Various Game Mode for Enhance Gameplay Experience

AtomsJosh

Planter
Various Game Mode for Enhance Gameplay Experience.

1. Easy
2. Normal
3. Hard

Why we need this?
Based on my research, like one of my thread (here is the Link), many people want more challenge, but others want to play casual, and some others are too young to expose to fighting zombies, so my conclusion is to add some Game Modes.

What modes? And how they work?
First Game Mode is Easy. In easy there is no mobs (yk what i mean) so sword will be useless in here and there is no fighting just planting. (I like this Mode)

Second is Normal. No need to explain its just Normal

Third is Hard. In hard mode players energy bar is depleting even they do nothing, so they need to eat constantly, plus mobs are now stronger, so how do you survive?

All of my suggestion are optional means the true developer can change this whatever he wants or people wants

- Joshua (sorry about my English)

Drullo321

Sodbuster
That would require too much changes to be able to work because, even if you are only focussing on parts of the game (e.g. farming or fishing), in the long run they are somehow intertwined and you have to to do at least some stuff in other sections. E.g. you can buy wood, stone, and copper ore, iron ore and gold ore but you can't buy hardwood and iridium ore/bars (at least not without spending 1 Mio. money). So you can't deny some foraging, mining and possibly fighting.
Additionally for alot of the new content you need to do all kind of things.

So, for easy mode to be able to work and to experience many parts of the game, you basically have to create exceptions, additional buyable items, etc just to make it work. That is alot of work/time.

In my opinion hard mode is meaningless because the only thing it changes is the amount of time you require to get into a state of endless food / no energy problems. Maybe one to two ingame weeks?

Optionally, in coop and also starting from 1.5 in singleplayer mode, you are able to select a profit margin that maybe works like a small difficulty slider.

I would rather see some more variety in already existing game content (e.g. even more different community center bundles) or some polished content (e.g. an overhauled railroad/bathing area) then invest in some rather nichee options that would require serious rework.

AtomsJosh

Planter
As I said everything is optional depending to the developer needs or players needs. Perhaps you have some suggestions?

imnvs

Local Legend
First, I'm 100% behind make the game easier for casual players and harder for the folks wanting a challenge. That said, I have issues with how you suggest we do so.

First, my issues with your suggested way of making things easy:

Easy mode, at least how you envision it, would lock off large portions of the game. That's a big problem, because without the things you can get from combat, you'll have a hard time progressing in a few areas. There is significant portion of the game that requires drops from monsters. There is also a large portion gated by monsters (as in the monsters guard things you need in order to progress), and just letting folks get that without any danger isn't just easy mode, it's borderline giving it away.

Honestly, I think children can fight pixelated, cartoony skeletons. They already fight pixelated, cartoony characters in plenty of other video games. As long as they're not engaging in war with other humanoid folk and are killing primarily slimes, bats, shadows, and the rest of the monsters in SDV, I think they'll be okay.

Second, my issues with your suggested way of making things hard:

This is the one way that folks have suggested making the game harder that I 100% object to. Let's begin at the beginning, Spring 1 Year 1. You have no food. You have practically no money. You have practically no energy with which to do anything... and to make things harder, you're going to overload all of these intertwined issues at once? People have made this suggestion a few times, and I've never liked it. There are other ways to increase the game difficulty, and this is the one I would never want. Make monsters hit harder and have better defense/hp? Sure. Make things more expensive to buy, less expensive when selling? Okay. More requirements for the CC bundles? I could do that. . . Make you run out of energy even faster from day 1? Hell no.

1FlyCat

Planter
You have no food. You have practically no money. You have practically no energy with which to do anything
You make a valid point, imnvs. Which is why there could be a setting to enable/disable hard mode, to allow people the option.

In hard mode the player could start with enough money to buy food at the saloon until they can get on their feet.

AtomsJosh

Planter
Yeah I think 79% percent of people in here will disagree, but consider this, when you start playing SDV do you really know how it works? Did SDV change its Gameplay Mechanics for you? Or you did some research so you change the way you play the game? In my experience when I first play the game I'm 100% no idea what's going on, fun fact I spent all my money for one plant and it die because the season change, I think thats the way I will play, but no, so I did some research, I change the way of my playing to win, SDV don't change for me, I change the way I play for SDV. There is a way, There is a way Always. SDV is not gonna change for you (its not gonna change to make your gameplay easy for you), you have to change to win.

Everything I suggest is just optional more likely as example, it doesn't have to be like that, ofcourse some players need mob loot, so its just need a lot thinking.

littlecats

Farmhand
Easy mode: more inventory space, more powerful swords, and defense gear found earlier in the mines. Fishing difficuilty slightly lowered.

Normal same as now.

Hard Need more prismic shards to make galaxy sword, and more ores, etc to craft things. Fishing difficulty slightly increased.

Or something as simple as increasing skill gains for easy mode and decreasing skill gains for hard mode. But we do need more inventory space.

I play 2 farm sim games, pumpkin days for pure fun but no challenge and stardew valley for challenge but more frustrating than fun to play. If those 2 games were compined into 1 game, it would be the perfect game.

