Don't know what order/where my Gem Birds came... will they come back?

109inthesky

Farmhand
Hi all. When I first unlocked Ginger Island and saw a bird dropping a gem, I thought cool! A magical place of wonder and intrigue! Didn't know they were part of a puzzle and now I have no idea where I saw each bird.
Will they respawn? Should I just try every single combination of gems until I get something? (do you need to check the statue after every one?)

imnvs

Local Legend
They keep showing up. They keep showing up even after you've completed the shrine. Free gems, mate.

If you have the four gems from them and don't remember the order, but you're sure it's those four gems... yes, you could also just try every combination (there are 24) until you get it right, too.

When the combination is correct, when you put the 4th gem on the pedestal the shrine activates immediately and without you having to do anything else.

109inthesky

Farmhand
They keep showing up. They keep showing up even after you've completed the shrine. Free gems, mate.

If you have the four gems from them and don't remember the order, but you're sure it's those four gems... yes, you could also just try every combination (there are 24) until you get it right, too.

When the combination is correct, when you put the 4th gem on the pedestal the shrine activates immediately and without you having to do anything else.
thank you thank you thank you

imnvs

Local Legend
What if the gems are not the same that they dropped? it "bug" the quest?
I'm not 100% sure if you can just grab a random gem of the correct type or if it needs to be a gem dropped by the bird. It could go either way. However, if the code will not let you use a gem unless it was dropped by a gem bird, you would hope that it doesn't break things so that you can't complete the quest... but it may allow you to put the gem on the pedestal and just not trigger the shrine.

Just to add, to avoid confusion, may I recommend going to the shrine as soon as you get the gems? Failing that, if you're not sure which gems are which, I would just find fresh gem birds. It reduces hassle.

Odin

Staff member
I'm not 100% sure if you can just grab a random gem of the correct type or if it needs to be a gem dropped by the bird. It could go either way. However, if the code will not let you use a gem unless it was dropped by a gem bird, you would hope that it doesn't break things so that you can't complete the quest... but it may allow you to put the gem on the pedestal and just not trigger the shrine.
I'm pretty positive it doesn't require you use the exact gem the birds drop as those gems will stack with others.

Elenna101

Farmer
Not only can you do it with other gems, you can do it before even seeing any of the birds (using brute force or the Stardew Predictor website).