A bad fishing spot?

Chaya7

Planter
I've entered summer in my 6th year. In all the SDV games I've played, I've never before encountered a "bad" fishing spot. Until now. Suddenly, there's this one place on the river in the Cindersap Forest where it doesn't matter how "perfect" your catch is, all fish are regular quality. There are a number of squares at this spot where that happens. One square to the right of these squares, all fish are two less quality than they should be (so a "perfect" catch is a silver quality). One more square to the right, and everything is back to normal again.

I've fished here before and never had this happen to me. So far this isn't happening anywhere else in the valley.

Has this happened to anyone else? (Huge photo - but you can see me standing on the riverbank to the left of Leah's cottage. That's the spot).

View attachment 325

Odin

Staff member
Fishing quality is affected by how far your bobber is from any land, so you might just be too close to that island south of you

Chaya7

Planter
Nope. Last spring I fished right there and caught a whole slew of fish, and there were not any problems. And I just found another spot like this, up in the mountains.

Anthonygood

Farmhand
That spot in cindersnap is willy's favorite spot. Maybe they the dock spot in the beach.

It would be pretty funny if willy fishes in bad spots haha XD

TheHaboo

Tiller
You can catch any non-legendary fish in any fishing spot, but the distance the bobber is from land, so the island in front of you in the picture counts as "land", is how the quality of the fish is determined. So yes Willy's fishing spots are "bad", because he just drops the bobber in the water.

Thieryn

Greenhorn
I usually fish there when it's quite late in the day and I don't want to waste time traveling back home. I have cought several gold or iridium quality fish, so I am not experiencing the same issue. I have however found that at random times/months, the time it takes for me to catch fish varies greatly, so it could be something like that?

Chaya7

Planter
You can catch any non-legendary fish in any fishing spot, but the distance the bobber is from land, so the island in front of you in the picture counts as "land", is how the quality of the fish is determined. So yes Willy's fishing spots are "bad", because he just drops the bobber in the water.
I used to think that I needed to cast far from land. Then I discovered that if I did just like Willy - just dropped it in the water - I did just as well. Just as many bites, just as good quality. The distance I cast sometimes appears to affect the type of fish I catch (but not on a dock), and it seems to mostly affect which "treasures" I can get.

Last "year" I spent half a day fishing on that very spot, and my fish ranged between gold and iridium quality.

TheHaboo

Tiller
I used to think that I needed to cast far from land. Then I discovered that if I did just like Willy - just dropped it in the water - I did just as well. Just as many bites, just as good quality. The distance I cast sometimes appears to affect the type of fish I catch (but not on a dock), and it seems to mostly affect which "treasures" I can get.
Bite rate is only affected by fishing levels, bait and bubbles. The treasures you find when fishing is also only affected by daily luck, luck buffs, the priate skill and magnet bait. I would have to do some testing with this quality spot, but unless there's bubbles right there idk how you can just short cast and get an iriduim quality fish. Without perfect catches you should only be about to get normal and silver quality.