A message to Shane fans

VampireCake

Farmer
Instinctive compassion. Sometimes people are drawn to it, even though no, you generally cannot 'fix' people - but you can try to help them gain the means to hopefully begin to heal themselves. Perhaps by showing him that he has value, and is worthy of love, even though he doesn't believe it.

Depression twists your brain.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
You can never really fix someone, only support them so that they fix themselves. And in all honesty Shane does an amazing job at healing his relationships, actions, and more.

He quits drinking, begins his own job and further supports those closest to him, Marnie and Jas

People always say he reverts when married but that's honestly some sort of mandela effect because he barely does anything that suggests he "reverts" unless you really let his hearts dwindle down to like below 6-7 (where all spouses naturally begin to change their mannerisms more and for obvious reasons)

You can never really fix someone, only support them so that they fix themselves. And in all honesty Shane does an amazing job at healing his relationships, actions, and more.

He quits drinking, begins his own job and further supports those closest to him, Marnie and Jas

People always say he reverts when married but that's honestly some sort of mandela effect because he barely does anything that suggests he "reverts" unless you really let his hearts dwindle down to like below 6-7 (where all spouses naturally begin to change their mannerisms more and for obvious reasons)
Fair point, consider me an enlightened person

There's several layers here I want to peel back but warning, it will not answer your question!
When you play Stardew Valley, even if you design the farmer to be like yourself and give it your name, it is not "you". You can't marry Shane, only the little character you play marries anyone. And you only know a tiny bit of your character's backstory, they used to work at JojaCorp and inherited the farm from grandad. You don't know their childhood, education, parents, not even the town they come from. If they want to marry Shane you might not understand why!
Also, the characters do not have choices and can't change or do anything except the script set in the game's programming. Your farmer can't fix Shane, your farmer is not the game programmer. You could fix Shane and there probably are mods where people have fixed Shane! I think I would like, instead of his spouse room, it should be a room for Jas. Shane is Jas' godfather and Marnie is Shane's aunt. It doesn't make sense why Jas would stay with Marnie. But the photo from the secret note looks really old, yet Shane only moved in with Marnie a few months before the farmer arrives.
On another level, many people like and relate to Shane. Many of us struggle with depression and alcoholism. Many of us seem hostile because we are unhappy and not coping well. I personally related so much to Shane when I saw him climbing out of the bin of potatoes at JojaMart- I have wanted to hide at work too!
And Shane does change. It's a certain type of character that starts out unfriendly but later becomes nice. (Yandere?) Haley is one too.
Also, people marry Shane because they like Charlie and the blue chickens. Because he sends gifts in the mail. You can even tailor the pepper poppers into a Zuzu Tunnelers jersey and have matching outfits! He likes salmonberries so he's easy to begin building friendship points early in the game. He loves peppers, which are an ever bearing crop, and he's easy to find, so you can woo him easily.
And despite the differences in spouse rooms, heart events, gifts, or dialog, many players only marry for the gameplay purpose of collecting a stardrop, required to achieve perfection.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Nah Pierre is going to far. Lewis yes Pierre no
Pierre gets too much hate, and it is always important to know that his character has changed significantly since the game debuted. He wasn't always a money grubbing Joja wannabe, he was actually a likable but flawed small shop owner. It disgusts me what he has turned into, and I generally take those frustrations out on the parrots.

There's several layers here I want to peel back but warning, it will not answer your question!
When you play Stardew Valley, even if you design the farmer to be like yourself and give it your name, it is not "you". You can't marry Shane, only the little character you play marries anyone. And you only know a tiny bit of your character's backstory, they used to work at JojaCorp and inherited the farm from grandad. You don't know their childhood, education, parents, not even the town they come from. If they want to marry Shane you might not understand why!
Also, the characters do not have choices and can't change or do anything except the script set in the game's programming. Your farmer can't fix Shane, your farmer is not the game programmer. You could fix Shane and there probably are mods where people have fixed Shane! I think I would like, instead of his spouse room, it should be a room for Jas. Shane is Jas' godfather and Marnie is Shane's aunt. It doesn't make sense why Jas would stay with Marnie. But the photo from the secret note looks really old, yet Shane only moved in with Marnie a few months before the farmer arrives.
On another level, many people like and relate to Shane. Many of us struggle with depression and alcoholism. Many of us seem hostile because we are unhappy and not coping well. I personally related so much to Shane when I saw him climbing out of the bin of potatoes at JojaMart- I have wanted to hide at work too!
And Shane does change. It's a certain type of character that starts out unfriendly but later becomes nice. (Yandere?) Haley is one too.
Also, people marry Shane because they like Charlie and the blue chickens. Because he sends gifts in the mail. You can even tailor the pepper poppers into a Zuzu Tunnelers jersey and have matching outfits! He likes salmonberries so he's easy to begin building friendship points early in the game. He loves peppers, which are an ever bearing crop, and he's easy to find, so you can woo him easily.
And despite the differences in spouse rooms, heart events, gifts, or dialog, many players only marry for the gameplay purpose of collecting a stardrop, required to achieve perfection.
Dude, people marry weird things all the time. I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone actually married one of these characters.

Also you're thinking tsundere (literally: a hot n cold personality). Yandere are similar but more violently protective. While Haley and Shane are classic tsunderes, the ones I feel most likely to be yan would be probably Abigail or Leah. Yup

Pierre gets too much hate, and it is always important to know that his character has changed significantly since the game debuted. He wasn't always a money grubbing Joja wannabe, he was actually a likable but flawed small shop owner. It disgusts me what he has turned into, and I generally take those frustrations out on the parrots.

Dude, people marry weird things all the time. I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone actually married one of these characters.

Also you're thinking tsundere (literally: a hot n cold personality). Yandere are similar but more violently protective. While Haley and Shane are classic tsunderes, the ones I feel most likely to be yan would be probably Abigail or Leah. Yup
There’s a Yandere Jas mod I saw once😭