am i the only one who preferred stardew valley on switch than on pc?

Lew Zealand

Helper
It's usually about what you used first to train your fingers. So if you got used to Switch controls, then that's where you're most comfortable interacting with the game. Half our interaction is the input scheme and once the monkey has been trained, sometimes it's tough to retrain said monkey to do the same task a different way. I play on PC/Mac primarily but also play on mobile and Switch, and mobile is the toughest for me with Switch coming in the middle. I find it a bit maddening sometimes to know what I need to do but to catch my fingers during siesta or in the midst of a revolution and refusing to perform the commands the brain is issuing.

🧠 You need to do this now!

🤞🤘👈☝👇 ...meh, —what? zzzz.....
🤞🤘👈☝👇 mmmpphp.... listen, eh we're in the middle of... something so you can chill, ok?

🧠 you do this with the mouse and KB all the time!

🤞🤘👈☝👇 duuuuuuuuuddeee..... we got that farmed out to the cerebellum and spinal cord like ages ago, go bug them....
🤞🤘👈☝👇 Like have you noticed the eyes are closed half the time "we're" workin', they know where it's at.

🧠 Whaaaaat? <clomps to the front of the bus> now look here eyes, we need to have a talk!

👀 <nasty looks to fingers>

🤞🤘👈☝👇 <snorting and guffawing, drifting off...> zzzzzz......

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Most people enjoy playing on the device they have the most experience with.

as someone who grew up when mobile gaming really started becoming a thing I’ve always played stuff on mobile devices and enjoyed it but I primarily play on pc and since I have thousands of hours playing stardew on my computer I’m naturally far better at it than anything else.

put me in front of a console and I’ll be unable to do anything I’ve never liked console gaming, just never had one and the appeal just isn’t there now

nicodeux

Farmer
I don't play Stardew Valley on Switch, so I can't directly answer the original question. But I agree with @FilthyGorilla that this is probably a matter of personal liking.

I've started playing Stardew Valley on mobile, before purchasing the PC version after a while. I still play on both plateforms and each has its pros or cons. However, I enjoy playing on PC as much as playing on mobile, even though I've started playing on the later.

Speaking only of controls, one has a far better accuracy (and efficiency) on PC due to the combined use of mouse pointing and keyboard, but on the other hand, the "tap to move/use/attack" feature on mobile is very convenient (so are the emergency save and "restore previous day" features)!

Additionaly, the wider screen on the PC grants a better immersion in Stardew Valley, IMHO, but the same can be said to the Switch if connected to a TV screen.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I play mobile and can't imagine playing without tap-to-move. When I've played on PC it feels like the entire game is just steering my farmer around tile by tile.
I don’t even use tap to move or auto attack on mobile tbh, it’s a bit annoying with a tiny phone screen I have but it’s worth it imo to use a better and more accurate control setup even if that means steering my farmer around all the time and manually attacking

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I play mobile and can't imagine playing without tap-to-move. When I've played on PC it feels like the entire game is just steering my farmer around tile by tile.
Hehe, when I tried it out on my tablet, I found I hated tap-to-move because I felt like I had no control over my farmer and was just watching the AI direct him around the screen! Combat was so hands-off I didn't want to play.

I agree that much of it is down to personal preference. I can do either right hand on arrow keys/numeric keypad or left thumb on direction keys/joystick of some kind. And I'm just not great with a mouse.

Rhiannon

Farmer
What @Lew Zealand said. I've never been a console player. I started PC gaming in my 30s. I tried SDV on my iPad but don't care for it. I guess it would be a good travel option (which I don't do much anymore). My half sister is nearly half my age and got a Switch for her Mother's Day gift this year. By all reports she loves it. Who knows that the future hold. At the moment, it's PC for me.

i never played it on another platform than pc, how is it better? i never used mods, i enjoy watching podcasts/movies while playing (2 monitors), can i port my file to switch? and most important how fast it is, because of controls? i think keyboard/mouse is the best

Lew Zealand

Helper
I can give you my impression of the Switch from a long time PC/Mac KB&M user. The buttons are well mapped and it doesn't take long to adjust to them. The precision seems good but I'm really used to my KB&M precision so it doesn't feel *quite* as natural as the PC. The form factor of a portable console is pretty damn great though. When using it docked and the controls thru BT, a small but perceptible lag is added. Fully handheld with controls attached, any lag is minimal. Not sure if the file is portable to Switch but the file format is cross-platform so if you can get it on there, you should be able to continue your save.

But.

The small screen bugs me. I have an outlandish-sized monitor on my PC and love SDV for every inch I can see and a 7" screen, while very nice for portability, is a small frustration for me. I get used to it when playing single player on the go, but when playing Switch co-op, I dock it and play on a big 1080p monitor and it's sooooooooooo nice to get that space. The lag I mentioned above when docked and controlled thru BT? No biggie, I'll take that small tradeoff every time for the screen space. Did Skull Cavern to Lvl 100 and beyond with the input lag and it was fine because I could see everything! 🤓

anbi

Greenhorn
I only play PC for the mods alone, but I just wish I could play in my bed all snuggled up with my Guinea pigs sometimes. I actually prefer the Switch over the keyboard + mouse. I bet the Switch is great for travelling too!