[Spoiler] Help with strange capsule?

Alfyna

Sodbuster
Sorry, I searched the forum for this, but it seems no one else has asked this yet. Last night in-game, I heard the distinctive UFO noise that's supposed to represent the capsule arriving (at least according to the wiki). I searched the farm all day long and didn't see any sign whatsoever of the capsule. I looked in all the hidden places too, like behind the house/barns etc, but no dice.

Is there any reason I would hear the noise and not get a capsule? Why might I not be able to locate it? I'll admit my farm is pretty dense tree-wise, but I searched in and out of my woods multiple times. Is there anywhere else it could spawn? I know I'll run out of time in two more days because it'll break, and I wanted to see it before that happened.

Any advice?

imnvs

Local Legend
It may be amidst grass, if you have any growing for your animals, making it harder to spot.

The only other thing I could think of is chopping down all your trees to get a better view.

Alfyna

Sodbuster
It may be amidst grass, if you have any growing for your animals, making it harder to spot.

The only other thing I could think of is chopping down all your trees to get a better view.
I ended up doing that in an unsaved second day -- just massacred all my trees and everything else in sight. Still nothing. I can't for the life of me figure out where it's being stored. I'm in the forest farm, so there are a lot of nooks, but I explored them all. I'm truly mystified.

I'll check the animals' grass again.

Ereo

Helper
On the forest farm, things can spawn really well hidden under the canopy of trees. I'd assume it's somewhere you can see.

LRangerR

Local Legend
I saw this exact problem somewhere before, and again it was on the Forest map. It ended up being inside that big area of tree overhang on the way to the grandpa shrine

Alfyna

Sodbuster
I saw this exact problem somewhere before, and again it was on the Forest map. It ended up being inside that big area of tree overhang on the way to the grandpa shrine
I knew that could be the only place left to look, so I reloaded the second day three times, walking back and forth and back and forth pressing X to see if I could pick it up. It was truly not there. @_@ I cut down, moved, razed, and relocated everything on that farm. No dice.

In the wiki it says it's got to have enough clear space - maybe you got the event but there wasn't a spot for it to land/drop pod so it wasn't left there? :sick:
I think that's what happened. I have a very natural-looking farm: a ton of trees, buildings hidden amongst the trees, and crystal paths that wind through the forest. There is some space up by my house and a few tiles open by my apiary, but otherwise the farm is pretty well occupied. I searched every tile on that farm, so I think it just didn't spawn.

Thanks so much for your help, everybody! Sadly, it looks like I don't get a capsule for my main save. :( Maybe I'll still be able to get an owl.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Thanks so much for your help, everybody! Sadly, it looks like I don't get a capsule for my main save. :( Maybe I'll still be able to get an owl.
It's there somewhere. Instead of pressing X to pick it up try using an axe. Also, there's a bunch of other small nooks that it could be hiding in. Might wanna check there too when you have the time.

Alfyna

Sodbuster
It's there somewhere. Instead of pressing X to pick it up try using an axe. Also, there's a bunch of other small nooks that it could be hiding in. Might wanna check there too when you have the time.
It truly isn't. I can't reiterate just how many times I restarted day 2 and razed, chopped, moved, and mowed everything until nothing on that farm was standing. Every single square, including those hiding underneath the canopy on the left-hand side, was exhaustively checked, step by painful step, with both X and an axe and a pickaxe. Nearly two dozen times. I finally just moved on. I was getting legit angry and disheartened and that's not what I play this game for.

lol I am aware it's one of those kinds of situations where you think, "... Well, if I had the game in my hand, I could've found it", and I'm aware it'll be impossible to convince anyone otherwise, but I promise I'm no rookie. I searched every square on that farm. It just ain't there. It's all right, I've moved on. <3

It truly isn't. I can't reiterate just how many times I restarted day 2 and razed, chopped, moved, and mowed everything until nothing on that farm was standing. Every single square, including those hiding underneath the canopy on the left-hand side, was exhaustively checked, step by painful step, with both X and an axe and a pickaxe. Nearly two dozen times. I finally just moved on. I was getting legit angry and disheartened and that's not what I play this game for.

lol I am aware it's one of those kinds of situations where you think, "... Well, if I had the game in my hand, I could've found it", and I'm aware it'll be impossible to convince anyone otherwise, but I promise I'm no rookie. I searched every square on that farm. It just ain't there. It's all right, I've moved on. <3
One question. When you woke up did you get the ‘ a strange sound was heard in the night text’ because now I’m wondering if the event triggered but because you didn’t have the appropriate 50 empty spots it never actually completed

Alfyna

Sodbuster
One question. When you woke up did you get the ‘ a strange sound was heard in the night text’ because now I’m wondering if the event triggered but because you didn’t have the appropriate 50 empty spots it never actually completed
Oh gosh, at this point I groundhog's day-d that day so many times that I don't even remember. I want to say it did, or else I don't think I would've chosen the words 'strange sound' when I was looking up help for it online, but at this point I can't be 100%. I do definitely think I likely don't have 50 spots cleared anywhere. My forest farm is packed with flowers, twee little picnic tables, trees, water, crystal paths, and lights. Pretty to look at -- bad for random events.

