CA says player beds will be movable in 1.5!

Odin

Staff member
Last edited:

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Some people in the Twitter comments brought up about how it might change the speedrunning meta, which I think is interesting! Though, I'm assuming right now that you can only place the bed in the house, at least, I hope so. Seems a bit silly to have your bed out in the desert or something.

Quillmagic

Farmer
Some people in the Twitter comments brought up about how it might change the speedrunning meta, which I think is interesting! Though, I'm assuming right now that you can only place the bed in the house, at least, I hope so. Seems a bit silly to have your bed out in the desert or something.
Yes, definitely. I can see it being like the “Move buildings” mechanic, but in your house, because things would get out of hand really quickly if it was an inventory item:

Your spouse: Honey, put the bed back in the house and stop carrying it around everywhere!

Odin

Staff member
Yeah, I think just having the bed right next to the house door would be enough to shave off a bit of time over the course of a run

Lew Zealand

Helper
Ah, I think I see CA's gameplay intent with the movable bed now.

When Mayor Lewis' Shorts and Pyrite Statue aren't returned in a timely or discreet manner, your Bed goes missing. But it isn't merely Lewis who's up to nefarious antics, it's deeper than that. This big city Newcomer just waltzes into town thinking they're all that, cleaning up that 'old' farm (which is somehow bigger than every other plot of land in town), fishin' up all Pelican Town's beautiful Eels and Blobfish, causing earthquakes and witches (yeah yeah OK, and fairies) to show up every now n' then.

Some of the young, and oddly very eligible, townspersons feel like they're falling for Newcomer's bewitching mouthless smile [Exhibit A, at left], but it's really that they're swayed by empty gifts of material goods, shiny trinkets coldly calculated to inflame the senses (and occasionally wreck the orthodontia). The more mature townsfolk are a little warier of this outside influence, supposedly late of Joja but who's been seen discussing 60K gold options with Morris.

With Newcomer out one night carousing with Bears and trading exorbitant amounts of gold to some shady lady nearby for a J. Cola Light, a townsperson stealthily (-ish) enters their house, dismantles the bed, and makes off into the night with it. The Cat is of course nowhere to be seen, this is why you get a Dog. Because you can blame the Dog as you have actual expectations of it. With a Cat, the expectations top out at interference with media consumption.

Who did it? What was their motivation? Where did the Bed end up? I have an inkling but I'm not sure I want to commit to it yet.

Ideas?

A Junimo

Planter

This will definitely allow for more interesting farm house designs! It's unclear if this will extend to your children's beds or not, although he has said the crib will be removable in 1.5.

Previously announced 1.5 features:
Something new in Willy's shop: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/index.php?threads/1707/
Banana trees: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/index.php?threads/266/
WooHOO! YES!
And cribs, too! I could make the den into my other's kid's bedroom!
Yay!