beach farm question, how is the fishing?

riklaunim

Tiller
It's only % for ocean fish so not as best as riverland, but the farm itself is much larger. Good for large set of buildings, fish ponds, mushroom logs/tea plantations.

Riverland farm starts with a fish smoker which is a huge money making boost early on.

Last edited:

riklaunim

Tiller
yeah the fish smoker will be hard to aquire on the ocean farm because you need to get to level 100 in the mine for cave jellys
You can do on previous fishing levels too. The lvl 100 has highest base chance but either way to get them you need personal (not daily) luck buff which is hard to come by early.

I have two beach farms and have had great luck fishing on both, to the point that I never go fishing at the other beaches late game. I've gotten a good variety of seasonal ocean fish, including eels and squid. I actually prefer fishing on my beach farms to my riverland farm.

Just keep in mind that if you have monsters turned on, the monsters don't pause during fishing like the villagers do. I had a really annoying irridium bat just chipping away at my health while I was reeling in my catch the other day.😄

Lew Zealand

Helper
Just keep in mind that if you have monsters turned on, the monsters don't pause during fishing like the villagers do. I had a really annoying irridium bat just chipping away at my health while I was reeling in my catch the other day.😄
Whaaatt? Was this in single player? That freeze time game mechanic, even for things like eating Food to heal, is a key part of my playstyle. The few times I've played Multiplayer it's been a real issue getting things done at the leisurely pace I'm accustomed to as time freezes for nothing.

This further confirms my conclusion and I will never be even remotely interested in the Wilderness Farm or turning on Farm monsters.

I play a chill Farm game to chill after a day of unchilled Work and the last thing I want is some totally chillless monsters tickling the backs of my knees while I'm running from them tryna remember where I left the Sewing Machine this week.

Whaaatt? Was this in single player? That freeze time game mechanic, even for things like eating Food to heal, is a key part of my playstyle. The few times I've played Multiplayer it's been a real issue getting things done at the leisurely pace I'm accustomed to as time freezes for nothing.

This further confirms my conclusion and I will never be even remotely interested in the Wilderness Farm or turning on Farm monsters.

I play a chill Farm game to chill after a day of unchilled Work and the last thing I want is some totally chillless monsters tickling the backs of my knees while I'm running from them tryna remember where I left the Sewing Machine this week.
Both single player and multiplayer (played both single player and multi). They pause when you eat, same as in the mines, but not when fishing (even when reeling in the fish).

You could turn off monsters in the wilderness farm via the witch's hut if you ever wanted to check it out.

Ereo

Helper
Both single player and multiplayer (played both single player and multi). They pause when you eat, same as in the mines, but not when fishing (even when reeling in the fish).
which is the same behaviour as the only other mob you can encounter while fishing, the flying bugs in the sewer also keep attacking while you fish. They just don’t do a lot of damage so it doesn’t really matter.

riklaunim

Tiller
You can un-check monster spawning for the Wilderness Farm, somewhat nice layout to plan around.

If anyone is looking for something thematic and unique I could recommend:

- Desert Farm: Cozy Desert Farm at Stardew Valley Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com)
- Small pretty farm: Feenbucht Farm at Stardew Valley Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com)

The first one is really nice and thematic for a desert farm, plus the bonus caves and functionality, path to the actual desert later on. The second one is small, nice looking, has a quarry, stumps and hot springs (although requires upgraded tools to unblock) plus some custom foraging spawns.

Custom smaller beach farm - Small Beach Farm at Stardew Valley Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com) - is also nice. There is few ultra-small for crazy challenge runs or just custom modded playthrough. I made one such map - Permafrost farm at Stardew Valley Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com) - where the farm is always in Winter while other zones follow the seasons.

Lew Zealand

Helper
which is the same behaviour as the only other mob you can encounter while fishing, the flying bugs in the sewer also keep attacking while you fish. They just don’t do a lot of damage so it doesn’t really matter.
And I had forgotten this. Many a bare shoulder was munched in the quest to get 4 or 5 dozen Slimejacks for green Farm Pond water and complete the theme of my Slime Farm with Abby.

Akuriko

Farmhand
so far i tried the exsperiment for fishing on the beach more trash then fish, 2ndly I exsperimented on floor 20, had awesome luck from the tv, no dice on the cave elly, I got river and ocean jelly aka sea jelly like crazy but no cave jelly, lol

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend

You could turn off monsters in the wilderness farm via the witch's hut if you ever wanted to check it out.
No, the game does pause some functions when in the fishing minigame (in singleplayer), it doesn't pause casting or pulling the fish in though

You can test this by going into singleplayer and just staying in the fishing minigame for over ~7 seconds and seeing that time doesn't advance

Edit: reread your comment and I misunderstood what you were getting at, sorry 😅 (my point about certain functions being paused still stands though it's not a correction of what you were saying, now just an addition.)