Linux [1.6] Game freezes/crashes occasionally on Steam Deck with Switch Pro Controller and Steam Input enabled

1313e

Sodbuster
Title kind of says it all.

When playing Stardew Valley 1.6 on Steam Deck and using a Switch Pro Controller wirelessly with Steam Input enabled, the game has a tendency of sometimes disabling controller input and freezing a few seconds after that for up to 3 minutes where time is fully stopped (but music keeps playing). This sometimes leads to the game just crashing after that and sometimes it unfreeze itself (and auto reconnects the controller).
This happens much more often when fishing and especially when in any of the mines (Mines, Skull Cavern, Volcano Dungeon).
It has gotten to the point now where I flatout cannot enter those places anymore as there is a high chance my game will either crash or controller input is disabled for long enough that I die to the enemies.

The above seems to only happen for the very specific setup that I described.
If I use the Steam Deck in handheld mode, this never happens.
If I disable Steam Input, it also never happens.
If I play on PC through Steam with this controller and Steam Input enabled, it also never happens.
I sadly cannot test with a different controller as I don't own non-Pro Controllers (but this does happen with all 3 that I own).
Additionally, this seems to have started on 1.6, as before the update, this specific setup that I have always used did not have this issue.

PS: One may wonder why I simply don't disable Steam Input then. Answer is quite simple: Without Steam Input, the functions of the X and Y buttons are swapped due to the game picking the controller inputs up as an Xbox controller and I cannot for the life of me get used to that due to my 1k+ hours of SV on Switch.

Last edited:

madeithappen

Newcomer
Hello I also have this exact issue. Seems to have started on 1.6. I currently do not have a fix for it either. Hoping to have this bug bumped and addressed soon!
I notice that my pro controller sends a lot of connection and disconnection messages to the deck that causes the communication to latch up and contributes to the lag.

Lexi2890

Farmhand
My Nintendo switch pro controller does not work at all specifically within Stardew after this update. Are there any planned patches to fix this or am I just stuck?
I am not playing on Steam deck just the PC version of steam

willmatic

Newcomer
Ok I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think I've narrowed it down a bit. Every single time my Steam Deck is docked, I'm playing this game with a wireless controller (doesn't seem to matter which one) and the controller disconnects (either due to inactivity or me putting the deck to sleep) the game will freeze when the controller reconnects. After the freeze I often see "gamepad mode enabled" in the corner. After this happens, the game will crash within the next 5 minutes.

I also noticed that I sometimes have to change the controller order in steam settings so that my wireless controller is #2 in order for stardew to recognize it.

No issues when it is undocked and only using the built in controls.

Very strange.