are animals still relevant late game?

Wolf Haley

Sodbuster
I feel like once you have millions of coins, animals seem to start making really light change, but I only have one barn and one coop. the barn is all pigs and the coop is all Dinos. I kind of want to just stop caring for my animals, as they're just one more thing to worry about. (most of my money comes from duping magic rock candy and selling it) but anyway, is there a more efficient way to use animals?

riklaunim

Sodbuster
If you are duplicating items then normal economy doesn't really apply. Pigs are one of the best money maker but you don't have the scale of multiple barns to see big numbers daily.

Auto Petter allows skipping daily petting.

Auto Grabber can handle dinosaur eggs (and there is Treasure Appraisal Guide book that will 3x the price of the dino egg but not mayo).

Golden Animal Cracker improves animal output (other than pig).

Lew Zealand

Helper
Animals aren't really relevant to (non Filthy Gorilla optimization) late game g as Artisan processing Crops is really overpowered. Instead their relevance is more targetted towards using their products, not selling them. Cheese from processing Cow milk for Skull Cavern/Volcano/Mines runs, Cloth from processing Bunny and Sheep wool for Clothing, Mayo from processing Ostrich, Duck, Chicken eggs for drinking in front of Villagers to gross them out.

If you really want to use Animals for g then ignore anything that requires time and effort, so get rid of Pigs and any animal that produces too often. Fill the Barn with any combination of Ostriches, Sheep and Cows. Fill the Coop with any combination of Dinosaurs, Ducks, or Bunnies. Cows are the exception for Combat Cheese, only 1 or 2 Cows needed depending on your needs.

riklaunim

Sodbuster
Pigs still win. Only sheep can compete with crackers, not to mention golden chickens but those are late to the party. And with iridium truffles, you can skip making oil for a more lazy approach. And when you have pigs income you can buy a lot of food (outdoing local cows). For coop income-wise bunny, duck and dino are bad, chicken is average. Golden chicken is strong. With Artifact Appraisal Guide and animal crackers, dinos can be a super low-effort setup without any egg processing. Bunny legs are handy for gifts though.

For Skull Caverns run having a few+ fish ponds with lava eels would be the dream - just to have a steady flow of spicy lava eels ;)

Lew Zealand

Helper
Pigs still win. Only sheep can compete with crackers, not to mention golden chickens but those are late to the party. And with iridium truffles, you can skip making oil for a more lazy approach. And when you have pigs income you can buy a lot of food (outdoing local cows). For coop income-wise bunny, duck and dino are bad, chicken is average. Golden chicken is strong. With Artifact Appraisal Guide and animal crackers, dinos can be a super low-effort setup without any egg processing. Bunny legs are handy for gifts though.

For Skull Caverns run having a few+ fish ponds with lava eels would be the dream - just to have a steady flow of spicy lava eels ;)
The problem with Pigs is needing to pick up the Truffles. I used to do 10 Pigs in the Barn but got rid of them for the significant time savings. The AutoGrabber collects everything else saving a lot of time, except for Pigs.

Late in game, I find that small differences in g aren't noticeable whereas big savings in time spent are very much appreciated for a more enjoyable playthrough. But of course that's just me and everyone prefers to focus on different things which is why the flexibility of this game is so great!