Wishing you could talk back.

Dr. eeL

Farmer
Do you ever find yourself wishing that you could talk back when asked a question or receive a comment by one of the valley characters?
Me - I see Willy fishing on the dock, and move next to him. I take out a piece of bait and forget to put it on the pole before asking him a question.
Willy - (with a sad look on his face) "I guess I'll just throw it into the chum bucket."
Me - (Oops, I didn't want to do that. What I wish I could say . . . "Willy, I was just joking. That wasn't a gift meant for you. It's a hot day and you've been fishing for a while. Here, have one of my cold pale ale's."
Any players have some moments when they wished they could talk back to the characters?

Ereo

Helper
Definitely!

Maru sometimes asks to tell her a story about farming and then she says it's interesting or funny, but I don't know what story I've told her...

When you first meet Abby, she tells you she used to come to the farm to explore the wilderness and I would like to tell her she can still come. It's gonna be wilderness for a while!

I would like to tell Linus he can hang out on my farm instead of the spa if he's cold in winter. I'm sure he would enjoy the pigs or the chickens, and a barn is always warm.

I could probably come up with more. I like the dialogue questions the marriage candidates have and I wish there were more.

MissDandy

Farmer
This would be so great, especially with spouses. Sometimes I just really want to tell my spouse how much I appreciate them. And sometimes, like @Ereo said, you want to be able to legitimately respond to the villagers when they ask you a question. Sometimes the stock messages can't fully explain your thoughts. I think it would be a great way to better get to know the townspeople, and for them to get to know you.

I certainly understand some of the limitations with the conversations that CA most likely faced. With that being said, I would be happy with some "starter" conversations that lead into the NPC responses. Some of what everyone has said here would be great. Using @Dr. eeL's example:

Me - I see Willy fishing on the dock, and move next to him. I take out a piece of bait and forget to put it on the pole before asking him a question.
Willy - (with a sad look on his face) "I guess I'll just throw it into the chum bucket."
Me - (Oops, I didn't want to do that) "It's a hot day......"
Willy - (smiles wearily) "Yes it is <farmer name>"
Me - "Would you like a cold drink?"
Willy - "Sure!"

Then you go into your inventory and give him one if you have it, otherwise the conversation is over.

Using @Ereo's example here:

Maru - "Tell me a story about farming ."
Me - "Well there was one time...."
Maru - (Surprised look) "What happened then?"

At this point, the game could search for an instance on your farm and give you options to respond, but keep them short such as

1. "Well there was a lightning storm and...."
2. "I was clearing out the farm one day when..."
3. "I think fairies visited me once"

The possibilities could be expanded from there, but these are just my thoughts alone. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Ereo

Helper
Yes, more stock messages would be nice already. I don't think free text is feasible ;)

Telling Maru about special events would work, or even 'last week I collected X eggs' or 'I harvested blueberries yesterday' 'My pumpkins are doing great'

For the Willy situation, a general 'I'm sorry, I didn't mean to give you that' response if you gave someone a hated gift would be cool. Maybe it could even lower the lost friendship points if you apologized.

Telling Maru about special events would work, or even 'last week I collected X eggs' or 'I harvested blueberries yesterday' 'My pumpkins are doing great'

For the Willy situation, a general 'I'm sorry, I didn't mean to give you that' response if you gave someone a hated gift would be cool. Maybe it could even lower the lost friendship points if you apologized.
I agree with both of these points. This would be great in a future update.

PookieDoodle

Rancher
I'd like to be able to talk back sometimes just so I don't come off as rude. You know, an NPC says something meaningful to you and you can't respond, so you just walk away. They turn to the left and then to the right in disbelief of your rudeness. lol But oddly enough, if I could chat with anyone/anything in the game I'd want to talk to the animals. Tell my horse she's a good girl, and tell the fish 'they're welcome' when they get so excited because I've thrown in a rock they requested. :cool:

benjellyman

Planter
"What is this? It's awful!" Me:"Sorry George I didn't mean to talk to you wile holding quartz."i actually learned George hates quartz the hard way

Last edited:

Dr. eeL

Farmer
Me - walking up to my cat and wishing to say, "How's my furry friend today?"
Cat says, "Meow."
Me - going to my kid, in the morning and wishing to say, "Hi little buddy."
Kid says, nothing but unnatural silence.
Children are too quiet in this game, very much the opposite of real life.

Last edited: