Rabbits should be able to breed

imnvs

Local Legend
Who has not heard the phrase "screw like bunnies" (or something similar) referencing rabbits having a high sex drive and procreation rate? I mean, most times rabbits/bunnies are mentioned when talking about something else, someone is talking about lots of happy fun time under the sheets or they are talking about something having lots of babies.

But rabbits in SDV do not reproduce. Barn animals can give birth. Coop animals except rabbits lay eggs, and you can incubate any eggs. That leaves rabbits... who, by all rights, should quickly fill any coop in which you put 2 of them, but they can't, which seems completely backwards to me. Anyone else?

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
I definitely agree. The fact that the rabbits can't breed never made sense to me. You'd think they would have a higher likelihood of breeding than the barn animals. Maybe this could be illustrated with a coop birth event that occurs more often than the barn birth event? So, unless you disable pregnancy on the rabbits as soon as they grow up, you're likely gonna end up with babies.

Boyvyew

Greenhorn
It's been a while since your post, but I'd like to add some information.
Rabbits are just so adorable, and it's natural to think about them breeding, especially if you have a soft spot for these fluffy creatures. I think it's important for rabbits to be able to breed because it allows them to continue their species and ensures they have a happy, natural life. When rabbits breed naturally, they're following the instincts and behaviors that have been part of their lives for centuries. It's like they're doing what comes naturally, you know? And seeing baby bunnies hopping around is like a real-life episode of cheerfulbunny.com ! It's heartwarming and just makes you smile. Of course, responsible breeding is key. Making sure rabbits are healthy, have enough space, and are well-cared for is super important. We want them to thrive and have the best life possible. So yeah, I'm all for rabbits being able to breed when it's done in a thoughtful and caring way.

Last edited:

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I always thought it was intentional to dissuade the fact that they wouldn't breed like rabbits if it were part of the game. I don't think CA wanted people to make rabbit farms where they sell the baby rabbits being produced en masse or deal with people wondering why they don't breed like rabbits, so instead opted to give the player neutered rabbits (or something else affecting them)

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Oh my gosh. Please no. CA was kind enough to have Marnie only sell us neutered and spayed young bunny rabbits. You don't want to deal with endless litters of rabbits. ENDLESS, I tell you! They get pregnant right after giving birth! It's so awful.

Also, the rabbit feet are made of felted rabbit wool. No rabbits were harmed in their creation.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Nature conserves energy.

In order for your Rabbits to produce Wool at the crazy high rate of enough to craft an entire fab fashionable outfit for Farmer Bobbi every 8 days, you have to give up something. In addition, when that Rabbit's fur follicles just get too tired to continue threading out more fluffy fuzz, it decides to drop a foot instead for a bit of variety, and I've had a good long look at my Rabbits afterwards.

From both sides.

Sometimes they just won't turn around like they're trying to hide something, but I can be patient. If I don't fall asleep. But after much watching and general snoozing in a chair, I can confirm that all my bunbuns have 4 whole feets after I find a Rabbit's Foot in the AutoGrabber. Do you have any idea of how hard it is to regenerate a useful foot? Yeah me neither but I'll bet it's a real pain. Maybe I'll give the Rabbit my chair next time with a Piña Colada.

But the toll must be paid and it comes in the form of no babybunbuns. So these are some weird fluffy subspecies likely created by Dr. FrankenMarnie in her microwave of doom where on a dark and stormy Monday afternoon, she tossed caution to the wind and nuked a salamander burrito just as lightning hit while she was holding a rabbit, and the 3 of them were fused into a modern horror of excessive fluffiness, occasional extra limbs, and the curse of non-reproduction.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Nature conserves energy.

In order for your Rabbits to produce Wool at the crazy high rate of enough to craft an entire fab fashionable outfit for Farmer Bobbi every 8 days, you have to give up something. In addition, when that Rabbit's fur follicles just get too tired to continue threading out more fluffy fuzz, it decides to drop a foot instead for a bit of variety, and I've had a good long look at my Rabbits afterwards.

From both sides.

Sometimes they just won't turn around like they're trying to hide something, but I can be patient. If I don't fall asleep. But after much watching and general snoozing in a chair, I can confirm that all my bunbuns have 4 whole feets after I find a Rabbit's Foot in the AutoGrabber. Do you have any idea of how hard it is to regenerate a useful foot? Yeah me neither but I'll bet it's a real pain. Maybe I'll give the Rabbit my chair next time with a Piña Colada.

