Why the attraction to Shane?

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
He has a very good story arc leading up to 8 hearts which people seem to admire as he takes on and accepts a lot of responsibilities that he wasn’t and ditches bad habits as well as accounting for what he’s done. Personally I don’t think he’s the best spouse as he seems to regress a tad bit but he’s definitely a really well developed npc.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Shane seems to be a popular pick. Is it the "I can fix him" mentality? Or people relate to him? Just curious what people like about him. =)
I think you're pretty much on it. What I've heard (and remember!):

Relate
Fix
Character arc
Chikkinz!
Older than 20
"Real" problems

At one point I read that someone romanced Shane out of spite because he's such a _______ at first. Now that I can relate to. When I first met him and got a few interactions to see where this was headed I was like, "Oh I'm on to you boy you ain't foolin' me one bit. I see right through you! And you will NOT escape me as I'm a damn Shane octopus. You've been captured!"

Last edited:
I relate to him quite a bit due to his depressive nature and tendency to push others away; he also reminds me a LOT of my real life husband. I love his story arc in the game and absolutely melted the first time I saw his
blue chickens
cut scene. I think it's so sweet that your farmer inspires him to turn his life around and to see that there's still good in the world, despite the myriad of terrible things. Having said all that, I have never married Shane in the game, but if Elliot didn't exist I would, because as stated above, the selection of "older bachelors" is slim and Harvey is too dull for my taste.

PeachTeaGoat

Greenhorn
Shane seems to be a popular pick. Is it the "I can fix him" mentality? Or people relate to him? Just curious what people like about him. =)
Tbh I generally just like trying to marry a different bachelor or bachelorette (I'm pan:) ) in each of my play throughs... oh and also blue chickens :wchicken::shane:

For me, marrying Shane was definitely a result of that “I can fix him” mentality you mentioned. Of course, he’s just a character in a video game so… I did not in fact fix him.

MattRat13

Newcomer
I haven't married him currently, but I definitely will in my next playthrough after I stumbled across his anti-joja song.