Elenna101

Farmer
Brief clarification: My understanding is that before 1.5, you had to have 50 random spots all clear, which is why it was borderline impossible to get the strange capsule/stone owl, because the random spots could include spots like the house or ponds which couldn't possibly be clear. Now you only have to have one of the 50 random spots clear to get it.

I feel like it shouldn't make the sound if you failed the check, though? Like, before 1.5, when it was super rare, presumably I failed the check several times (it's a 1% chance to check the 50 spots each night, I believe, and I play this game a lot so I'm sure I hit that 1% at some point). But I never heard the very distinctive strange capsule sound before 1.5. So I would assume that if you failed the check you just don't hear anything, although I guess that could have changed in 1.5.

Brief clarification: My understanding is that before 1.5, you had to have 50 random spots all clear, which is why it was borderline impossible to get the strange capsule/stone owl, because the random spots could include spots like the house or ponds which couldn't possibly be clear. Now you only have to have one of the 50 random spots clear to get it.

I feel like it shouldn't make the sound if you failed the check, though? Like, before 1.5, when it was super rare, presumably I failed the check several times (it's a 1% chance to check the 50 spots each night, I believe, and I play this game a lot so I'm sure I hit that 1% at some point). But I never heard the very distinctive strange capsule sound before 1.5. So I would assume that if you failed the check you just don't hear anything, although I guess that could have changed in 1.5.
if you failed the check a ufo would fly across the save screen i believe? or maybe thats when it happened cant remember now but saw it on a vid

Alfyna

Sodbuster
I'm on Switch, fortunately or unfortunately, so no sharing save files. :( But yeah, if you only need one of those 50 spots to be clear, it's more than likely I would've passed that check, which brings me back to square one: Why The Heck Is It MIA.

I pawed under every inch of hidden canopy. Every cranny. Every nook's cranny. So thoroughly in fact that I even found an old meteorite I'd apparently missed a few in-game years ago. XD But under those conditions it does seem likely it should've happened? My farm is pretty full but I can't imagine failing each and every check out of 50.

Elenna101

Farmer
I pawed under every inch of hidden canopy. Every cranny. Every nook's cranny. So thoroughly in fact that I even found an old meteorite I'd apparently missed a few in-game years ago. XD But under those conditions it does seem likely it should've happened? My farm is pretty full but I can't imagine failing each and every check out of 50.
...are you sure the meteorite was from a few years ago? Is it possible that the sound you heard was actually the meteorite?

I guess you did say that you saw the "strange sound" message, which is different from the message that's shown when a meteorite lands. IDK, just a thought.

Alfyna

Sodbuster
...are you sure the meteorite was from a few years ago? Is it possible that the sound you heard was actually the meteorite?

I guess you did say that you saw the "strange sound" message, which is different from the message that's shown when a meteorite lands. IDK, just a thought.
No, because the meteorite causes an 'explosion', not a 'strange sound'. :) The reason I say it was from a couple of 'years' ago is because I did register the explosion at the time, but as the meteorite was not readily evident on my farm and I wasn't particularly hurting for iridium at the time, I shrugged it off and let it stay hidden. I discovered its location belatedly through this capsule hunt -- it was under the left side canopy right above the bottom-most clearing where the hardwood stumps grow. The reason I brought it up was to prove how exhaustively I searched for the capsule.

Sigrah

Farmer
I'm on Switch, fortunately or unfortunately, so no sharing save files. :( But yeah, if you only need one of those 50 spots to be clear, it's more than likely I would've passed that check, which brings me back to square one: Why The Heck Is It MIA.
Too bad you're on Switch, I was going to suggest you could try loading your farm map on https://stardew.info/planner/ and see if it shows up either as itself or as an object restriction tile.

DragonByNight

Greenhorn
So I too just had the same issue. When I went to sleep I heard a strange sound I woke up with a message saying I had heard a strange sound. I am also playing on the switch. I am using the four corners map. I have cut everything down moved everything around including going to Robin to move my buildings around just to be absolutely sure I’m not overlooking it. restarted the day several times and gone to sleep and re-done The same process a day later and nothing.