Solved [HELP] Where did it go!????!!!

Am-me

Greenhorn
I have played the single-player game for over 6 hours yesterday through to this morning. Then the game crashed and I lost ALL my info!! What was the save for if it can't take me back to that savepoint when it crashes!!? THEN, because I was enjoying the game so much, I played again, and again *for over 6 hours* and the thing crashed, losing all my info once again. Please, please, please find my info and put it back on my existing game screen. P l e a s e!!!!! Update, one week later... I was, yes, was, on year two mid winter, when the game crashed *again*, loosing ALLLLLLLL of my (supposedly) "saved" game. Ofc, when I went to log back in, no game exists!!! WHAT THE HECK!!!?? Fix your game already!!!

PorkChop

Planter
I have played the single-player game for over 6 hours yesterday through to this morning. Then the game crashed and I lost ALL my info!! What was the save for if it can't take me back to that savepoint when it crashes!!? THEN, because I was enjoying the game so much, I played again, and again *for over 6 hours* and the thing crashed, losing all my info once again. Please, please, please find my info and put it back on my existing game screen. P l e a s e!!!!! Update, one week later... I was, yes, was, on year two mid winter, when the game crashed *again*, loosing ALLLLLLLL of my (supposedly) "saved" game. Ofc, when I went to log back in, no game exists!!! WHAT THE HECK!!!?? Fix your game already!!!
Are you a mobile user?

Odin

Staff member
Hi! Sometimes there's an issue where the game won't recognize your saves after a crash, but the saves are usually still there are on your computer. If you haven't already, follow the steps here to try and recover your save: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves#Save_disappeared_or_doesn.27t_load

You also mention experiencing crashes. Can you share your most recent error log? (Crashes don't always produce an error log, so you may not see any in the folder).
  • On Windows, press the windows key + R and enter %appdata%/stardewvalley/errorlogs.
  • On Mac, from your desktop click Go in the menubar (in the top right), then "Go to folder..." at the bottom of that menu. Enter ~/.config/StardewValley/ErrorLogs/.
If you have SMAPI installed, the best way to share a log is via https://smapi.io/log. Thanks!

Am-me

Greenhorn
Hi! Sometimes there's an issue where the game won't recognize your saves after a crash, but the saves are usually still there are on your computer. If you haven't already, follow the steps here to try and recover your save: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves#Save_disappeared_or_doesn.27t_load

You also mention experiencing crashes. Can you share your most recent error log? (Crashes don't always produce an error log, so you may not see any in the folder).
  • On Windows, press the windows key + R and enter %appdata%/stardewvalley/errorlogs.
  • On Mac, from your desktop click Go in the menubar (in the top right), then "Go to folder..." at the bottom of that menu. Enter ~/.config/StardewValley/ErrorLogs/.
If you have SMAPI installed, the best way to share a log is via https://smapi.io/log. Thanks!
Message: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
InnerException:
Stack Trace: at StardewValley.SaveGame.<Save>d__88.MoveNext() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\SaveGame.cs:line 414
at StardewValley.Menus.SaveGameMenu.update(GameTime time) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Menus\SaveGameMenu.cs:line 123
at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 4080
at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 3872
at StardewValley.GameRunner.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\LocalMultiplayer.cs:line 1046
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Program.cs:line 156

Game Version: 1.5.4
SDK Helper: SteamHelper
Game Language: en
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
In-game Date: winter 10 Y2 Time of Day: 600
Game Location: FarmHouse

Thank you!!!!!

Odin

Staff member
Thanks for sharing that error log! Should I assume those wiki instructions on finding your saves didn't work?

Am-me

Greenhorn
Tbh, I don't understand the instructions. I did find file explorer and opened up saved items, There is a StardewValley save in there. It reads: Am-me_270954905_438264704 LANDOFLIGHT\AppData\Roaming\StardewValley\ErrorLogs
But to follow the Wiki instructions, I'd have to understand more than I do. IE

1.You may need to first disable Steam cloud saves for SDV ... To do that, go to Stardew Valley in your Steam library, click the gear icon and go to Properties, and uncheck the option to sync cloud saves. That's all Greek to me (or Geek to me!! :P ). A friend set up the game for me, so steam isn't something I know about, beyond knowing I do have a steam account.

Also, I didn't 2. recently rename or create a folder...

3. For going to the last save point, I fall in this category... "You should see two files with an _old suffix in the name; if not, ask for help instead!"

And finally, the last one, 4. "Modded saves may not be able to load in the vanilla game, depending on the mods that were used. If you previously played with mods but are trying to launch the game in vanilla, try reinstalling SMAPI and playing a day. SMAPI will automatically clean up any custom content from your save. Note that if you still have custom items in your inventory, they will turn into blank error items and may cause issues." I just have no idea what this all means :(

If you are able to help, Odin, I'd very much welcome it!!! I do have team viewer installed if that is an option.

Thank you

Odin

Staff member
Tbh, I don't understand the instructions. I did find file explorer and opened up saved items, There is a StardewValley save in there. It reads: Am-me_270954905_438264704
That's ok! Would you be able to share a screenshot of the folder that contains your saves? And just so I know, how many saves have you created, and how many do you currently see on the load screen in game?

Am-me

Greenhorn
Sorry, I didn't realize I posted that twice. When I double click on the StardewValley file, I get this...

Message: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
InnerException:
Stack Trace: at StardewValley.SaveGame.<Save>d__88.MoveNext() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\SaveGame.cs:line 414
at StardewValley.Menus.SaveGameMenu.update(GameTime time) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Menus\SaveGameMenu.cs:line 123
at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 4080
at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 3872
at StardewValley.GameRunner.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\LocalMultiplayer.cs:line 1046
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Program.cs:line 156

Game Version: 1.5.4
SDK Helper: SteamHelper
Game Language: en
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
In-game Date: winter 10 Y2 Time of Day: 600
Game Location: FarmHouse

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay, first problem, those screenshots are showing a lot of information you may not want everyone seeing. This is because you're showing us your "recent files" folder, not the contents of your Stardew saves folder, or even your Stardew folder. If you open that folder at the beginning of the screenshot you shared, the one that starts "Am-me..." and then use the function to go up a folder level, NOT the back function. The UP function, to get you into a folder that shows that folder in it and only it or only folders that look just like it. If you did it again, you'll see three folders, they should be Error Logs, Saves and Screenshots... and if you do that, you're too far. Now you can use the back function to get you back into the Saves folder. That's when you should take a screenshot and share it.

(Oh, and you may want to edit or ask a Mod for help editing your last photo post to remove all the instances of that same screenshot... or maybe all of them?)

Am-me

Greenhorn
Is it this what I'm looking for? You said it would have 3 files. I don't even know why this came up this time with windows+R but didn't come up like this last time. I really don't understand this stuff. Is this where I'm supposed to use the UP key?

1612254495288.png

Ereo

Helper
On the top, where it says "landflight > App Data > Roaming > Stardew Valley > Error logs", click on stardew valley. Then you should see a folder labeled "saves". Doubleclick on that folder and screenshot what you see.

imnvs

Local Legend
Hmm... I don't see the same folder we saw in your "recent files" folder screenshot from earlier, one starting with "am-me" instead of "the" like all these do. Can you copy that folder from your recent files into this folder? Does that do anything?

Am-me

Greenhorn
These say "The" because that is my farm's name (The Farm). I will try copying the Am-me file and see if that works.

Am-me

Greenhorn
I got it to work for my longest played game!!! Thank you all for your help!!! Idk how, but I was able to follow those instructions to remove that phrase from the game and steam, and viola!!!! YIPPY!!!!!!!

Last edited: