Ancient fruit outdoors on mainland farm

ArtifactSpot

I’ve never planted Ancient Fruit outside, always in the greenhouse. I see that it lasts 3 seasons. Does it die in winter or just “hibernate.” Will it need to be replanted on Spring day 1?

DragonGwen

Farmer
I think it dies so I always do it in my greenhouse since it takes so long to grow
Edit: I couldn't find anything on the wiki about it so yeah, it probably dies

ArtifactSpot

Ok thanks so much! I might try it on GI then, but I like to save that for other crops too. I used to just do Starfruit but like that you don’t have replant AF.

VampireCake

Farmer
I have one patch of Ancient Fruit in the greenhouse so I always have some in production, mainly to make sure I have seeds for the bigger patch outdoors - I just plant on Spring 1 and let the Junimos take care of them. :smile:

I think only Tea saplings, fruit trees and giant mushrooms are the ones that 'hibernate'. I suppose giant crops, too, although you have to cut them down to harvest them... although now I wish you could tap them like trees and get regular sized crops during their season, that'd be nice.

imnvs

Local Legend
All plants die at the end of their growing season, and ancient fruit has a growing season of everything except Winter.

This means that they are best planted in the Greenhouse or on Ginger Island, which is a giant outdoor greenhouse.
I think only Tea saplings, fruit trees and giant mushrooms are the ones that 'hibernate'. I suppose giant crops, too, although you have to cut them down to harvest them... although now I wish you could tap them like trees and get regular sized crops during their season, that'd be nice.
All of these are not crops, even though giant crops seem like they should be. Once you have to use an axe to cut them down, they are no longer technically a crop.

Additionally, it isn't just fruit trees. Regular trees don't grow during the winter either. Tapping them is a separate thing.

Yea, they die in winter. Which means you just take your last crop and turn them into seeds until you have enough to plant the following spring. It makes your final harvest a little less profitable than the rest, but makes it sustainable. And, gold per day, it's the most profitable crop to grow on your farm over the course of the three seasons. You know, *in addition to* planting it in the greenhouse and on Ginger Island.

Reactions: Tom
I wish I knew they died in Winter. Now I have only 1 seed left instead of a whole crop to harvest. Ah well lucky there’s always next season.

Reactions: Tom
As a note for greenhouse growers as well, though they won’t die with a season change to a non-growing season, that will eliminate the fertilizer. So don’t plant them Fall 27 with Deluxe Speed Gro, wait until Winter 1 so your fertilizer has full impact. Outdoors as long as the plant survives so will your fertilizer if I recall correctly. And yeah, growing some in the greenhouse to turn into seeds to plant in spring outdoors is my usual strategy, it’s fun and very effective.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
As a note for greenhouse growers as well, though they won’t die with a season change to a non-growing season, that will eliminate the fertilizer. So don’t plant them Fall 27 with Deluxe Speed Gro, wait until Winter 1 so your fertilizer has full impact. Outdoors as long as the plant survives so will your fertilizer if I recall correctly. And yeah, growing some in the greenhouse to turn into seeds to plant in spring outdoors is my usual strategy, it’s fun and very effective.
Wait a minute, I've always planted fertilizer in my greenhouse irrespective of season and it has never disappeared. I've used both quality and deluxe fertilizer, and it all stays forever unless I remove it myself.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Wait a minute, I've always planted fertilizer in my greenhouse irrespective of season and it has never disappeared. I've used both quality and deluxe fertilizer, and it all stays forever unless I remove it myself.
I think this was a game mechanic change maybe with v1.5? So nowadays it works like you say, with Fertilizer/Speed Gro/Retaining Soil not disappearing until the spot is cleared, either by disuse or pickaxeing. The soil additives used to disappear at season's change and I think also once you harvested a single-harvest crop in the v1.3.x days but I don't remember if the change happened in v1.4 or v1.5.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Actually nowadays fertilizer stays forever in the greenhouse, pots, and ginger island (the former two don’t even need a crop on it not to decay). You have to pickaxe it to get rid of it.