Fish pond suggestion?

HaleyRocks

Farmer
Right now, i have 28 fish ponds at my farm, which accomodate all fish used in cooking, all fish that make a favorite gift, all fish that change water color (4), some producing rare items (ex deep sea fish, stingray) etc...

Through trustworthy sources (our invaluable FilthyGorilla, we know that the upcoming microupdate to the game, is going to allow Legendary Fish inside fish pond(s)! This opens up a ton of both opportunities, as well as architecture aesthetics. Problem is, i cannot add more than 28 ponds due to lack of space (meadowlands) and i need the vast majority of the species my farm accomodates (especially the fish used in cooking).

Should i raise the entire range of Legendary fish, or only the most ludicrous one (Legend, Legend II)? What would you raise and why? What would you axe, had you been in my shoes and why, in order to accomodate them? I currently have:

*TUNA
*SARDINE
*BREAM
*LARGEMOUTH BASS
*RAINBOW TROUT
*SALMON
*CARP
*SUNFISH
*EEL
*SQUID
*SEA CUCUMBER
*FLOUNDER
*MIDNIGHT CARP
*STURGEON

Pufferfish
Catfish
Octopus
Super Cucumber
Lava Eel
Sandfish

$ Ice Pip
$ Spookfish
$ Blobfish
$ Stonefish

void salmon
slimejack

stingray

midnight squid

Last edited:

riklaunim

Sodbuster
There is a mod that makes ponds smaller so you can build way more of them ;) Or scrap less valuable fish, like the gift ones.

Also where is the info about legendary fish ponds? Will it be a part of 1.6.9?

Also not seeing it but I haven’t played the beta, there’s a chance it’s not documented yet which also means of course it may or may not stick. The Legend reproducing in a fish pond would be some crazy profit, would be curious what the rate is.

Regardless, addressing the original question directly:

My personal recommendation would be to eliminate the fish used for cooking, which are available any time. For example, the largemouth bass is available most of the day, any season, any weather. So I’d replace that with the Legend. Doubly so because the recipe in question isn’t particularly “good” and is really only useful for gifts to Jodi.

The carp is the #1 fish begging for replacement in my book, since making a carp surprise chews up half the pond, it’s not loved by anyone, and if you do want to make it (again not a great recipe) you can always catch some carp, any time, any season, any weather.

If you agree with that logic let me know and I can identify what other cooking fish are good options for trimming out. If not then that’s fair and the ones used just for output can be assessed.

Benhimself

Rancher
I agree to axe the less-used recipe fish. Honestly, if they do let you make legendary fish ponds, I can't see doing a fish pond farm and not devoting 10 spaces to iterations of both versions of each. In which case it might be more productive to ask which 18 fish do you want to keep? Like, clearly if I'm doing a fish pond farm I'm doing it for fun rather than profit or efficiency so the "fun" ponds to me would be the color-changers and the ones with rare drops: rainbow trout for prismatic shards, blobfish for pearls, etc etc.

You need a crab and snail pond. Bc they're cute
I always have a crab pond. They're cute, they give a larger variety of items, they make Willy and Pam happy and you can occasionally use one to make Elliot's favorite dish. They're just winners all around. ^_^

Midnight Squid and Squid both give Squid Ink only, with Midnights having the option to give an additional one. So if you need to free up a pond, you can choose one or the other depending on whether you want more ink or a quick ingredient option. Since my Lava Eels always end up giving me a lot of Spicey Eel, I never keep a standard Squid pond, myself.

LRangerR

Local Legend
I always have a crab pond. They're cute, they give a larger variety of items, they make Willy and Pam happy and you can occasionally use one to make Elliot's favorite dish. They're just winners all around. ^_^

Midnight Squid and Squid both give Squid Ink only, with Midnights having the option to give an additional one. So if you need to free up a pond, you can choose one or the other depending on whether you want more ink or a quick ingredient option. Since my Lava Eels always end up giving me a lot of Spicey Eel, I never keep a standard Squid pond, myself.
Excellent observations!