Rock guide?

TruePurple

Cowpoke
Is there some Rock guide someone can point me to? Like which rocks are best to target in mine. Or is it other than the rocks with crystals jutting out, are they all the same?

If one gets more than one ladder down, is there any reason to pick one ladder over another?

imnvs

Local Legend
Which ladder you pick doesn't matter. The level you'll reach is determined randomly as you get to it and the ladder picked has no influence on the random calculator.

As for rocks... some rocks take fewer hits to crack, though I'm not sure all the levels of that going on. I thought it was included in "the mines" entry on the wiki, but I just double checked and I didn't see it in a quick scan. I'm forgetting all the details on this one.

LRangerR

Local Legend
The gray rocks will give you more stone but take 2 hits to crack on any level of the mines, but you have 0 chance of getting ore or coal i believe. The rocks with the crystal will give you crystals, the rocks with the ore will give you ores. All the other normal rocks have a random chance of giving you any of the above, as well as other doodads such as geodes, etc.

I wouldn't rely too much on guides or wikis though. They have a tendency to ruin a player's first playthrough in SDV if they go straight to relying on them, but everyone has their own playstyle. Like i said elsewhere, just take your time and enjoy the game. You'll figure most of the things out as you go along and gain more experience here.

TruePurple

Cowpoke
So as far as you know, the non-node rocks that look very different, that difference is only aesthetics?

Last edited:

LRangerR

Local Legend
So AFAIK the rock without the pieces sticking out, all are the same? The rocks look very different, but that's only aesthetics?
As far as i know, yeah, it's just aesthetics with the exception of the gray rocks that are easier/harder to break depending what floor you're on. Those always give only stone, but give stone at a higher rate than other rocks.

Not all rocks are equal but I also don't know all the specifics either, unfortunately. @iridium quality made a post in the Guides & Resources section with this tip: Mines Tip

Basically, deep in the Mine (past the frozen section) there are lighter grey rocks with a dark black boarder around them. If you have a copper pickaxe or better they take one hit to crack, less than all the other "normal" rocks (not nodes, boulders, etc.). I have also found those rocks reliably give me stone and sometimes coal where other rocks are less likely to give me stone.

What I've observed: Most of the regular rocks are sorta triangular, and they can give stone, ore, coal, geodes, or nothing. Sometimes they are a rock crab! Same for the red lava plops. The gray round rocks always give stone, only stone. Some rocks have visible ore. Some have visible gem, diamond emerald ruby aquamarine. One with crystals and purple gives amethyst or topaz. There's a regular looking triangular rock, but just a little purple, that gives amethyst topaz jade or aquamarine. Round green rock with small round bump on top is always jade. And purple rock with spirals is mystic stone, can give iridium or even prismatic shard. None of this is official, just what I've seemed to notice.