But the toll must be paid and it comes in the form of no babybunbuns. So these are some weird fluffy subspecies likely created by Dr. FrankenMarnie in her microwave of doom where on a dark and stormy Monday afternoon, she tossed caution to the wind and nuked a salamander burrito just as lightning hit while she was holding a rabbit, and the 3 of them were fused into a modern horror of excessive fluffiness, occasional extra limbs, and the curse of non-reproduction.
Was the burrito okay?

MithranArkanere

Sodbuster
Oh my gosh. Please no. CA was kind enough to have Marnie only sell us neutered and spayed young bunny rabbits. You don't want to deal with endless litters of rabbits. ENDLESS, I tell you! They get pregnant right after giving birth! It's so awful.

Also, the rabbit feet are made of felted rabbit wool. No rabbits were harmed in their creation.
Shouldn't rabbits then give a separate kind of wool, and when using it in the loom you have a chance to get a felted rabbit foot instead of cloth?

I always thought it was intentional to dissuade the fact that they wouldn't breed like rabbits if it were part of the game. I don't think CA wanted people to make rabbit farms where they sell the baby rabbits being produced en masse or deal with people wondering why they don't breed like rabbits, so instead opted to give the player neutered rabbits (or something else affecting them)
I dont think it was intentional more than difficult to add. Stardew is a very simple game and the coops are programmed to only breed via incubators. Since the rabbits are the only coop animal that doesnt require a incubator, i think is was just easier to stop them breeding rather than risk conflicting data with the other coop animals.

LRangerR

Local Legend
I dont think it was intentional more than difficult to add. Stardew is a very simple game and the coops are programmed to only breed via incubators. Since the rabbits are the only coop animal that doesnt require a incubator, i think is was just easier to stop them breeding rather than risk conflicting data with the other coop animals.
I would have made it so you can incubate rabbit's feet, personally. Or wool. Not only would it be funny, but at the same time:
Bunnies

That would indeed be funny.

They do need a nest box for the babies, though. Hmm.
Not really, the babies in stardew are always toddlers from birth so the rabbits hutch could be no different than a coop in anything.other than appearance (just to distinguish it from a coop) and not needing a incubator.

So they could make it have the same design as a coop with a few differences to make it unique. Get rid of the incubator and give it the same base programme as the barns, to allow the bunnies to breed.

Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea to be able to buy a separate item from Marnie that you can place in the coop that would allow for rabbit pregnancy. If I remember, I'll create a thread about this
Personally I'd still prefer a hutch designed specifically for the bunnies. For a few reasons

1, the coop is ment for birds (or in stardew case, animals that lay eggs)

2, anyone who wants to breed bunnies will want to give them there own coop.

3, adding a item to the coop to let the bunnies breed is a waste of money. When you have to buy and upgrade a coop for them anyway. Better to buy and upgrade a coop designed for them, rather than spend extra money on a item.

Last edited:

LRangerR

Local Legend
Personally I'd still prefer a hutch designed specifically for the bunnies. For a few reasons

1, the coop is ment for birds (or in stardew case, animals that lay eggs)

2, anyone who wants to breed bunnies will want to give them there own coop.

3, adding a item to the coop to let the bunnies breed is a waste of money. When you have to buy and upgrade a coop for them anyway. Better to buy and upgrade a coop designed for them, rather than spend extra money on a item.
You make several really good points, and I agree with most of them.

However.
I and mog and several others already give our bunnies their own coop, and the bunnies are happy like that. Additionally, rabbits are the most expensive coop dweller, (even if they're free range bunnies) that I would easily shell out a bit just so the bunnies can breed. I mean, weve already bought enough to upgrade at least one coop to max, and purchased all these bunnies, I'm sure you can afford a little upgrade item that functions similar to a heater.

#2, I have a feeling that including an item in the next update would be easier to code and less resources in general to create, instead of creating an all new building for our furry fuzzballs . We all know ape has got a lot on his hands, so I think that if you wanted it that way (which I get and would be really cool), it would be more of a modding thing to do.

imnvs

Local Legend
My counter to this is that ostriches are a barn animal and do require an incubator. If it can go one way, it shouldn't be too difficult to go the other way.