Quirks and Habits

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
On every file, I have to set up my greenhouse with eight of each continuously-growing crop, a quality sprinkler in the center of each set of eight. I put trees on the sides, cactus plants at the top, and tea bushes at the bottom, where there's still a bit of soil space left. Before each season is out, I have to grab eight of each of its continuously-growing crops so I don't have to wait another year for them to be in stock again. And if I accidentally miss a day when the Cart Lady is in town, I can't help but wonder if I missed a day where she had a red cabbage, or even red cabbage seeds.

ZoeyIC

Greenhorn
Wow there are some really interesting ones here for sure!

I have only ever made one farm, and I always make to do the following~

-Pet all my animals without fail every morning
-Have most of my tools on me no matter what
-Steal from the trash every chance I get without having myself look bad
-Drink coffee every morning just because I feel like coffee is my spirit animal (is that how that works?)
-Make sure my horse is in her stable by 8pm, or 12am at the latest
-Make sure the little cave on the farm is empty! It's this really naggy neurotic thing for me haha.

quirmzi

Sodbuster
Whenever i get mayonaise or cheese from chicken cows i like to save it for 7 days and then pair it with my wine to get big money on the chart. I never sell mayonaise everyday but store it for 7 days before seeing it. I like seeing big numbers. Same with pig truffles.
Me too! I always sell all of last seasons crops on the first day of the new season instead of as soon as they’re ready. I’ll go from being poor to having hundreds of thousands of gold overnight.
Your drum and flute block as an alarm is a cool idea! I never know what to do with them. Maybe I'll try it out.

Storm Eagle

Farmhand
Always move the original fireplace to the "hole" in the left side of the kitchen after the second farmhouse expansion. Then when I get the bear statue from Gunther I always place it in front of that fireplace so that it looks like the top of its head is on fire.

What else? Usually name the horse Trigger, farmhouse looks like an art gallery late game because there is a picture on every open inch of wall. Almost always attack slimes from below, just because. Like collecting weapons, rings, and gems.

Bark Ruffalo

Planter
Do you guys have any particular habits in SDV that might be a little roundabout or not typical, but you love doing them, whether it be just what you're used to, for immersion sake, roleplaying, etc.

For example I typically am very anti-sprinkler until I can start buying and crafting iridium sprinklers, and even then I am still big on upgrading my watering can asap. I also like to water my cat's bowl even in endgame because I feel like a monster otherwise ): what if kitty doesn't like drinking out of the pond?

My more recent quirk has just been to make a ton of green tea and hold it in my inventory for no real reason other than I really like the item and it gives me warm feelings. I do use it to mass gift since just about everyone likes it but the tea is mostly for me, hehehe.
the green tea icon is so pretty and soothing. I keep them around, also. Just for kicks :)

Bark Ruffalo

Planter
I always pet the camel before going into the skull cavern for luck.

Also, killing large mobs of monsters with the burglars ring equipped is probably the most satisfying experience for me. Feels so good to round up 10 mummies and bomb them all then get a bunch of cloth.
I always pet the cart lady's purple pig. he grunts :)

Kika

Greenhorn
I'm the same way, mine always have to be in a certain order. Axe | Pickaxe | Hoe | Watering Can/Sword/Fishing Rod | Scythe for me. For modded players, Better Sort has an option to allow you to lock certain spots so they don't move when clicking sort!
I always organize my tools in a specific way, something like: Sword | Axe | Hoe | Pickaxe | Scythe | Fishing Rod
If it's any other way I always get mixed up when I switch between tools.
Same. Mine's watering can, hoe, axe, pickaxe, galaxy sword, return scepter, and then I'll put up the scythe, fishing rod, or copper pan as needed. Coffee goes in tile 8 haha.

Anhaga

Rancher
I realized a couple of days ago that I have a rather funny habit that's pretty ingrained: I always get out of sight of characters for whom I've just done a quest before I open the quest and take the money. It feels rude to count money in front of the people who just paid you.

Potatoes

Farmer
I like to do specific runs. Some of them are your run of the mill "Farming only" or "mining only" but some of my favorites have been the harder ones. Like my forage only run. The rules were I couldn't buy anything from Pierre's or joja, only from the traveling merchant and Krobus (and of course Clint, Robin and Marnie since they could do essential things that you couldn't), I could cut weeds and trees, and I could mine rocks but only outside the mines and I had to go around picking up foragables for most of my money. I could still farm (but only if I got seeds from weeds) and fish (If I had fish ponds) and ranch (though I couldn't buy any birds since there was a way to buy get them other then from Marnie).

This made getting bundles difficult (especially the one where you have to get 5 gold star veggies). But it was fun because I was figuring out how to make the most out of everything and making hard choices. Do I buy that void egg from the traveling merchant so I can start hatching void chickens even though it'll take up most of my money, or do I go for a rare seed instead? Do I use my iron to upgrade a tool or build something?

About the only bad thing about it was that progress kind of took a long time as you might imagine but I was able to build up a relationship with the townsfolk pretty quickly cause I was always moving around and could change my schedule easily if I wanted to try and focus on someone. This run was probably the easiest I ever found Sebastion in fact!
Whoa, that’s sounds really difficult but interesting. I’d like to try giving one of those runs a try!
(Hopefully the traveling merchant will actually have the things I’m looking for though...)

TheBookDragon

Sodbuster
A lot! I always marry Shane, I absolutely have to fill my cats watering bowl, I absolutely have to pet my animals, I cannot leave my horse and wait for him to find his way home - I will always come to find him if I can't remember where I left him which unfortunately has happened. My tools need to be in this order: Pickaxe, sword, axe, hoe, scythe, watering can, I only give gifts to NPCs on their birthdays (and the quests). I just don't like the idea of making friends by giving gifts. I don't go looking for them unless I have a quest, but I have to stop what I'm doing and talk to every NPC I see.

Boo1972

Farmer
I completely relate to most of these habits. I learned to keep the pickaxe away from the watering can the hard way. But I always have to follow an NPC around for awhile if they ask me to hang out. Feels rude just to leave! I also stop and fish with Willy if I see him out fishing. Plus, I feel bad not using Pam’s bus or buying food from Gus occasionally. Got to support the local economy!

Lew Zealand

Helper
I. Must. Relationship.

I am Relationship's slave.

Pet kids, water wife, hug horse, kiss pigs and dinosaurs, cat always back to the stable. Run after everyone on the screen (@70% 1440p) to say Hi!

Why is Leah running around the lake to avoid me?
Why does Elliot lock his door whenever he sees me?
Why does Shane have his back to me at Joja?
Why does Abigail hide in 6 different places on the map?
Why does Sebastian smoke right where I want to fish?
Why does Penny talk about Vincent and Jas when we have our own kids?
Why is Haley always the first to 10 hearts?

Hmmm, OK maybe it's me. A little obsessive. Yes, I occasionally water zombies when the equipment gets out of order but I generally make it back by pickaxeing Ancient seeds on their 3rd week of growth. Also soggy zombies are slower. It's all a plan. A messy, imperfect plan.

And I can redo all of those days at 1:50AM. What a game for a perfectionist.