¿Why farm's ponds are dirty?

jolian

Greenhorn
On the normal layout, the ponds are always full of trash sooo I was wondering if there is some lore behind it. I know the farm was neglected for some time but still, that trash ended there by some reason. Could someone have something to do with it? Like Joja ilegally dumping it or even grandpa's family back then.

And greetings from Chile jjjj:bird:

Salty1

Planter
Mechanically, I am sure it is that way just because it was the default farm layout, and it was tailored to actively encourage you to go out and fish at any/all the other locales in town, with other farm layouts to provide better home fishing options in exchange for space/etc.

As for a story reason though, hmm.

I think the main thing with the default layout is:

• It is big and wide open
• It is land-locked

With the riverside and beach farms, the water source carries on from elsewhere and generally continues onward too, so trash is less likely to accumulate en-masse in these areas. And while the water in the forest map is also land-locked, it is surrounded by trees and other cover on all sides, and may perhaps be influenced by a touch of forest magic too.

Grandpa has been gone for some fair time after you open the letter and go to the valley, so it took time for it to get to the overgrown state it is in. When the land is so flat and otherwise exposed, it is easy for all sorts of things to blow through on a windy day. I live in a similarly exposed area, with just some trees and shrubs around my house for cover. When it is windy on trash-pick up day, it can be problematic when there is lots of lightweight trash in the can and it can't stand up to those winds - it can get knocked over and trash will just blow around into wherever it can snag - usually my shrubs and trees. Sometimes I find other people's trash around here after windy days too. Perhaps on the default layout, there is a similar issue with a lot of trash having accumulated in the water just due to wind blowing it around until it catches on the weeds at the sides of the pond or otherwise gets wet and sinks.

That would be my interpretation, anyways.

Jaicolantern

Greenhorn
You know what would be pretty cool? A new item that you put next to your regular pond that constantly 'sucks' trash, it produces a random trash everyday and you get a clearer pond at the same time where you can catch fish

Cuusardo

Farmer
I have witnessed the migration of trash and litter IRL so I just assumed that's why most of the farms have so much junk in their ponds. One could argue that the river on in the riverlands layout sweeps most of the trash away, but by that logic the little river on the hilltop farm should do the same. On the other hand, that smaller river in the hilltop layout doesn't have as much power and space to sweep all the trash through, so it makes something of a bottleneck.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Well to keep the game consistent, you should at least be able to Fish or Hoe up some daggers or wooden swords, maybe a quartz or two, seeing as Abigail is initially miffed that someone is moving in to her old exploration grounds. That would also help in-game for those of us who have, ah, otherwise lost a few precious things in the Mines whilst ignoring our Health. I mean that's for a friend, I would never be so irresponsible. More than once a month.

Lew Zealand

Helper
What I wanna know is why there's so much newspaper and driftwood hanging out with the lava eels.
The Lava Eels only read the Arts section of the newspaper where they learn the art of Woodworking and toss the rest out. One day they hope to enter their Dirftwood creations at the Stardew Valley Fair and show Leah and Robin where it's at.

Their biggest Achilles' Heel: No thumbs to hold implements. Or fingers.

LRangerR

Local Legend
The Lava Eels only read the Arts section of the newspaper where they learn the art of Woodworking and toss the rest out. One day they hope to enter their Dirftwood creations at the Stardew Valley Fair and show Leah and Robin where it's at.

Their biggest Achilles' Heel: No thumbs to hold implements. Or fingers.
That's not...
Ermm....but...
The real problem...
....you know what, nevermind.

We know that trash sinks to the bottom and Pam can't swim!. No seriously with the closeness of the bus station it's just probably wind blown trash. My Uncle has a ranch that is adjacent to the freeway and you would have to sein it twice a week to keep it clean

Last edited: