sun.
_________

A few days later, Bobbi had purchased a number of large fishtank kits and Abby directed where to place them in the house, designating one of the new expansions as their Fish Room. They built the first talk together but afterwards Abby shooed Bobbi out of the room to go catch some Fish and play with her Farm toys if she got bored, and got to arranging things. As Abby built them, Bobbi filled the tanks with catches and some other fun things after Abby put in carpet and wallpaper and picked out a few bits of furniture to arrange in the room.

Late one afternoon after plopping a lobster and a cool-looking stonefish into the tanks, Bobbi noted that Abby was nowhere to be seen or heard even though it wasn't her usual day out. Casually but carefully walking through the house, not wanting Abby to think she was too concerned but also not wanting to walk straight into yet another jumpscare, Bobbi didn't find her in any of the typical places. Finally wandering back towards the Undersea Paradise room, Bobbi heard some faint noises coming from somewhere in the room. She found Abby sitting in the far corner behind one of the benches she swore weren't there the day before, slouched down almost entirely to the floor, sound asleep. And snoring maybe just a cute little bit.

Even when careful, Bobbi was no more quiet than your average kaiju so as she sat on the apparently creaky bench next to Abby, she woke up.

View attachment 11562
"Mmmmmph..." Abby rubbed her eyes, squinting at the late afternoon glare streaming down the stairs. She continued weakly, still half-asleep, "Hey hon', whatcher doon?"

"Egg Hunt," Bobbi quipped. "I won!" she continued, reaching over the bench arm and messing up Abby's hair a bit.

"Hah. Wait... Egg h--? Oh!" Abby started laughing, pushing Bobbi's hand of chaos away. "Oh man, I just finished dragging this thing over here after rearranging the other benches and trapped myself and... you know, just decided to rest a bit and," her eyes drifted over to the fish, followed by Bobbi's. "watch the feesh. So calming."

Helping Abby over the arm of the bench, Bobbi didn't relinquish her hand afterwards, quietly directing her posterior next to Bobbi's on the bench to consider their collection. And if all went well, maybe take a nap built for two.
Yay to the 9th power! :bear::abigail: