If you could add one thing to Stardew Valley what would it be?

NetworkerC

Planter
I just think they're using CAs community to get ideas for their own uninspired game. I have no problem with other developers posting here before, and am on good terms with a few of them, but these guys are only trying to poll for opinions or ideas on what would make SDV better, or what we like most about it. When asked for details about their game, I saw nothing of substance in reply. Simply put, I don't trust them.
It’s not a worry without substance (Yeetus), but, and I know this is such a stock answer, but if you think something’s iffy, holler at Jade or Odin.

I just think they're using CAs community to get ideas for their own uninspired game. I have no problem with other developers posting here before, and am on good terms with a few of them, but these guys are only trying to poll for opinions or ideas on what would make SDV better, or what we like most about it. When asked for details about their game, I saw nothing of substance in reply. Simply put, I don't trust them.
@LRangerR thank you for explaining I understand. It’s a worry this is happening it’s not the right or fair thing to do.

Lew Zealand

Helper
While I like and appreciate the sentiment, I need to draw from my extensive experience in not being good at things and go with:

Mostly Harmless

To put a fine point on it: Ideas are cheap, I'm full of it. them! I'm full of them, those ideas. But execution is fiendishly difficult and not for most people (hey that's me!). So from my perspective people trolling for ideas is wayyy far down the mostly harmless spectrum of game development because the chances that anyone is going to create even a kindasorta Stardew Valley-quality game (which itself would be quite good) is extremely unlikely.

Ideas are the easy part, execution and attention to detail and sprites and music and animations and character development and incidental sounds and a feeling of an integrated community are each big problems to be solved and very very few people are up to the task. We know of one. There are a few other dev teams making Stardew-adjacent games which are alright to excellent.

But trolling for ideas? That's like going to the beach and asking people where the shiny rocks are. Sure they may point you over there where there are a few more but you could have found those on your own with little effort. Now ask them where the nudibranchs are. Or the conch shells. How 'bout the razor clams? Maybe you get blank looks or an informed sunbather tells you need a beach 2500 miles away. That's the harder stuff.

Let's see what happens when they start asking questions fulla lotsa these: { } " "

That's when the fun starts.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
While I like and appreciate the sentiment, I need to draw from my extensive experience in not being good at things and go with:

Mostly Harmless

To put a fine point on it: Ideas are cheap, I'm full of it. them! I'm full of them, those ideas. But execution is fiendishly difficult and not for most people (hey that's me!). So from my perspective people trolling for ideas is wayyy far down the mostly harmless spectrum of game development because the chances that anyone is going to create even a kindasorta Stardew Valley-quality game (which itself would be quite good) is extremely unlikely.

Ideas are the easy part, execution and attention to detail and sprites and music and animations and character development and incidental sounds and a feeling of an integrated community are each big problems to be solved and very very few people are up to the task. We know of one. There are a few other dev teams making Stardew-adjacent games which are alright to excellent.

But trolling for ideas? That's like going to the beach and asking people where the shiny rocks are. Sure they may point you over there where there are a few more but you could have found those on your own with little effort. Now ask them where the nudibranchs are. Or the conch shells. How 'bout the razor clams? Maybe you get blank looks or an informed sunbather tells you need a beach 2500 miles away. That's the harder stuff.

Let's see what happens when they start asking questions fulla lotsa these: { } " "

That's when the fun starts.
Exactly! Whatever con they're trying to pull, they're going to flop immensely. Because it is not that simple. Look at how many farming games there are now, and for the most part, they can't hold a candle to Stardew Valley.

Also, I take immense pleasure from trolling just about every question with completely truthful and honest answers that are also utterly useless to anyone wanting idea/input. Because my brain is completely obsessed with rabbits, they're all I want, and they're all I care about. That'll skew their data nicely.

Ereo

Helper
Exactly! Whatever con they're trying to pull, they're going to flop immensely. Because it is not that simple. Look at how many farming games there are now, and for the most part, they can't hold a candle to Stardew Valley.

Also, I take immense pleasure from trolling just about every question with completely truthful and honest answers that are also utterly useless to anyone wanting idea/input. Because my brain is completely obsessed with rabbits, they're all I want, and they're all I care about. That'll skew their data nicely.
Plus, they can get the same ideas just by looking at the forums. There’s a “what do you wish was in the game/the next update” thread every couple of weeks. There’s a whole game suggestions forum full of suggestions. There’s discussions on who peoples favourite spouses/characters are, and why. There’s discussions on what game mechanics people like, and what they hate.

I don’t think threads like this would really provide any more helpful input.

LRangerR

Local Legend

This is why we get along, and also why I keep a rabbit coop dedicated to our fluffy fluffums on every farm I keep. It's mandatory and non negotiable and fluffy

I think it’d be awesome to have seasonal festivals based on the type of farm you have. For example, a summer luau for beach farms or a cozy harvest festival for forest farms would add a fun twist! I love the community aspect in Stardew Valley, and unique mini-games or events tied to your farm’s theme would make it even more engaging. It’d be a great way to showcase what you’ve grown and meet other characters in a more lively setting!

Maher

Farmer
And now to the OP's question. Nematode ranching. Totally nematode ranching. And different kinds of nematodes can have different kinds of castings that serve any function from fertilizing crops to making the PC so sick that Harvey can't fix it. And they all look alike so the only way you can find out is to try them.