World of warcraft

riklaunim

Sodbuster
Depends what you expect and want to do. Playerbase got more salty over the years, some expansions were really bad while the game went more "competitive" and sellout way. And there is current version as well as older classic versions (Vanilla WoW as it was back then, and WoW Cataclysm old expansion) which feel and play differently, although players as usual created metas and "optimized the fun out of the game" to some extent.

Some went to FFXIV which I can recommend overall if you want a good story while current expansion Dawntrail is pushing the game into crossroads - they have to move future expansion into a newer, less stale formula and do better at storytelling as they got a worse story in one expansion and things start to fall apart.

LRangerR

Local Legend
The game definitely isn't what it used to be. I prefer to stay away from mmorpgs but if that's what you crave then im sure there might be other decent games out there. If you really want WoW tho , I suggest reading up on some modern objective reviews of the game

riklaunim

Sodbuster
I suggest reading up on some modern objective reviews of the game
I doubt there will be objective reviews. Outsiders will gloss over while existing players will focus their reviews around what they do in an MMORPG.

Like the "game is getting too complex"/"should be simplified" debate WoW had some time ago. Asmongold called it out and most opposed were... mythic world first raiders. I played the game a few expansions ago and nowadays I just see clips of how M+ went to trash and is getting worse and worse with completion rate, PUGs, and meta.

obviously if it has mixed reviews like most do or isnt worth playing is there anything else could recommend that is worth giving ago

LRangerR

Local Legend
It's been a while since I played lord of the rings online, but it's free to play and worth a go. I must say tho that, as a Tolkien scholar, the game throws lore out the window and only incorporates what is convenient or necessary. Even so, it's a decent time. I don't think I'll ever call any mmo "fun" though

It's been a while since I played lord of the rings online, but it's free to play and worth a go. I must say tho that, as a Tolkien scholar, the game throws lore out the window and only incorporates what is convenient or necessary. Even so, it's a decent time. I don't think I'll ever call any mmo "fun" though
Okay cool :check: