Yam: Real yam or sweet potato?

Rebuild6743

Newcomer
Hi, guys. I have a question about the yam in the game. As the title says, not sure whether it is real yam or sweet potato. (When I said real yam, I am talking about "the large tuberous starchy root eaten as a staple food" as in the yam Wikipedia page.)

I have read some articles (like this one) saying that most vegetables labeled yams in US are actually sweet potatoes. So when Americans use the words yam, they are usually referring sweet potato. If it's true, then the yam in the game (which looks more sweet potato to me) is most likely sweet potato since Eric is American. That's what I tend to believe at this moment. But I am not American so I am not quite sure about this.

Hopefully somebody can clarify this for me and thanks in advance for any help.

Liaaaam

Newcomer
From my EXTREMELY limited knowledge of the topic, as an American, I've always bought sweet potatoes labeled sweet potatoes. They are orange on the inside and don't taste like white potatoes. I don't eat yam often, but I am used to it being white on the inside and looking like a really big potato. I agree, especially after looking up yam images, that the SV yam looks much more like a sweet potatoe.

smellincoffee

Sodbuster
American here and I always thought they were two names for the same thing, with "yam" referring to the vegetable and 'sweet potato" to the vegetable once it had been processed into candied yam, sweet potato fries, etc.

Draconifors

Sodbuster
In my limited experience sweet potatoes are sold as sweet potatoes in American stores.

I've never seen a yam except in photos, so I can't comment which vegetable the game yam resembles more.