Can I change farm type mid game?

DezzyJ

Greenhorn
I have a standard farm but would love to change to a forager farm, do I have to start all over again?

Lew Zealand

Helper
All you are doing is editing 2 text files which can be done on a Mac. From Adapt's link but Mac-ified:

In the Finder,

Open Go To Folder from the Go menu
Copy & Paste the following path into the box:

~/.config/StardewValley/Saves

and click Go

It'll open up Stardew Valley's Saves folder where you can find a folder for each of your Farmers with his/her name and a serial number attached.
**I would immediately Copy your Farmer folder of interest and Paste a copy somewhere else for safekeeping, like into your Documents folder or similar.
In the folder of interest, there should be 2 files with the name of your character with a string of numbers after them, open both in TextEdit (I've also been editing the .old file just to be safe.)
Hit Cmd + F and enter <whichFarm> it should bring up something similar to <whichFarm>0</whichFarm> All you have to do is edit the number in the middle.

0 = Standard Farm
1 = River farm
2 = Forest Farm
3 = Hill-top farm
4 = Wilderness farm

Edit BOTH files with the same number and save them.
Then just open your game, then that farmer and you're good to go.

I tested this on my PC and the search ID's my farms correctly but I haven't attempted the edit to switch farm types yet. It should work the same on your Mac.

EDIT: OK I just did this and it worked. However, you will need to clean up your farm first because (in my case) the Hill Top farm has farmable locations which in the Standard farm is in the ponds. So some of my crops are inaccessible and it looks messy of course. I need to restore my original save folder I put in my Documents folder, remove those first, and repeat the process to make sure the Standard farm looks normal. Same would happen for buildings, so a bit of cleanup needs to happen first.

Last edited:

Odin

Staff member
I'm s Mac and bit techno complicated for this country bumpkin!
In this context they were using PC to refer to any device running Windows, Mac, or Linux. As opposed to if your were playing on mobile or console :)

Save editing to switch farms is definitely not a simply task though, as Lew Zealand mentioned you'll need to do a fair bit of re-arranging

Crumby

Greenhorn
Does anyone know if you can do it on Xbox because I had the forest farm because I just clicked it randomly when I first started but now I have no hay for the animals because there is basically no grass

Ereo

Helper
Does anyone know if you can do it on Xbox because I had the forest farm because I just clicked it randomly when I first started but now I have no hay for the animals because there is basically no grass
Since you don't have access to the save file, I don't know if that is even possible.

The grass problem is not related to the farm type though. You can have enough grass or run out on the second season in any farm.

It depends on how much space you dedicate to grass vs farming and buildings, how many animals you have, how much grass you planted, etc.

I think there are a couple of threads on animal feed strategies already.

All you are doing is editing 2 text files which can be done on a Mac. From Adapt's link but Mac-ified:

In the Finder,

and click Go

It'll open up Stardew Valley's Saves folder where you can find a folder for each of your Farmers with his/her name and a serial number attached.
**I would immediately Copy your Farmer folder of interest and Paste a copy somewhere else for safekeeping, like into your Documents folder or similar.
In the folder of interest, there should be 2 files with the name of your character with a string of numbers after them, open both in TextEdit (I've also been editing the .old file just to be safe.)
Hit Cmd + F and enter <whichFarm> it should bring up something similar to <whichFarm>0</whichFarm> All you have to do is edit the number in the middle.

0 = Standard Farm
1 = River farm
2 = Forest Farm
3 = Hill-top farm
4 = Wilderness farm

I tested this on my PC and the search ID's my farms correctly but I haven't attempted the edit to switch farm types yet. It should work the same on your Mac.

EDIT: OK I just did this and it worked. However, you will need to clean up your farm first because (in my case) the Hill Top farm has farmable locations which in the Standard farm is in the ponds. So some of my crops are inaccessible and it looks messy of course. I need to restore my original save folder I put in my Documents folder, remove those first, and repeat the process to make sure the Standard farm looks normal. Same would happen for buildings, so a bit of cleanup needs to happen first.
If you want to check that things will line up, set up your farm in the stardew valley planner then change farm types on there. I expect (maybe you can confirm) the translation which happens should roughly align with what will happen in game?

Lew Zealand

Helper
If you want to check that things will line up, set up your farm in the stardew valley planner then change farm types on there. I expect (maybe you can confirm) the translation which happens should roughly align with what will happen in game?
So I just went all willy-nilly and changed it and yes, I think if you used Stardew Planner to avoid the water (and other) tiles, that Farm Map change would work perfectly. The tiles all ended up in a consistent location. However I did no such careful thing because you learn lots more by just horribly mangling your (admittedly annoying) Farm and thereby discovering your true potential to Make Things Worse. Hey, I know what I'm good at now!

I haven't yet returned to that save to recover use of the Hilltop Farm and then actually do things carefully before switching (I hear people calling that 'planning'), but one day I will. Abigail can be very patient when she chooses to and at least I got far enough in that save to see her 14 :heart: event.

Just remember if you can't serve as a good example, there's always the opportunity to set the standard as the bad example.

I do like the Forest Farm, but it's so limiting sometimes that I'm thinking I'll just switch back to normal. Since it's winter, it's as good a time as any.

hanster

Greenhorn

In the Finder,

and click Go

0 = Standard Farm
1 = River farm
2 = Forest Farm
3 = Hill-top farm
4 = Wilderness farm

Hi there! I made an account just cuz I really wanted to say thank you for sharing this!! I've been trying to figure out how to change my farm name on mac for eons and this advice got me there :) Hope you have a great day!

Heccles

Greenhorn
I changed my farm on Mac from forest to default, is there any way I can get rid of the bushes that are natural to the forest farm?

Jayamos

Farmer
If you’re on Forest Farm with an upgraded axe you can cut down the bushes, but I don‘t think you can do that on other maps. You might have to go back to FF, chop down bushes, then change to standard farm.

imnvs

Local Legend
I changed my farm on Mac from forest to default, is there any way I can get rid of the bushes that are natural to the forest farm?
When changing maps, things get weird... but it is possible. You'll need an upgraded axe either way, though.

Heccles

Greenhorn
yeah no that's a shout, I've got an iridium axe so I'll go round and do that. I also noticed that when I swapped farms the grass stayed above the new pond so I'll go back and do that today. Thanks for the help :)

Lew Zealand

Helper
One thing I noticed the last time I was on the Forest map was that you can't chop all the bushes down, only some of them. Or I could have been doing it wrong, that's my default strategy and then attempt to improve from there. However you may still be stuck with some unwanted bushes after the double map swap, please let us know how well this worked!

Jayamos

Farmer
One thing I noticed the last time I was on the Forest map was that you can't chop all the bushes down, only some of them. Or I could have been doing it wrong, that's my default strategy and then attempt to improve from there. However you may still be stuck with some unwanted bushes after the double map swap, please let us know how well this worked!
I think that’s correct. Close to the farm boundary up top, you’re stuck with them, and I think there are others.