Best Crit Dagger?

Daedros

Greenhorn
So which dagger performs the best for a Scout+Desperado Crit Build? Iridium Needle vs Infinity Dagger vs Dragontooth Shiv?
Assuming 3x Aquamarine Forging, 2x Aquamarine Ring, and Scout Profession, the Needle would have 53.5% Crit Chance, the Dagger with 42.7% Crit Chance, and the Shiv with 39.1% Crit Chance.
The Needle has +200 Crit Power, the Shiv +100 Crit Power, and the Dagger lacks any Crit Power.
The Dagger has 50-70 Base Damage, the Shiv has 40-50 Base Damage, and the Needle has 20-35 Base Damage.
The Dagger and Shiv both have +5 Weight, while the Needle lacks any Weight at all (you're basically trading hits with the Needle).

This is all for curiosities' sake. I'm very well aware that Swords vastly out perform Daggers due to the attack radius and range difference. If the game had Boss monsters with huge HP pools, the Daggers might be better off then with their higher single target DPS, but with the hordes of enemies that you face (especially with Monster Musk+Qi's Danger/Invasion quests, practically playing Diablo at that point), the Sword's sweep radius is supreme.

Btw, which would be a better combo ring for this build's offense? Aquamarine Ring+Iridium Band, or Aquamarine Ring+Jade Ring?

Last edited:

Akemisora

Planter
I think it's better to maximize the chance to deal critical hit. For those daggers, I don't know. I can't really tell because I haven't got them. I have 3 dragontooth clubs and 2 dwarf hammers but neither the needle nor the shiv. *sad*

Aquamarine + Iridium Band is strictly superior to Jade Ring in any case due to how crits are handled.

The Iridium Band has a flat 10% bonus damage, which is then multiplied on a crit, while the Jade Ring just has a 10% crit strength modifier. In other words, when you don't crit, the iridium band does 10% bonus damage and the jade ring does nothing. When you do crit, the iridium band does 10% more damage TIMES the crit strength modifier, while the jade ring just does 10% more crit strength. In either case, the Iridium Band is strictly superior, even without factoring in all the other assorted bonuses like glow and magnet properties.

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay, for sake of argument let's use averages and assume Desperado...

Dagger, crit rate 42.7%, crit power 0, avg damage 60, avg damage on crit 360, avg per hit damage over time: (.427*360)+(.573*60)=188.1
Shiv, crit rate 39.1%, crit power +100, avg damage 45, avg damage on crit 450, avg per hit damage over time: (.391*450)+(.609*45)=203.355
Needle, crit rate 53.5%, crit power +200, avg damage 27.5, avg damage on crit 385, avg per hit damage over time: (.535*385)+(.465*27.5)=218.7625

Despite the lower initial damage, the Needle comes out ahead over time... provided you are just looking at total amount of damage. (Remember, damage overflow isn't saved up and is lost, reducing damage over time. If a monster had 50 hp and you crit for 450, you just wasted 400 damage and your average goes down.)

Last edited:

Daedros

Greenhorn
Yeah, i was messing around later last night with the Needle and that build, and even with the lower Base Damage, it's still overkill with it's Crits. Frequently seeing 400+ Crits and one shotting most monsters. The 3-Stab Special was practically guaranteed to kill anything, and i had Artful on the Needle so i could nearly spam it. I wonder if Vampiric enchant scales with the Crit Damage though for massive heals?

That build did great when running the Volcano (although the Lava Lurks could be a pain to hit due to lack of attack range). Doing a Monster Musk+Qi's Dangerous Mines quest though, and the Crit build quickly became woefully inadequate for dealing with the hordes compared to Fighter+Brute with a 3xRuby Infinity Sword enchanted with Vampiric.

fthbck

Greenhorn
Hey friends, do you know where to find iridum needle. i activated shrine of challange but i couldn't find any. Wiki says slay special slime for obtain needle but i didn't find any of them.

imnvs

Local Legend
Hey friends, do you know where to find iridum needle. i activated shrine of challange but i couldn't find any. Wiki says slay special slime for obtain needle but i didn't find any of them.
Okay, quick rundown of slime appearances...

A slime with no antenna is female.

A slime with an antenna is male.

A slime with a star antenna is a "special slime". It has 3x the hit points and does 2x the damage of another slime of its color. It will also always drop a "special item".

The "special item" it drops is not guaranteed to be an Iridium Needle, but for there to be an option of it being the Iridium Needle, you must be hunting the Mines while the Qi's Challenge quest is active.