Question Is it possible to create a mod to manually control/possess NPCs?

Grimn One

Greenhorn
Is it possible to create a mod to manually control/possess NPCs? Like is there a way to basically control there movement and make them walk around the map as if you were playing on them? I imagine if it is it could unlock some good roleplay potential.

Lenora Rose

Farmer
That sounds like some seriously complex coding. I know you can write mods to adjust NPC's schedules as a whole, and there's at least one in Alpha* that gets them to follow you and assist you with your day (if they have relevant skills, so Leah forages and Abigail can help fight in the mine), but not how to create one that lets you move them around in the moment.

What would be the purpose?

*it says it's in Alpha but it seems to be pretty well established from what I can tell from the outside, as someone who doesn't use it.

Comm

Tiller
Is it possible to create a mod to manually control/possess NPCs? Like is there a way to basically control there movement and make them walk around the map as if you were playing on them? I imagine if it is it could unlock some good roleplay potential.
Probably but it must be super hard because it's called an NPC for a reason. NPC = Non-Playable Character

Grimn One

Greenhorn
That sounds like some seriously complex coding. I know you can write mods to adjust NPC's schedules as a whole, and there's at least one in Alpha* that gets them to follow you and assist you with your day (if they have relevant skills, so Leah forages and Abigail can help fight in the mine), but not how to create one that lets you move them around in the moment.

What would be the purpose?

*it says it's in Alpha but it seems to be pretty well established from what I can tell from the outside, as someone who doesn't use it.
I actually don't know if it'd have a real, genuinely useful purpose. It'd probably only be something to entertain role-players and folks who want to take some wacky but interesting screenshots.