are animals still relevant late game?

Wolf Haley

Sodbuster
I feel like once you have millions of coins, animals seem to start making really light change, but I only have one barn and one coop. the barn is all pigs and the coop is all Dinos. I kind of want to just stop caring for my animals, as they're just one more thing to worry about. (most of my money comes from duping magic rock candy and selling it) but anyway, is there a more efficient way to use animals?

riklaunim

Sodbuster
If you are duplicating items then normal economy doesn't really apply. Pigs are one of the best money maker but you don't have the scale of multiple barns to see big numbers daily.

Auto Petter allows skipping daily petting.

Auto Grabber can handle dinosaur eggs (and there is Treasure Appraisal Guide book that will 3x the price of the dino egg but not mayo).

Golden Animal Cracker improves animal output (other than pig).

Lew Zealand

Helper
Animals aren't really relevant to (non Filthy Gorilla optimization) late game g as Artisan processing Crops is really overpowered. Instead their relevance is more targetted towards using their products, not selling them. Cheese from processing Cow milk for Skull Cavern/Volcano/Mines runs, Cloth from processing Bunny and Sheep wool for Clothing, Mayo from processing Ostrich, Duck, Chicken eggs for drinking in front of Villagers to gross them out.

If you really want to use Animals for g then ignore anything that requires time and effort, so get rid of Pigs and any animal that produces too often. Fill the Barn with any combination of Ostriches, Sheep and Cows. Fill the Coop with any combination of Dinosaurs, Ducks, or Bunnies. Cows are the exception for Combat Cheese, only 1 or 2 Cows needed depending on your needs.

riklaunim

Sodbuster
Pigs still win. Only sheep can compete with crackers, not to mention golden chickens but those are late to the party. And with iridium truffles, you can skip making oil for a more lazy approach. And when you have pigs income you can buy a lot of food (outdoing local cows). For coop income-wise bunny, duck and dino are bad, chicken is average. Golden chicken is strong. With Artifact Appraisal Guide and animal crackers, dinos can be a super low-effort setup without any egg processing. Bunny legs are handy for gifts though.

For Skull Caverns run having a few+ fish ponds with lava eels would be the dream - just to have a steady flow of spicy lava eels ;)

Lew Zealand

Helper
Pigs still win. Only sheep can compete with crackers, not to mention golden chickens but those are late to the party. And with iridium truffles, you can skip making oil for a more lazy approach. And when you have pigs income you can buy a lot of food (outdoing local cows). For coop income-wise bunny, duck and dino are bad, chicken is average. Golden chicken is strong. With Artifact Appraisal Guide and animal crackers, dinos can be a super low-effort setup without any egg processing. Bunny legs are handy for gifts though.

For Skull Caverns run having a few+ fish ponds with lava eels would be the dream - just to have a steady flow of spicy lava eels ;)
The problem with Pigs is needing to pick up the Truffles. I used to do 10 Pigs in the Barn but got rid of them for the significant time savings. The AutoGrabber collects everything else saving a lot of time, except for Pigs.

Late in game, I find that small differences in g aren't noticeable whereas big savings in time spent are very much appreciated for a more enjoyable playthrough. But of course that's just me and everyone prefers to focus on different things which is why the flexibility of this game is so great!

stardew_luv

Farmer
The problem with Pigs is needing to pick up the Truffles. I used to do 10 Pigs in the Barn but got rid of them for the significant time savings. The AutoGrabber collects everything else saving a lot of time, except for Pigs.

Late in game, I find that small differences in g aren't noticeable whereas big savings in time spent are very much appreciated for a more enjoyable playthrough. But of course that's just me and everyone prefers to focus on different things which is why the flexibility of this game is so great!
That’s Lew…just chilaxing 😎🍷

HaleyRocks

Farmer
I have 2x coops + 2x barns. They are not organized with either maximizing profit, or minimizing effort... But for acommodating all animals that exist, in a healthy mix, reflecting an amalgamation of my very own personal likes and the higher money value that some of their products sell!

