Windows [HELP] Game is not launching in Steam for 1.5.6 version

CactusCactacea

Newcomer
I played the 1.5.4 version of the game for a long time and not update it to 1.5.5 when it was release. So don't know if this problem happened in that version too.

I use Windows 10 64 bits with:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz 3.17 GHz
RAM 4,00 GB

I install XNA last version, and reboot.

The error log in roaming:

InnerException: System.PlatformNotSupportedException: MonoGame requires either ARB_framebuffer_object or EXT_framebuffer_object.Try updating your graphics drivers.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.FramebufferHelper.Create(GraphicsDevice gd) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Platform\Graphics\GraphicsDevice.OpenGL.FramebufferHelper.cs:line 32
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.PlatformInitialize() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Platform\Graphics\GraphicsDevice.OpenGL.cs:line 340
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Initialize() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Graphics\GraphicsDevice.cs:line 357
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice(GraphicsDeviceInformation gdi) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\GraphicsDeviceManager.cs:line 144
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\GraphicsDeviceManager.cs:line 115
Stack Trace: at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\GraphicsDeviceManager.cs:line 123
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoInitialize() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 838
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run(GameRunBehavior runBehavior) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 465
at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Program.cs:line 175

Game Version: 1.5.6
SDK Helper: SteamHelper
Game Language: en
GPU: Could not detect.

And I don't know what to do...

It looks like your integrated graphic's is outdated (Based on how old your cpu is).
If that is the case, sorry, but you're going to have to get a new laptop/pc

First, try updating your graphics driver by looking in optional updates in the windows update tab.

CactusCactacea

Newcomer
It looks like your integrated graphic's is outdated (Based on how old your cpu is).
If that is the case, sorry, but you're going to have to get a new laptop/pc

First, try updating your graphics driver by looking in optional updates in the windows update tab.
Oh, well. Yes, I update the graphics already so that must be the problem. Thanks anyway.

If you have a graphics card:
Go to your graphics card driver manager (Ex: Nvidia GeForce Experience)
Update your drivers
Go to Windows Settings
Use the search bar and search for "Graphics settings"
Set the drop-down menu to "Desktop app"
Click browse
Paste this into your path bar (the bar at the top of the new window) "C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common" (For people who have SDV from the microsoft store or xbox app do "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps")
Search for a folder that says "Stardew Valley" (For people who have SDV from the microsoft store or xbox app search for somthing like "ConceredApe.StardewValleyPC.XXXXXXXXXX")
Search for a file that says something like 'Stardew Valley.exe" (I don't know what it looks like cause I got SDV from the xbox app)
Double click that file
Click the new addition to the list in the settings app, then click "Options"
The check "High Performance"

This should set the game to always use your graphics card and not your cpu graphics

Last edited:
ok, well sorry... you don't need the super expensive stuff to play SDV.
I recommend getting a computer with an Intel i5-8500 (PC) or Intel i5-8300H (Laptop)
They are pretty cheap right now, and you don't even need a graphics card. If you were playing games with a processor like that, then this should be a huge step up. It will also be supported for a while. Right now I play with an Intel i7-9750H and it runs amazingly well, and I even do some heavy gaming (Minecraft at 250 fps with shaders at max)

Last edited: