Is mayonnaise more rentable than wine?

Rasmodius

Cowpoke
Yes, I'm seriously asking this.

Let's take the calculator.

Supposing we have 4 barrels and 4 mayonnaise machines, a barrel would take between 2-3 days to make wine, while the mayonnaise machine would take only 3 hours.

Now let's suppose that we are in winter, and we have 4 fruits every day (crystal fruit, for example)
Price of seed: None
Time of processing: 3000 minutes
Price of sell (Base+normal quality+no skills): 450g
So that means:
450/3000=0'15 g per minute earned
With 4 at the same time 0'6g per minute.

And now with the mayonnaise machine and 4 chickens.
Price of animal: 800g (one time payment)
Price of food for animal: None if you manage it well to avoid buying it from Marnie's.
Time of processing: 180 minutes
Price of sell (base+normal quality+no skills): 190g
So that means:
190/180=1.05g per minute earned
With 4 at the same time 4.2g earned per minute.
Of course with the chickens you have to pay first the price of them, but with seeds happens the same!

So now please tell me if I'm wrong or mayonnaise gives way more money than wine (or at least much more faster)

It's arguably worse as you have to maintain the machines. Where as fruit and wine allow you to preform other actions. However the game changers for wine are ancient fruit, starfruit, sweet gem.

With low priced fruits it's actually more efficient to use jam jars. It is entirely dependent on the input.

Also even with cask I believe cheese actually has a higher coinage per day gain than wine

Rasmodius

Cowpoke
It's arguably worse as you have to maintain the machines. Where as fruit and wine allow you to preform other actions.
? In both there are machines so I don't know what you mean. Maybe you mean to feed chickens? In that case just go get married and let him/her feed them :P

hexnessie

Farmer
Yes, mayo and (cow) cheese are big and fast money-makers initially, but require a lot of manual attention.

Wine takes 7 days to make, so it's not really all that profitable (in gold per hour) unless you are using starfruit or ancient fruit.

On the other hand, you drop things in the barrels once a week and have a lot of free time.

On the third hand, if you make as many mayo machines as you have chicken, you only need to load them up once per day.

On the fourth hand, unless you are ready to invest in deluxe coop / barn, your chicken and cows are going to need daily attention / milking

On the fifth hand (only one to go...) if you plant things for wine, you still have to collect it, replant it, pay for seeds or worse, make them in seed maker - cows/chicken feed themselves, grass grows on its own, and autograbbers just fill up with eggs and cheese

(My sixth hand is busy holding a huge chunk of cheese.)

I find this topic interesting. I want to see a real data scientist insight to get some concrete answers to your question.
That involves a lot of maths and a good chart ___would be nice to compare the price of the wine, mayo, and cheese altogether.

Maybe someone with good Excel or data analyzing software skill should do it.

Last edited:

For aging profit rates

List of animal based products

Leavo

Planter

Supposing we have 4 barrels and 4 mayonnaise machines, a barrel would take between 2-3 days to make wine, while the mayonnaise machine would take only 3 hours.

Now let's suppose that we are in winter, and we have 4 fruits every day (crystal fruit, for example)
So that means:

Price of food for animal: None if you manage it well to avoid buying it from Marnie's.
So that means:
Of course with the chickens you have to pay first the price of them, but with seeds happens the same!

So now please tell me if I'm wrong or mayonnaise gives way more money than wine (or at least much more faster)
What finally persuaded me that I would go with kegs over preserves jars (like there's little gold difference between pickled pumpkin and pumpkin juice, and pickled pumpkin is much faster so I was thinking I would just do that) was someone pointing out that far enough into the game you just run out of stuff to put in preserves jars, which was happening to me and making me feel stressed out, which is not what I want I'm playing Stardew! So I switched back. So it's really just a matter of which trade offs you're more comfortable with that align with your goals in game.

Polaris

Sodbuster
Across my five save files, I find I tend to be very busy running around doing farm things all day long, and have little time for fishing or mining except perhaps in winter. So as a "busy" player I like to see fairly constant rewards, which means I make a lot of mayo and goat cheese, and put goat cheese in half my casks.

Historically, I have also liked variety in what I plant. But now I'm headed toward more interest in profitability. If I'm going to be busy all the time, I should make money.

imnvs

Local Legend
See, I'm seeing a false dichotomy here. What does one have to do with the other? Why not both? You can grow so much fruit that makes profitable wine in places where you simply and literally can not have animals. So you can have as many animals as you want and as much wine as you want too, honestly. My beach farm? I need over 4 big sheds to hold all my kegs for my wine making... and literally none of the fruit I make that from are on my farm except in my greenhouse.

