Important Announcement for Modders (Stardew Valley 64-bit)

ConcernedApe

Creator & Developer
Staff member
Hello Stardew Valley modders! I hope you're doing well.

I have an important announcement regarding an upcoming change to Stardew Valley. Some time in the near future, Stardew Valley will receive an update (1.5.5), in which the 32-bit XNA framework will be replaced with the 64-bit MonoGame framework. In addition, there are various modder requests and bug fixes included in the update. This change was necessary in order to bring Stardew Valley to Game Pass, but it also future-proofs the game a little more, and will allow modders more freedom than they've had in the past.

We're providing an early, pre-release version of this new build (select the "monogame64bit" branch on Steam). Please feel free to use this to check compatibility with your mods. Also, feel free to share this information to anyone in the modding community who might benefit from this.

As a precautionary measure, please make sure to back up your saves before switching to the new branch. Also, please be aware that 32-bit operating systems will not be able to run the new version. However, we plan on providing a "compatibility" branch to players which will continue to use 32-bit XNA and will be compatible with old operating systems.

I hope these changes are helpful and allow for even more great mods in the future.

staubmotte

Tiller
Hello Stardew Valley modders! I hope you're doing well.

I have an important announcement regarding an upcoming change to Stardew Valley. Some time in the near future, Stardew Valley will receive an update (1.5.5), in which the 32-bit XNA framework will be replaced with the 64-bit MonoGame framework. In addition, there are various modder requests and bug fixes included in the update. This change was necessary in order to bring Stardew Valley to Game Pass, but it also future-proofs the game a little more, and will allow modders more freedom than they've had in the past.

We're providing an early, pre-release version of this new build (select the "monogame64bit" branch on Steam). Please feel free to use this to check compatibility with your mods. Also, feel free to share this information to anyone in the modding community who might benefit from this.

As a precautionary measure, please make sure to back up your saves before switching to the new branch. Also, please be aware that 32-bit operating systems will not be able to run the new version. However, we plan on providing a "compatibility" branch to players which will continue to use 32-bit XNA and will be compatible with old operating systems.

I hope these changes are helpful and allow for even more great mods in the future.
YES!
Looking forward :)

SgtPickles

Tiller
With the conversion to MonoGame, will SDV still utilize DirectX for the Windows client? Is XACT still the backing audio API? Or have these two changed as a side effect?

Last edited:

SgtPickles

Tiller
Did some digging around the game regarding the API Changes. Here's a quick table layout for other modders regarding them:

Note that I'm specifically listing out in regards to the Windows client

Pre-1.5.5
Graphic APIDirectX 9OpenGL 2+
FrameworkXNA 4.0MonoGame 3.8 + Slices of FNA components
AudioXACTFAudio

mouse

Farmer
Thanks for the update and more wishlist presents!

For modders, Pathos has more information here, with links to the migration guide as well as the modder wishlist pages :) ("For mod authors, that means direct references to mod DLLs now work crossplatform. For example, referencing PyTK should no longer cause compile errors when building the mod code on Linux/macOS. " Bless *sheds tear*)

ConcernedApe

Creator & Developer
Staff member
Hey everyone, thanks for helping test the new update so far. just a heads up we are pushing another update to the 1.5.5 beta branch with the following changes:
  • Journey of the Prairie King now respects rebound movement keys as long as they are not bound to the arrow keys. If the movement keys have been bound to the arrow keys, the game will default to the original WSAD bindings.
  • Fixed a typo that could cause the wrong spouse room to load. (Introduced in 1.5.5)
  • Fixed the cursor movement being stuttery/snapping incorrectly when moved using the gamepad's right stick. (Introduced in 1.5.5)
  • Fixed a typo in the Japanese localization that prevented watching the reward event for the Community Cleanup special order.
  • Fixed a corner of Krobus' room being lit up at night when he is a roommate.
  • Brute force fix for mines/Skull Cavern difficulty not properly resetting after finishing Special Orders/interacting with the shrine.
  • (MODDING) Fix for a crash when mods extend the bobber bar past normal bounds.
  • (MODDING) Modularized the Krobus roommate logic so that it can be more easily used in mods.

Marcos Freitas

Newcomer
Hi, my computer cannot be upgraded to the 64-bit version, it stays on the 32-bit version. Is there any forecast when compatibility will be reintroduced?

Odin

Staff member
Hi, my computer cannot be upgraded to the 64-bit version, it stays on the 32-bit version. Is there any forecast when compatibility will be reintroduced?
From the 1.5.5 blog post:
If, for any reason, you want to play on the “legacy” 32-bit version, it’s still available on Steam (right click Stardew > properties > betas > select “Compatibility” version).
I hope that helps!