Demolishing a coop

elfghostthingy

Greenhorn
Hi! I'm pretty new to Stardew and just registered to this website
I got a second coop by accident because I didn't see the arrows and I thought I needed to buy another one in order to be able to by a silo
What will happen if I demolish the coop? Will I get back the materials?

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Even if you don't intend to put animals into it, don't demolish it right away. Once you upgrade to deluxe coop and barn, you can no longer pull hay from the silo without bombing the hay rack - but you have this basic coop, and you can always pull hay from it. I empty out the silo, put the stack of hay in a chest, and then cut grass to fill the silo up again. Then in winter when my silo runs low, I refill it from the chest.

Dramlin

Newcomer
Even if you don't intend to put animals into it, don't demolish it right away. Once you upgrade to deluxe coop and barn, you can no longer pull hay from the silo without bombing the hay rack - but you have this basic coop, and you can always pull hay from it. I empty out the silo, put the stack of hay in a chest, and then cut grass to fill the silo up again. Then in winter when my silo runs low, I refill it from the chest.
See that's what I've been doing but suddenly it's not working as the hay keeps refilling itself :-( I even hatched an egg to have an animal in the coop to eat the hay; once there was only 1 hay left on the bench I sold the animal. I just went back into the coop to empty my silo and the bench is full again. It happened before but I thought maybe I'd done it myself by mistake, but no.

Ereo

Helper
See that's what I've been doing but suddenly it's not working as the hay keeps refilling itself :-( I even hatched an egg to have an animal in the coop to eat the hay; once there was only 1 hay left on the bench I sold the animal. I just went back into the coop to empty my silo and the bench is full again. It happened before but I thought maybe I'd done it myself by mistake, but no.
how large is the bench? What version of stardew are you playing?
You can always use bombs to destroy the hay on it, and then empty the hopper.

Dramlin

Newcomer
how large is the bench? What version of stardew are you playing?
You can always use bombs to destroy the hay on it, and then empty the hopper.
I'm on my PC on 1.6, with a Big Coop. I always like to leave one of these specifically for cutting hay but it's not working that way anymore. Will just have to bomb my bench! Thanks.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
You can always use an explosive in the coop to destroy the hay on the bench. Doesn't impact animals in any way and will only really affect machines you have in there (that you could move prior to bombing or just not keep right next to the feeding bench in general)