Rasmodius

Cowpoke
What does one have to do with the other? Why not both?
Makes a lot of sense, but with this post I wanted to explain why you shouldn't make only wine, of course if you make both your income will be increased.
Why I say this? Because near all tutorials (~99%) of how to make money fast in Stardew say that you have to plant and put in barrels to make wine. Only that. But you can make mayonnaise and cheese. Or mine and make iron for example to sell. Or maybe fish if you like it, but fishing doesn't give a lot of money.

Rasmodius

Cowpoke
I find this topic interesting. I want to see a real data scientist insight to get some concrete answers to your question.
That involves a lot of maths and a good chart ___would be nice to compare the price of the wine, mayo, and cheese altogether.

I'll try to make that but I can't promise anything.

Xx_Aikra_xX

Tiller

I farm ginger island and the greenhouse only. I harvest and keg 3,880 ancient fruit each season for a sales total of $8,962,800 gold per season.

To even match that with mayo would require producing 16,847 eggs per season. That is 602 eggs per day which would require 50 deluxe coops fully stocked with your 602 chickens. Even with an auto grabber, collecting eggs and buying hay are the only things you will be doing on your farm. You wouldn't even have enough time to turn it into mayo, seeing as how every available inch of your standard farm map is occupied by coops, where are you even going to fit 600 mayo machines? The desert maybe?

hexnessie

Farmer
I farm ginger island and the greenhouse only. I harvest and keg 3,880 ancient fruit each season for a sales total of $8,962,800 gold per season.
To be fair though, by the point you have Ginger Island and hundreds of kegs, the game is pretty much over and you don't need the money anymore.

Mayo and cheese are fantastic in year 1 and 2, when every penny counts, and you need to make money FAST, not a month from now, and without waiting for when you can finally get the resources to craft 400 kegs.

The progression of profit making is something like this:

- Spring year 1: Fishing, foraging and selling raw crops
- Rest of year 1 - Mayo, cheese, fish ponds (roe in preserve jars)
- Year 2 - Start your ancient fruit operation and slowly make enough kegs

Xx_Aikra_xX

Tiller

So that means:

So that means:

Honestly don't know why these discussions continue to persist. You won't make more money with cheese, or mayo, or anything other than truffle oil over ancient fruit wine, not even starfruit wine outperforms ancient fruit wine. I make $16,005/game hour ($8,962,800 per season) on ancient fruit wine, and I ONLY farm the greenhouse and ginger island. So, one day a week I spend about half the day harvesting and kegging ancient fruit, and the other 6 I'm free to do whatever.

Reactions: Tom
Hmm using hoppers for loading eggs in a mayo machine. Make long track that you run through in a circuit in the desert or island... Seems boring but potentially feasible. So basically instead of a music track your just running collecting the mayo

Xx_Aikra_xX

Tiller
To be fair though, by the point you have Ginger Island and hundreds of kegs, the game is pretty much over and you don't need the money anymore.

Mayo and cheese are fantastic in year 1 and 2, when every penny counts, and you need to make money FAST, not a month from now, and without waiting for when you can finally get the resources to craft 400 kegs.

The progression of profit making is something like this:

- Spring year 1: Fishing, foraging and selling raw crops
- Rest of year 1 - Mayo, cheese, fish ponds (roe in preserve jars)
- Year 2 - Start your ancient fruit operation and slowly make enough kegs
I usually have coffee going by week 1 of spring year 1, and I never bother keeping animals. I've just finished my latest farm spring 1 year 3 with a total farm earnings of $36 million gold. The only fishing I did was to get my skill maxed.

Leavo

Planter
Honestly don't know why these discussions continue to persist. You won't make more money with cheese, or mayo, or anything other than truffle oil over ancient fruit wine, not even starfruit wine outperforms ancient fruit wine. I make $16,005/game hour ($8,962,800 per season) on ancient fruit wine, and I ONLY farm the greenhouse and ginger island. So, one day a week I spend about half the day harvesting and kegging ancient fruit, and the other 6 I'm free to do whatever.
I think because for some people it gets boring just farming one crop, and also people just enjoy the process of trying to min/max under different sets of parameters.