(You don't want to make bullet sponges for hard mode, it just frustrates people.)

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
AtomsJosh, don't pretend you know what everyone else is thinking. Similarly, don't pretend I'm the one asking the game to be easier for me (I don't need it, I assure you, and if you doubt me, go take a look at my farm in the showcase). You're the one asking for a change.

And to remind you, as I said in my first line of my earlier reply, I'm all for an easy and/or hard mode. I just think this is the wrong way to make a hard mode.

Last edited:

AtomsJosh

Planter
Ok, just like I said too this suggestion are just like example they are optional they don't need to be like that, it's just example. And for your information, my friend suggest that to me, she said it to me cuz she knows I am in here and she want this to suggest to developer, and as a friend I am 100% supporting to her suggestion.

P.S. if you have a good suggestion just tell it here, cuz you sound like Angry, imnvs

Edit: My keyboard is broke, and my English is not good, but try to understand it

Akemisora

Planter
Disabling one aspect of core gameplay is a bad idea. The game itself already shows us that there are 5 aspect of the game: Farming, Foraging, Fishing, Mining, and Combat. Some of players complain about Fishing and Combat, so those difficulties can be lowered in "easy" mode (e.g. player has more health, enemies move slower, fish are less aggressive, etc.)

I think, to be "hard", the game should encourage the player to do more, not crippling their ability that makes they do less. Energy is very important in early games, and make it depleting over time... It cripples their performance. Imnvs has good solutions to make the game "harder" if you want.

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay, AtomsJosh, I'll say this one more time...

I support the basic idea. I've said it in every comment I've made to this thread. You, on the other hand, because I pointed out some problems, as I see them, went on to attack me for, as you suggest, not wanting to adapt or learn or for the game to be easier. (Ironic, as you're the one suggesting an easy mode.)

Why are you not addressing the concerns I've brought up? How do you propose that things necessary for advancement and that can only be acquired through combat be acquired when there is no combat? How do you defend the fact that energy is a resource in SERIOUSLY short supply early game and you think the only way to make it harder is to strain that resource?

And you're asking for suggestions instead of getting angry, and you point your finger at me? You're attacking me, not discussing your idea. To make matters worse, I did have suggestions on how to improve the idea. I suggested making the monsters hit harder. I suggested giving the monsters more hp. Then littlecats added the suggestion of needing more resources for things. See, you're getting suggestions. You're just not acknowledging them.

AtomsJosh

Planter
Ok, you know what, you really have a better idea imnv, so how about we just collect those idea to make things better? I see your point now. I understand. Sorry 😅

imnvs

Local Legend
Thank you. I really am trying to help here.

So... so far, the collected ideas on different ways to do an easy mode and hard mode, some from here, some from other threads and at least 1 new one:

Easy Mode:
- Decrease monster health
- Decrease monster damage
- Increase player health
- Slow down the clock (reducing time crunch)

Hard Mode:
- Increase monster health
- Increase monster damage
- Reduce/eliminate "invincible" time after being hit
- Reduce effectiveness of food on healing/energy recovery
- Increase resources needed for crafting/purchase
- Decrease profit margin (already available as it's own option)

Now, doing all of these may be a bit much for either Easy or Hard, but these are ways that could decrease/increase the difficulty without requiring too much reworking of the game.

AtomsJosh

Planter
That's awesome, I hope the developer see this and make a beta version, and I hope you and I are ready to be the first who test this version. (I'm playing on mobile so my hope is just like a dream, impossible to achieve) but for now I'm waiting for the 1.5 update

imnvs

Local Legend
To be honest, I haven't heard anything about how CA goes about with beta testing. I'd be interested to be part of any beta testing for future versions/updates.

Ereo

Helper
Thank you. I really am trying to help here.

So... so far, the collected ideas on different ways to do an easy mode and hard mode, some from here, some from other threads and at least 1 new one:

Easy Mode:
- Increase player health

Hard Mode:

Now, doing all of these may be a bit much for either Easy or Hard, but these are ways that could decrease/increase the difficulty without requiring too much reworking of the game.
Most of those affect combat, so maybe something to make other aspects of the game easier/harder would be needed to balance it?

Possibly:

Easy:
- more energy in the beginning(or less energy used per hit)
- faster crops
- easy fishing (fish move less)
- more frequent appearance of forage
- need less xp for next level

And the opposite for harder mode.

imnvs

Local Legend
[ a lot of stuff I'll be reposting below ]
All good additions, I think.

So, bigger list of possible ways to implement an easy and a hard mode:

Easy Mode:
- Increase player health
- Increase beginning energy
- Decrease energy from tool use
- Faster crop growth
- Reduce fishing difficulty
-- Slow down fish motion
-- Increase size of fishing bar
- Increase forage frequency
- Reduce XP needed for skill levels

Hard Mode:
- Reduce beginning energy
- Increase energy from tool use
- Increase fishing difficulty
-- Speed up fish motion
-- Reduce size of fishing bar
- Reduce forage frequency
-Increase XP needed for skill levels