Self-sufficient Run

Boo1972

Farmer
I was initially calling this an “anti-capitalist” run, because I’m boycotting Joja and Pierre’s (except for the backpack upgrades, bouquet and catalog-I still want to enjoy myself). Charlie Barley beat me to it and is going much more hardcore than I planned to. Anyway, I’ve decided services are fine from Clint and Robin, but no buying resources. I’ll also buy the fishing rods. The traveling cart, desert trader, island trader, and night market are fine and necessary as I probably couldn’t complete the Community center otherwise.

I’m not sure what to do about Gus and Sandy.

My most immediate problem though is the egg festival. It’s 3 days away. Do I buy the strawberry seeds? The only way to get them is from Pierre and I love growing them in spring. I’ve already established the “I can break the rules when necessary for enjoyment” clause. But. It seems so against the spirit of the run. But I need to grow strawberries for perfection. But I’m not sure this farm will last that long. Ugh. Any thoughts?

Ereo

Helper
Perfection is almost impossible on a "no buy" run. You can't get all seeds/products without buying some (technically, travelling cart might be possible, but it would take forever).

Maybe just buy one instead of your usual amount?

hexnessie

Farmer
I tried a similar run recently, but wimped out late in my first year. I *really* wanted that greenhouse before winter and wouldn't have made it otherwise - with mostly Mixed Seeds planting, my farming XP wasn't even high enough to get the seedmaker...

So I made the adjustment that I can buy 5 seed MAX per crop.

I

Lew Zealand

Helper
I like this idea but I also agree that enjoyment is necessary and finishing the Community Center is a reasonable goal as it's woven into the ethos of the game so well. Introducing the new player to gameplay, giving the Farmer motivation and encouraging planning, and expanding on the game's story. I haven't played remixed Bundles yet but maybe there's a mode or option in there which makes this kind of a run possible.

IMO this seems like an Artisanal run where you can buy crafted products from sellers, but not raw materials. So Fishing Rods, Axe upgrades, and House upgrades are all good as those are an expression of the tradespersons' talents, just as selling crops and crafted items are for the Farmer. And since some kind person here mentioned that the Red Cabbage Seed is a monster drop, maybe this run could be possible with buying no resources/seeds? I'd have to see what Mixed Seeds gets you each month. The Quality Items bundle could take a lot of time.

Or maybe just a lot of planning.

Boo1972

Farmer
I was thinking of buying all necessary community center crops at the night market, which means a year 2 completion for the community center. I’ll need green bean, hops (got the brewers bundle) blueberry, tomato, pepper, and possibly corn and eggplant. I also lucked out and got the rare crops bundle. I’m thinking that I’ll purchase crops at the night market for the next year and call it good enough. I think as long as I boycott Pierre (mostly) and Joja and gather my own resources, I’ll be happy.

Still leaves the strawberries up in the air. I think I’ll take hexnessie’s advice and just buy a few for perfection sake. I’ll have to buy a rarecrow from Pierre anyway.

Now, the eternal question- fruit bats or mushrooms? I’m thinking mushrooms since I don’t have the artisan bundle and mushrooms will help with the wild medicine bundle. But the fruit bats help my foraging level and will get me the pomegranate I’ll need. I guess I’ll make that decision when I finally make some real money.

imnvs

Local Legend
Now, the eternal question- fruit bats or mushrooms? I’m thinking mushrooms since I don’t have the artisan bundle and mushrooms will help with the wild medicine bundle. But the fruit bats help my foraging level and will get me the pomegranate I’ll need. I guess I’ll make that decision when I finally make some real money.
Okay, as for the pomegranate? You can get any fruit tree sapling available from Pierre from the SC treasure levels. I literally just did, a few hours ago, get a pom sapling, actually. (I sold it because I don't need any more.)

Boo1972

Farmer
Okay, as for the pomegranate? You can get any fruit tree sapling available from Pierre from the SC treasure levels. I literally just did, a few hours ago, get a pom sapling, actually. (I sold it because I don't need any more.)
That’s a good idea. I think opening skull cavern early is going to be my plan. I’ll spend year 1 mining and fishing and year 2 farming. We’ll see how it goes

Boo1972

Farmer
Yeah, I might save all my mixed seeds for fall. If I do I’ll need to get summer crops from the night market. But you’re right, peppers and tomatoes do come from mixed seeds- sometimes more than I’d like.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I checked the Wiki and the following are needed for the CC but missing from Mixed Seeds (assuming it's accurate of course):

Spring Crops
Green Bean

Summer Crops
Tomato
Blueberry
Melon

Chef's Bundle
Poppy

Dye Bundle
Sunflower

Yams for Winter Crops are also not available but are dropped by Duggies, so no problem there. I think @Boo1972 's Night Market option is probably the most parsimonious way to get these seeds within this Challenge and I'm interested to try it as well, though I have too many projects already.

LRangerR

Local Legend
It's accurate, but if you're lucky you can get some of those seeds or the crops themselves from the travelling cart. And failing that there's the seed vendor in the night market, but that's just taking the easy way out of things :P

Boo1972

Farmer
My biggest problem with the traveling cart is my forgetfulness. I get up, do farm chores, mine, fish and as soon as I’m home ready for bed I realize- I forgot to visit the traveling cart. Next big problem is cost. Her prices are a bit extreme.

Lew Zealand

Helper
My biggest problem with the traveling cart is my forgetfulness. I get up, do farm chores, mine, fish and as soon as I’m home ready for bed I realize- I forgot to visit the traveling cart.
Yes this OMG 100% every time! I think I need a Purple Slime which comes by and whacks me upside the head every 2 hours or so on Fridays and Sundays, taking more Health off every time until I head over to visit the Cart Lady.

Maybe Penny or Sebastian could convince Sam to do this as another part-time job since it won't interfere with his other employment. And he could squirt grape juice at me while wearing this hat to maintain the illusion:

OK fine if he doesn't like the color, Abby could do it. She needs a first job more than Sam needs a second.

FarmerJoJo

Planter
My biggest problem with the traveling cart is my forgetfulness. I get up, do farm chores, mine, fish and as soon as I’m home ready for bed I realize- I forgot to visit the traveling cart. Next big problem is cost. Her prices are a bit extreme.
Yes this OMG 100% every time! I think I need a Purple Slime which comes by and whacks me upside the head every 2 hours or so on Fridays and Sundays, taking more Health off every time until I head over to visit the Cart Lady.
Yes! My farmer seriously needs a Day Timer (since SDV doesn't have smart phones). Friday - go to Cart Lady, then check out pub. Tuesday - don't visit Marnie or Robin. Not remembering to visit the cart is the main reason I've held off trying the self-sufficient run.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Just make it a chore every Friday and Sunday to check the cart. Make it part of your morning routine for those days. That's more or less what I did. Pretty much you can get it done and most of your farming before the shops open at 9. And the best thing is the cartlady opens at 6.

Maybe Penny or Sebastian could convince Sam to do this as another part-time job since it won't interfere with his other employment. And he could squirt grape juice at me while wearing this hat to maintain the illusion:

OK fine if he doesn't like the color, Abby could do it. She needs a first job more than Sam needs a second.
This is...just too much yes, too good. As fun as adventuring is, it's hard to pay the bills with it, so this could be a good money maker for her.
Yes! My farmer seriously needs a Day Timer (since SDV doesn't have smart phones). Friday - go to Cart Lady, then check out pub. Tuesday - don't visit Marnie or Robin. Not remembering to visit the cart is the main reason I've held off trying the self-sufficient run.
What's at the pub?
Also, something about marnie and Monday, I believe.