But what IS pie, really?

Draconifors

Planter
A pastry, either sweet or savoury, consisting of a crust and filling, sometimes also topping and/or decoration.

It can be any size, open or closed, baked or not, and the crust can be made in countless ways and from countless different ingredients. The filling, of course, also has countless possibilities.

(And, yes, pizza counts as pie.)

PS. In case of a verbal rather than a written question, I might also answer something along the lines of "an irrational number with a infinite number of decimals, usually rounded to 3,14; used a lot in mathematics (e.g. to calculate the area of a circle). :cool:

Bawby

Farmer
Nice answers. But suppose the Martian then responds with "Moon Pie does not meet parameters of description, creature of Earth. What is a 'cutie-pie? Get your RC cars off my lawn!"

Oh man you guys who never had a chocolate pie! Some glorious day, you will be in for a treat! Have you ever had chocolate pudding, or chocolate mousse? That's kinda what the filling is like. There's usually whipped cream.

I could not explain pie to a Martian. I had an idea about crust and filling before I remembered shepherd's pie.

Oh man you guys who never had a chocolate pie! Some glorious day, you will be in for a treat! Have you ever had chocolate pudding, or chocolate mousse? That's kinda what the filling is like. There's usually whipped cream.

I could not explain pie to a Martian. I had an idea about crust and filling before I remembered shepherd's pie.
Tbf the potatoes are a crust for shepherd's pie

Lew Zealand

Helper
Uhmmmm…

That stuff just doesn't really have a good texture for me.
Idk why.
^^^^^ This. My stomach is already wriggling thinking about that texture. I need foodstuffs to be reasonably quite solid or very much liquid.

Things with a notable disrespect for the different states of matter have their 'food' classification revoked and replaced with 'torture device.'

And a Pie is an edible, solid, bowl-shaped crust filled with a slightly less but still quite respectfully solid filling which is usually very yummy.

Bawby

Farmer
Wait, this Martian is getting confused. Would the puny Earthling delicacy "taco salad bowl" be a pie? How about the "bread bowl" found at Klorg the Unending's domicile (formerly Panera Bread)?

Bawby

Farmer
I would say no unless they have a top crust
Hmm. Though there are single-crust pies, some are technically tarts. <sigh> This poor Martian.
Then what about pizza? I feel so lied to! This whole time, the moon should have hit my heart, like a big pizza tart- THAT'S amore.