1.6 goodies

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
So, i read somewhere that ConcernedApe, recommends a new run, to experience all of the new content, or else "you'll get a bunch of rewards and not know where from"...

Initially, i was planning to start a new run anyway, yet some parts of the game (dungeon crawling, loot hunt, farming, luck), made me reconsider. Especially acquiring enough prismatic shards in order to enchant all your items to the desirable effect and dress yourself in the epitome of tailoring, had been a real pain, true nightmare, for me. Not impossible, yet still, nerve wrecking for certain.

If we continue our existing save, will we miss a lot of stuff?
Also, will everything be accessible, without the need to restart?
Last but not least, since Junimo chests are a thing, will we get a cross account (cross save?) item transfer mechanism? (Those prismatic shards can make people ragequitters)

VampireCake

Rancher
One teaser tweet indicated what seems to be a Joja alternative Ginger Island route, so much like the Community Center/Joja Warehouse I expect you can only do one path per save but get similar rewards. Any new farm type would also obviously need a new save, along with any new game set-up options - like the randomized CC bundles, remixed mines etc. that were added in past updates. Historically the vast majority of updates have added stuff that was accessible to both old and new saves, but I guess really we just have to wait and see. :smile:

edit: I like the idea of cross-save item transfer if it was something you have to purchase in-game, like an upgraded Junimo chest or you pay the wizard a bunch of money to have an item 'teleported' to another file. Visit the wizard in that file to claim your teleported item. Not sure how it would work coding wise, but I'm not a game dev. 🤔

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
In past updates I haven't needed to make a new save and only 1 of my major playthroughs was started after v1.5 with the rest carrying over from v1.4 and v1.3, so there's no need to if you have a save you really like or have advancements you don't want to grind through again.

One thing I've found is parts of the game I previously experienced to be hard or a grind do seem to become easier or at least more manageable the second, third, eleventh time I do them. So I anticipate the grind to get Prizzy Shards for Enchantments will be easier. But then I like the early parts of game playthroughs and find a lot of the later game things less rewarding so I've only even done 1 weapon enchantment, just to see how it was done. Doesn't seem all that compelling to me.

So I think I'll be starting a new save because I like early game stuff and if CA's gonna recommend it, I'll play the game the way he thinks will be most representative of the v1.6 changes.

Odin

Staff member
Like others have mentioned, no past updated has required a new save to access most of the new content, however, there are always some things that a new save is necessary for. Past updates have added new farm layouts, which of course require a new farm. And 1.5 added new settings when starting a new save to let you remix the Community Center bundles as well as change rewards from the mines. At least personally, I usually stick to my main save and have always enjoyed playing through the updates on the same farm I've had for years.

Only ConcernedApe can speak to the upcoming 1.6 update. It sounds like what he's referring to is the fact that if you have a save that you've played through most of the game on, you will just start seeing aspects of the update, rather than experiencing them over the course of a playthrough. This has been true of past updates as well, such as the Special Orders board added in the 1.5 update. For a new save, this unlocks in fall of year 1, but if you started 1.5 on a year 5 farm, you miss that kind of context. It's not that existing saves missed out on the Special Orders board in any way, it was just a slightly different experience.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I’ll definitely get all the content in my main saves as well as starting a new save on the new map type just because it’s really fun to experience content when it was supposed to be accessed by the player. A cool new weapon might be awesome to get in a new save and super lacklustre in an old one just because it was meant to be found in the midgame.

chaskuchar

Sodbuster
since i haven't gotten the community center (fishing) completed in over 20 games it will be enjoyable to start a new game on a new farm...