1.6 Update Will i need to start a new game to see 1.6 content ?

Bigweb52

Tiller
getting a new console tomorrow and im excited to head back to my farm . I know 1.6 isn't out on consoles yet , but when it does launch will the content be added to my current saved game or will i need to start fresh ? Basically for those who are playing it on PC , did you need to start a new game when 1.6 launched or did it just adapt to your current save ? Also sorry for the spelling and grammer errors , im thping this on my phone lol .

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hello Bigweb52 and Welcome to the Forums! You don't need to start a new save however it was fun to see where the new stuff slowly makes itself evident as you play from the beginning. v1.6 isn't any single big addition, rather the addition of numerous small things that enhance gameplay. Like all the Stardew you're familiar with, but more! I think if I was in Year 3 or so in a save, I'd start again but if you're still in Year 2 or 1, just keep playing the same farm in v1.6 for your first v1.6 playthrough.

stardew_luv

Planter
No you do not need to start a new save. You can use your old save and will be able to access the end game items much faster with a well played save. The only reason you would need a new save is if you have a special attachment to trying the new meadowland farm. It’s pretty but not a game changer in my mind. You can always start it later after you play your current save to the point you wish. You can always explore two saves at once too. ☺

Bigweb52

Tiller
No you do not need to start a new save. You can use your old save and will be able to access the end game items much faster with a well played save. The only reason you would need a new save is if you have a special attachment to trying the new meadowland farm. It’s pretty but not a game changer in my mind. You can always start it later after you play your current save to the point you wish. You can always explore two saves at once too. ☺
Thank you my friend !

Bigweb52

Tiller
Hello Bigweb52 and Welcome to the Forums! You don't need to start a new save however it was fun to see where the new stuff slowly makes itself evident as you play from the beginning. v1.6 isn't any single big addition, rather the addition of numerous small things that enhance gameplay. Like all the Stardew you're familiar with, but more! I think if I was in Year 3 or so in a save, I'd start again but if you're still in Year 2 or 1, just keep playing the same farm in v1.6 for your first v1.6 playthrough.
Thank you my friend

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
As others have said, you don't need to start a new save but you may benefit from seeing things at the point in the game they're intended to be found and played with.

I personally like to load new updates on my main save/s, explore all the content and everything new, then start up a new save from the get go (and with a new farm whenever the update has added one). I enjoy not missing out seeing the stuff for myself and then I can also help out others with it while enjoying a more relaxed save file after that initial rush to see everything.