For instance, i run:

2 white chicken
2 brown chicken
2 blue chicken
2 void chicken
4 golden chicken (until unlocking, i use 4 blue chicken on top of the other 2 mentioned right above)
4 ducks
4 rabbits
4 dinos

4 white cows
4 brown cows
4 goats
6 pigs
4 ostriches
2 lambs

If you give them all a golden biscuit, they become a quite noticeable income source, as well as choosing the profession for buffing truffles (gathering more and at full quality). I used to neglect them for many days in a row in my previous save, which resulted into piles upon piles of stuff; which forced me to construct a big shed, filled to the brim with machinery in such a design fashion, that all of them could get a Hopper... Then, proceeded to distributing the endless piles of animals products and picking them up, at my leisure. Now, i just take care to micromanage them properly each and every day, or every next day, at most. They need time, dedication and too much care, improportionate to other tasks you might need to cater to, in-game. But they pay off.

Late game, i resort to Dehydrators, 360x starfruit spots on Ginger island, 119x ancient fruit spots in greenhouse and 5 huge formations with tapped trees, complete with big rows of mushroom logs... As well as my 132x beehives (which also need 4 days and combine perfectly with mushroom harvest)!

I like to keep a coop of at least six ducks near the farm's best water source late game just to watch them swim in the water. :duck:

I might keep a void chicken for gifting and a blue one to support Shane's new business as well. It depends on the playthrough.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
They can absolutely be,

Rabbits are great for gifts, even if only used for the more annoying npcs to gift like pierre and alex

Animals in general are good money makers that are usually low maintenance, with the midgame auto petter and grabber purchases at least. pig barns are good ways to fill space and harvesting foragables is nowhere near as boring as hundreds of crops at a time.

The best use of tiles on the farm is animal buildings, at least if you're considering the fact that you can keep all your machines off the farm.

They can absolutely be,

Rabbits are great for gifts, even if only used for the more annoying npcs to gift like pierre and alex

Animals in general are good money makers that are usually low maintenance, with the midgame auto petter and grabber purchases at least. pig barns are good ways to fill space and harvesting foragables is nowhere near as boring as hundreds of crops at a time.

The best use of tiles on the farm is animal buildings, at least if you're considering the fact that you can keep all your machines off the farm.
I'm surprised it took you this long to get here with all of your shenanigans

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Didn't really know where to jump in, it's pretty hard to compare any real money making with just outright duping lol, and I generally profess people don't follow my lead, it's not exactly enjoyable, even if profitable

Bunnies for the Qi's kindness quests! Maybe that's only midgame though?
Ohh that would be a good question, how would you define early, mid and end game in stardew, more experienced players might say that the CC and especially Joja is early game and then everything between then and getting perfection is mid game but then that would say the gold clock is mid game. Damm I know that this is not the point of this thread but it is an interesting question

Lew Zealand

Helper
Ohh that would be a good question, how would you define early, mid and end game in stardew, more experienced players might say that the CC and especially Joja is early game and then everything between then and getting perfection is mid game but then that would say the gold clock is mid game. Damm I know that this is not the point of this thread but it is an interesting question
Yeah, we've been skirting the question of when is what. Maybe we need a poll! Which I don't know how I'd construct. In general, for me the game goes like this:

Early game (thru Sp-Su Year 2)
open map up
finish Community Center
lots of :heart: with Villagers
farming and animal expansion (1 Barn, 1 Coop, 100-200 crop spots, 10-15 Tapped Trees)

Mid game (thru Sp-Su Year 3)
Return Sceptre
Movie Theater
open up Ginger Island (blasted parrots and walnuts...)
early Skull Cavern runs
Finalize 'minimal' Farm setup (mostly Sheep, Dinos, Seasonal crops: Rhubarb/Starfroot/Pumpkin)
Expand 1-2 Sheds mostly full of Jars+Kegs and Cellar with Casks for processing g

Late Game (Late Year 3+)
Qi Quests
Volcano runs for Treasure Chests, Forge, Dragon Teef and Boots
Bomb the Farm regularly becuz Bomb Farming's the best!
Get all Obelisks
Have fun in Skull Cavern
suck at JotPK
come up with a Farm design theme
decide how I will avoid Perfection again