Does concerned ape have a patreon or comparable system

Odin

Staff member
Concernedape doesn't have a patreon. Although you can support him by buying the merch from sdv shop!
You could also buy more copies of the game I suppose, either for other platforms or as gifts. Obviously you certainly don't need to purchase anything else though.

Well I went a few weeks ago and bought a play plus+| and gave the code to my daughter so she can play on the switch. The Junimos were split between the family

Cthulhu

Sodbuster
Awww, maan. I was kinda stoked to see the big-box copy of Stardew in the store... right up until I saw the super-exciting bit about the disc having a Steam key. Feckin' Steam; I pine for the days when a "physical copy" of a game was actually that.

And to continue my grumpy old-man rant, I'm disappointed in the bachelors t-shirt, too. I'm guessing Shane is in disguise? :P

Last edited:

Odin

Staff member
Awww, maan. I was kinda stoked to see the big-box copy of Stardew in the store... right up until I saw the super-exciting bit about the disc having a Steam key. Feckin' Steam; I pine for the days when a "physical copy" of a game was actually that.
The physical copies do come with real physical copies of the game! The PC version has a CD disc and the Switch version has a game cartridge. The catch with the PC copies is that the disc is the 1.4 version of the game, so you do need to use the Steam key to get a 1.5 version of the game.

Cthulhu

Sodbuster
The physical copies do come with real physical copies of the game! The PC version has a CD disc and the Switch version has a game cartridge. The catch with the PC copies is that the disc is the 1.4 version of the game, so you do need to use the Steam key to get a 1.5 version of the game.
Ah! Thanks for the clarification, All-Father! This Luddite occasionally needs some hand-holding when it comes to this newfangled codes-and-DRM stuff. :P

Now I'm all excited again. :)

Xristos

Tiller
I pine for the days when a "physical copy" of a game was actually
Oh, you brought back memories. I remember having to switch disks on final fantasy 8 to continue playing. Especially if one was scratched and you had to buy A NEW copy to continue (or have your friend lend you his till you finish the disk). It was frustrating back in the day but it was worth it. Not to mention the old RPGs who after disk 3 things got weird..

Oh, you brought back memories. I remember having to switch disks on final fantasy 8 to continue playing. Especially if one was scratched and you had to buy A NEW copy to continue (or have your friend lend you his till you finish the disk). It was frustrating back in the day but it was worth it. Not to mention the old RPGs who after disk 3 things got weird..
What about the swag. Back when if you preordered a harvest moon game you got either a chicken, bubble cows, or sheep plush/keyring/themed playing cards

LRangerR

Local Legend
Honestly I think that digital-only copies are a cancer to the gaming industry. There are a couple of games i can no longer play anymore because they have changed from the version that i purchased. Who's to tell what else is being changed? It is a very serious problem to freedom and humanity that isn't yet universally recognized, yet I have been opposed to digital releases from their outset.

Cthulhu

Sodbuster
What about the swag. Back when if you preordered a harvest moon game you got either a chicken, bubble cows, or sheep plush/keyring/themed playing cards
Oh, man, do I ever miss the feelies. The first computer game I really got into was Ultima IV, with its map and cool spellbook and little ankh. I yearn for the days when games came with manuals that you wanted--and needed!--to read. Stupid digital copies!

QUOTE="LRangerR, post: 42979, member: 3730"]
Honestly I think that digital-only copies are a cancer to the gaming industry. There are a couple of games i can no longer play anymore because they have changed from the version that i purchased. Who's to tell what else is being changed? It is a very serious problem to freedom and humanity that isn't yet universally recognized, yet I have been opposed to digital releases from their outset.
[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. I hate having to use Steam to play a game I bought, I hate having to download major releases, I hate not being able to buy secondhand/resell/loan/borrow games freely. "Very serious problem to freedom and humanity" might sound like hyperbole, but I feel like it *is* a real issue, too.

LRangerR

Local Legend
I totally agree.
Nice quote :P @Cthulhu

And while i wish i was just being dramatic for drama's sake, i'm kinda not. Do you remember your favorite book? okay cool. Do you remember your favorite part of your favorite book? Cool, awesome. Now do you remember, word for word, the rest of the words in the rest of the story of your favorite book? A rare few can say yes. Everyone else vaguely remembers what they read, and fills it in by reading the book again. Please, give me physical releases again. It wouldn't be so bad if the climate didn't make it so hard to obtain a physical of some games/books/movies/etc, but this has been going on for a long time. I miss video rental stores.

As a hobby historian, I look down upon things like cultural destruction, the best and most well known example was Hitler's destruction of literature and books in the 1930s. However, conveniently enough, in modern times you don't even need to destroy books if you can theoretically manipulate and control the words that they contain by editing them digitally. These are the same reasons why I do not like Steam.

Last edited:

Odin

Staff member
@LRangerR The preservation of software and other digital media is definitely a really interesting discussion, but it's getting off the original topic. You're welcome to create a separate thread about that though, I'm sure other people have thoughts about that topic as well!
I am so happy with this game honestly I wouldn't mind supporting his next game.
To get back to the original discussion, ConcernedApe was recently answering some people's questions on the Discord server, and while there weren't specifics given, he did mention he's working on a new game currently! So something to look forward to.

LRangerR

Local Legend
@Odin just out of curiousity, (not blaming you or the moderating team), but how often do people actually make divergent topics?

Odin

Staff member
@Odin just out of curiousity, (not blaming you or the moderating team), but how often do people actually make divergent topics?
I'm not sure to be honest, while I try to read a lot of what's discussed on the forums I don't personally read everything. I think it would be tough to say even if I did.

Cthulhu

Sodbuster
Ehehehhehheheh... ahhh... heh. Oops! Guess that preview button's good for something after all! ;P

I concur with your desire for an empirically provable past. I don't want automatic revisions; I want the thing, with optional fixes. Good example is "Earthlock: Festival of Magic," which was a decent little game... and then they did the "Super Better Awesomest Version!" which actually kinda wrecked the game. The whole story changed--and definitely not for the better. Fortunately, they released the new version as a whole new game, rather than an update... and fortunately, I kept the old copy when I downloaded the new, or else I might not be able to get the version I like back again.

Digital-only is a terrible idea on so many levels. :/