"Runs"

Ennoshima

Planter
I'm interested in this too. I know I can probably look it up -- but everyone has their own twist and it's nicer to hear from the source.
("Source" being those who have done it/have enough knowledge on it).

Aine

Planter
A "run" is a save file where you do something different. Some people have various runs for different farm layout, married, joja/community center, challenge farm, multiplayer, etc.
I made some runs, one was for making a functional animal farm, dropped it because I wasnt playing for a long time, and when I got back, there where so many updates I decided to quit that. I also did a "get to 1million fast" and ended up with 1m in the end of the summer early fall if I remember correctly. Also had one to get the Joja achievement.

Bark Ruffalo

Planter
A "run" is a save file where you do something different. Some people have various runs for different farm layout, married, joja/community center, challenge farm, multiplayer, etc.
I made some runs, one was for making a functional animal farm, dropped it because I wasnt playing for a long time, and when I got back, there where so many updates I decided to quit that. I also did a "get to 1million fast" and ended up with 1m in the end of the summer early fall if I remember correctly. Also had one to get the Joja achievement.
So you just choose a goal and get there.. Do you use mods?

Holliups

Greenhorn
It's basically just consciously choosing a specific kind of playstyle for yourself that you may not necessarily pick unless forced into it. Like not being able to do any actual farming, not being allowed to buy crops, having a farm that exclusively does fishing, or matching up your relationships, choices of dialogue or look of your farm to the fact that you're doing a 'joja run'.

Although Mr Bob is also very right, it often refers to speedruns.

Aine

Planter
So you just choose a goal and get there.. Do you use mods?
I personally dont use mods, but there is both categories, with and without mods. The only mod I used in the game was to get the "Legend of the Prairie King" achievement, the one where you need to finish the game without diyng.

Here is a youtube link for a run, when the person aimed to finish the community center without glitches (or mods). Really cool to watch.

Joker

Cowpoke
Yeah, a "run" is a speed running shorthand for "playthrough". They mean the same thing though.

Usually in games like Stardew they're used to describe "challenge" runs. Ex: finishing the community center ASAP; reaching 500k gold before your first Winter; getting 10 hearts with all of the villagers before Grandpa's evaluation.

__Fishy__

Planter
There's a few different categories that can be broken up into different runs. There's anything from speedruns and nuzlocke (limitations to make the game harder) to different paths like community center and Joja or even completionist. It just all depends on how you want to play and the challenge you want.

Link for the speedrun section
Link for a Nuzlocke

WDE Farm

Greenhorn
I don't like having timeline goals because for me, that defeats the purpose of it being a relaxing game. But my favorite challenge is to do a "self-sufficient" farm where you can't buy seeds from Pierre/Joja and resources. You can only get crops from gifts, the traveling cart, and mixed seeds. My personal restrictions allow buying recipes and equipment that can't be crafted (for example, no buying crab pots but backpack, workbench, wood chipper, etc. are okay). You can make it as relaxed or strict as you want, but basically I play as "don't buy anything you can craft or gather yourself".

Bark Ruffalo

Planter
I don't like having timeline goals because for me, that defeats the purpose of it being a relaxing game. But my favorite challenge is to do a "self-sufficient" farm where you can't buy seeds from Pierre/Joja and resources. You can only get crops from gifts, the traveling cart, and mixed seeds. My personal restrictions allow buying recipes and equipment that can't be crafted (for example, no buying crab pots but backpack, workbench, wood chipper, etc. are okay). You can make it as relaxed or strict as you want, but basically I play as "don't buy anything you can craft or gather yourself".
That sounds rough :D

tommybob

Planter
Yes, the idea behind the runs is to add challenge to the game. We all love relaxing and being laid back but Stardew has a slight sandbox element to it allowing people to make their own goals. People enjoy Stardew but they want it to be a bit more of a challenge as that's what is most fun for some people :junicheer:

clayre68

Greenhorn
That sounds like an interesting way to play. I think I would like give it a try. Would you not buy strawberry seeds at the festival, since Pierre is the one selling? Would you from the nightmarket, since it is the trader selling??