Just found 3 prismatic shards in 4 days!?

Emiy

Farmhand
I just found 3 prismatic shards in 4 days...I wasn't even looking for them specifically. The first one I found was in the lava levels of the regular mines and a monster dropped it when I killed it which I feel like is a super low possibility but maybe I'm wrong.

The second and third shards I found on consecutive days in the beginning levels of the regular mines. They both came from fighting green slimes. Also I specifically checked what my luck was on those days and the tv said the spirits were extremely perturbed and would do everything to make my life difficult. Like what? Apparently this is the best way to find prismatic shards. Not complaining, but is there something wrong with the algorithm?

Ereo

Helper
There's nothing wrong with the algorithm, luck just doesn't affect monster drops.

Congratulations on your real life luck!

Wiki said:
Daily luck affects the following:

Mining
Other

nicodeux

Farmer
Congratulations, on your prismatic shards! Go grab that nice shiny sword if you don't already have it.

Not complaining, but is there something wrong with the algorithm?
Nothing's wrong: you were very lucky with random numbers generation (RNG) and managed to roll thrice a low probability throw in a short amount of time. But because such rolls are unlikely (though perfectly possible), when this happens the human brain always try to find reasons or patterns to explain it.

Better that way than never managing to find an item with high drop chance! :happy:

Emiy

Farmhand
Congratulations, on your prismatic shards! Go grab that nice shiny sword if you don't already have it.

Nothing's wrong: you were very lucky with random numbers generation (RNG) and managed to roll thrice a low probability throw in a short amount of time. But because such rolls are unlikely (though perfectly possible), when this happens the human brain always try to find reasons or patterns to explain it.

Better that way than never managing to find an item with high drop chance! :happy:
Thanks! Galaxy sword was the first thing I got! I'm saving up the others for the prismatic shard challenge from Qi on Ginger island.

Thanks! Galaxy sword was the first thing I got! I'm saving up the others for the prismatic shard challenge from Qi on Ginger island.
I would recommend using those other prismatic shards to enchant your tools and weapons in The Volcano Forge You can do that quest after, I promise you won't regret enchanting your stuff ;-)

Emiy

Farmhand
I would recommend using those other prismatic shards to enchant your tools and weapons in The Volcano Forge You can do that quest after, I promise you won't regret enchanting your stuff ;-)
Thanks for the recommendation. Wondering what enchantments are best? I was wanting to get enough Qi gems to get some galaxy souls and get the infinity blade, but if enchantments are better then that's good to know.

Thanks for the recommendation. Wondering what enchantments are best? I was wanting to get enough Qi gems to get some galaxy souls and get the infinity blade, but if enchantments are better then that's good to know.
If you're doing a galaxy sword, then the best enchantment is crusader. For a hammer the best is artful. For hoe and watering can, reaching is best IMO. Swift is best for pickaxe and ax. BTW, you can enchant your galaxy sword and then turn it into an infinity weapon and it will keep its enchantments. I would also recommend forging 3 rubies into your sword. It is best in my opinion since the galaxy sword is already fast and ruby increases damage.

Emiy

Farmhand
If you're doing a galaxy sword, then the best enchantment is crusader. For a hammer the best is artful. For hoe and watering can, reaching is best IMO. Swift is best for pickaxe and ax. BTW, you can enchant your galaxy sword and then turn it into an infinity weapon and it will keep its enchantments. I would also recommend forging 3 rubies into your sword. It is best in my opinion since the galaxy sword is already fast and ruby increases damage.
Awesome, thanks for the advice! This is my second playthrough...I got to ginger island on my first playthrough but didn't complete any qi challenges or use the forge at all. I basically started over solely because I wanted to do ginger island without being married because I kept feeling guilty for leaving my husband and kids alone for long periods of time. I'm on my second winter so I'm still getting the iridium to open the island.

imnvs

Local Legend
Wondering what enchantments are best?
Well, in my not so humble opinion...

Weapon: Crusader
Axe: Shaving
Pickaxe: Powerful
Hoe and Watering Can: Reaching
Iridium Rod: Master
I was wanting to get enough Qi gems to get some galaxy souls and get the infinity blade, but if enchantments are better then that's good to know.
You can find Galaxy Souls. Sure, that's only in the hard mines and in the skull cavern during the invasion... but you can find them. If you've reached this point in the game, I recommend getting the hard mines and leaving it on hard mode. Adventure in the mines somewhat regularly for the radioactive ore you'll want for some of your late game crafting, and at the same time be hunting for galaxy souls and Qi gems.

So, when you get to the forge, what do you do first?

You forge rubies on that galaxy sword you already have. Then you enchant it to be a crusader. After that... it's based on your preferences and your luck in gathering the resources you need.

Emiy

Farmhand
I actually did not know this. Good to know. With my slime ring (Which is the whole reason I was fighting green slimes in the first place). my enchanted galaxy sword, and my fruit salad, I should be all set to spend some time in the hard mines and find those things!

You can find Galaxy Souls. Sure, that's only in the hard mines and in the skull cavern during the invasion... but you can find them. If you've reached this point in the game, I recommend getting the hard mines and leaving it on hard mode. Adventure in the mines somewhat regularly for the radioactive ore you'll want for some of your late game crafting, and at the same time be hunting for galaxy souls and Qi gems.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Well... Enchantments are a nice sideline for the Prismatic Shard adventurer but outside of the Galaxy Sword, the real Prismatic Shard action is in the Sewing Machine.

One of the true RNG elements of the game and you'll look simultaneously smashing, magnetic, stylish, and most importantly garish in whatever you end up Tailoring.

Mmmm, except for... well, sorry if it happens to you but maybe Tailor first thing in the morning so you can restart the day if you get the Genie Pants...

Remember that in order for things to look exceptionally good, you need something exceptionally bad to compare to.

Emiy

Farmhand
Lol 😂 Hadn't thought of tailoring with them yet...I'm not rolling in prismatic shards quite yet. Although if I have a few more days like these last few, then I might be. As of right now my priorities concerning the shards are:

1. Weapons and tools
2. Complete museum collection
3.Genie Pants so I can look ✨garish✨

Well... Enchantments are a nice sideline for the Prismatic Shard adventurer but outside of the Galaxy Sword, the real Prismatic Shard action is in the Sewing Machine.

One of the true RNG elements of the game and you'll look simultaneously smashing, magnetic, stylish, and most importantly garish in whatever you end up Tailoring.

Mmmm, except for... well, sorry if it happens to you but maybe Tailor first thing in the morning so you can restart the day if you get the Genie Pants...

Remember that in order for things to look exceptionally good, you need something exceptionally bad to compare to.

Last edited:
others have given excellent recommendations already for enchantments, I’ll just add that “bottomless” is very convenient for the watering can, “generous” is great for the hoe if you need a lot of clay, and “haymaker” is a surprisingly nice enchant to have around on a weapon, albeit probably not your main one.

The Pickaxe debate is an interesting one- “swift” is strictly better on rocks which break in one hit or 4+, which is to say copper, iron, big rocks, iridium, and all normal rocks in the normal mines and skull caverns. “Powerful” is better on rocks which require 2 hits (50% speed increase vs 33%) and equivalent on rocks which require 3 hits. So it’s equivalent on gold and crystals, and strictly superior on rocks in the volcano area.

However on the strength of the volcano rocks alone, I’m using Powerful, since I value that benefit more than the loss in efficiency elsewhere. Both are certainly good, of course, which one is better depends on what activity you do more. It’s just that in most cases where Swift is better I’m using bombs not pickaxes anyway, the only time I tend to actually swing that thing is in the relatively narrow and constrained paths in the volcano where it’s faster to clear the 1 rock in your way than it is to wait for a bomb to go off.

imnvs

Local Legend
It’s just that in most cases where Swift is better I’m using bombs not pickaxes anyway, the only time I tend to actually swing that thing is in the relatively narrow and constrained paths in the volcano where it’s faster to clear the 1 rock in your way than it is to wait for a bomb to go off.
This.

Now, with some sheepishness I will admit that if you search back far enough you'll find posts where I advocated for the Swift enchant on a Pickaxe too...

...so, now, let me say clearly and emphatically that I was wrong then. Powerful is the choice for Pickaxe for exactly the reason I have quoted.

In the Mines and the Skull Cavern you're looking for stairs to appear under a slain monster or a destroyed node. Explosions are where it is at. Bombs, Explosive Ammo and the Napalm Ring are how you advance. You don't need your pickaxe in these places.

However, in the Volcano Dungeon, the rocks being destroyed aren't going to find you a quick way down. You need to find the stairs up to the next level. Rocks are just impediments. Sometimes explosions are worth it if you're just using Explosive Ammo or the explosion of a Napalm Ring to clear a path, but in the case where there's only 1 rock in your way? One swing of a Powerful Pickaxe is quicker than two swings of a Swift Pickaxe.

Ellajoy

Rancher
I just found 3 prismatic shards in 4 days...I wasn't even looking for them specifically. The first one I found was in the lava levels of the regular mines and a monster dropped it when I killed it which I feel like is a super low possibility but maybe I'm wrong.

The second and third shards I found on consecutive days in the beginning levels of the regular mines. They both came from fighting green slimes. Also I specifically checked what my luck was on those days and the tv said the spirits were extremely perturbed and would do everything to make my life difficult. Like what? Apparently this is the best way to find prismatic shards. Not complaining, but is there something wrong with the algorithm?
Give me your luck!