Let Willy catch some fishes...

PorkChop

Planter
When I fish beside Willy he never gets any fish. So my suggestion is to update his animation so he sometimes catches fishes too. At the moment it looks strange he doesn't get any fish but owns the fish-shop. 🎣 :smile:
Nice thought! I love this idea. Especially with him just constantly standing there, he looks somewhat depressed.

tomaO2

Sodbuster
Well, we already have an animation for catching fish. It's not really great or anything but it can be easily used again, and gets the message across. Can also add a little bucket, like the one you see in the ice fishing competition. And make it so you can steal the fish from Willy. Doing this gives the same reaction that opening a garbage near a villager does. Heh.

Willy could also sell some some fish randomly, based on the locations he was fishing at yesterday. Was he fishing in rainy weather yesterday? Now he's selling a catfish.

Last edited:

LRangerR

Local Legend
O_O

Because of his dark secret, of course.
Doesn't change the fact that you're being a jerk if you just up and steal fish from him.

I am all for new additions to the game but I don't think this one fosters good behaviors from the player, and am thus against it.

tomaO2

Sodbuster
It wasn't a suggestion meant to be taken too seriously. The real suggestion was him selling a random fish in the store.

That said, if a choice like stealing someone's stuff was added, it would be good if there were come consequences to it, rather than it just Annoying Willy and then him forgetting about it the next day.

Frankly, I feel that there is far too little consequences in the game for your actions. Lets not pretend that the game doesn't allow you to be mean. You can be a jerk in several ways in the game, such as in a few events, notably your ability to put poison into the community soup, and humiliate Louis after you reclaim his boxers. You can also root through people's trash, and I don't really like the divorce mechanic at all. None of these things have real consequences, except a temporary hit to the friendship hearts, so people do it and laugh about it.

One possible way to work it is to have actions that will permanently lower their max heart rate. If you stole fish from willy, for instance, you will only ever be able to get to 9 hearts. At nine hearts it locks in place, just like it does at 10, and it would count as being full in terms of the perfection meter, but you will know that toying with the person just caused that bit of damage. Those fish might only be able to be stolen once, as well. After that Willy stops you from taking them.

Last edited:
Frankly, I feel that there is far too little consequences in the game for your actions. ...

One possible way to work it is to have actions that will permanently lower their max heart rate. If you stole fish from willy, for instance, you will only ever be able to get to 9 hearts. At nine hearts it locks in place, just like it does at 10, and it would count as being full in terms of the perfection meter, but you will know that toying with the person just caused that bit of damage. Those fish might only be able to be stolen once, as well. After that Willy stops you from taking them.
Nice thought. But in a matter of education one should be warned - once at least - before permanent consequences take action. Maybe this should be an option to preserve all the possibilities for the players which want to try out more.
Don't forget: it is still a game and should make fun in the first place!

tomaO2

Sodbuster
My proposal to have -1 to the heart maximum doesn't mean much. It's more of an annoyance for completionists, kinda like how some people feel the need to romance every character so no one is at 8 hearts before marrying, and there is no warning for what happens if you do this. The mass walk out is probably the harshest penalty of the game, although it is still just a loss of hearts that can be refilled. On the other hand, if you can marry before that event, all candidates stay at 10 hearts, which is weird. Breaking up loses a bunch of hearts, and brings the NPC down to 8 max, but, apparently, marrying someone else doesn't cause any issues. It is just quietly accepted, and hearts stay at 10, although they count as single now.

I'm pretty sure as long as this isn't used on a marriage candidate, then there is no significant drawback. All important items and cutscenes are done at 9 hearts, maximum, as far as I can recall. Also, I would say that you getting to 9 hearts counts towards all achievements that state you need to get to 10 hearts. So it doesn't hurt your perfection ratings, or achievements. All it does is force you to look at that greyed out heart when scrolling through the villagers.

I'm not really pushing the idea though. I'd just like a permanent consequence when you do something bad. The exact mechanic is not too important.

Last edited: