1.6 Update who can help me with that decision: should i update or not? i'm afraid of losing a lot of stuff (npc paths)

i'm a little bit tired of ignoring what has to be done. how worse can it be, and what i'm about to lose? especially if it's about npc paths. or is there anything else i have to consider? i would like to hear some opinion or advice what to do before updating it...and have a nice weekend!

Can you elaborate what exactly you mean? iirc the update makes it even harder for npcs to destroy items, or is npc paths a mod name? *sob*
nah i'm not sure because it's so hard to compare the npc paths maps from 1.5 to 1.6: did they change their paths? do they avoid tiles/floors? (i remember reading that somewhere) what does that mean "even harder to destroy?" do they change their way or what will happen if some objects block them? i'm talking about narrow spaces where they can't change their path like
this:

ThorBjoern_7-7-2024_74350308.png

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
someone else can probably answer with more confidence, but from what i remember, they don't really change their pathing. i'm unsure if they avoid floors or not, i feel like they don't but i could be wrong. they do go out of their way to avoid objects if placed in their path and they will bump them out of the way rather than outright destroy them

someone else can probably answer with more confidence, but from what i remember, they don't really change their pathing. i'm unsure if they avoid floors or not, i feel like they don't but i could be wrong. they do go out of their way to avoid objects if placed in their path and they will bump them out of the way rather than outright destroy them
hey ok thanks a lot for ur answer! i really appreciate it! i asked some other farmers and in the end i'll try to combine all the info to get to my goal. have a wonderful weekend

stardew_luv

Planter
Our local “ape” (Filthy Gorilla) is go to for this info. Personally it’s great the first few play through or so, but not so great it takes away from the imho ultimate update 1.5. After you see all of the new items, then you’ve seen them. Like a green rain summer day anymore I’m just like whatever and do what I intended to do that day before I knew it would be green rain. There are some excellent late game additions to tools and weapons, but if you are already decent at farming, fishing, combat (which knowing you I’m sure you’re fine) I doubt they’d be a game changer for you. Since your most valuable farm is like what 40 years and counting why don’t you start a new playthrough with 1.6 when you get it and if it’s not a game changer then you have not ruined your valuable 1.5 save file. I

LRangerR

Local Legend
i'm a little bit tired of ignoring what has to be done. how worse can it be, and what i'm about to lose? especially if it's about npc paths. or is there anything else i have to consider? i would like to hear some opinion or advice what to do before updating it...and have a nice weekend!
Idk but imo stow anything critical and pick up the mess when you've updated after maybe a year or so.

Does anybody know if when you time skip a day the NPCs will path like normal through your stuff, or do they have to be active all day?

Our local “ape” (Filthy Gorilla) is go to for this info. Personally it’s great the first few play through or so, but not so great it takes away from the imho ultimate update 1.5. After you see all of the new items, then you’ve seen them. Like a green rain summer day anymore I’m just like whatever and do what I intended to do that day before I knew it would be green rain. There are some excellent late game additions to tools and weapons, but if you are already decent at farming, fishing, combat (which knowing you I’m sure you’re fine) I doubt they’d be a game changer for you. Since your most valuable farm is like what 40 years and counting why don’t you start a new playthrough with 1.6 when you get it and if it’s not a game changer then you have not ruined your valuable 1.5 save file. I
Ahem, sir. Our resident ape is definitely concerned, regarding this post

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
You could always test for a couple days to see, I don't think anything is changed though, and the weird bug with npcs thinking paths were something to avoid has been patched too.

Before that though, wait like 5 days, I am ACTUALLY going to release the video on the new placement FINALLY, and it will be a lot easier to move your stuff around in 1.5 rather than 1.6.

No matter what you do, make sure to make a backup in case anything corrupts or happens that you don't want to happen. I always have a usb stick I keep backup saves on just in case steam acts up or I make a mistake.

You could always test for a couple days to see, I don't think anything is changed though, and the weird bug with npcs thinking paths were something to avoid has been patched too.

Before that though, wait like 5 days, I am ACTUALLY going to release the video on the new placement FINALLY, and it will be a lot easier to move your stuff around in 1.5 rather than 1.6.

No matter what you do, make sure to make a backup in case anything corrupts or happens that you don't want to happen. I always have a usb stick I keep backup saves on just in case steam acts up or I make a mistake.
ok thank you my friend, i'll wait for at least 5 days! or how long it takes. and i'll make a backup. i don't know what's goin to happen because i'm using steam cloud, does the cloud takes the file from my pc? i'll have to figure that out too before i'll do it. anyways thanks a lot, hope you had a nice holiday!

Idk but imo stow anything critical and pick up the mess when you've updated after maybe a year or so.

Does anybody know if when you time skip a day the NPCs will path like normal through your stuff, or do they have to be active all day?

Ahem, sir. Our resident ape is definitely concerned, regarding this post
ok thank you! that was one idea i had too, but if you know my farm that's gonna take forever :-)

Lew Zealand

Helper
As far as I've experienced, the Villager needs to be active at the time of destruction for you to lose your stuff to their pathing. So if you need to skip the odd month or 2 in bed to recover from that fall from Harvey's balloon, you shouldn't have to deal with Pam mowing down the precious Kegs you decorated the Bus stop path with as 9:30am never rolled around as far as the game code is concerned.

As far as I've experienced, the Villager needs to be active at the time of destruction for you to lose your stuff to their pathing. So if you need to skip the odd month or 2 in bed to recover from that fall from Harvey's balloon, you shouldn't have to deal with Pam mowing down the precious Kegs you decorated the Bus stop path with as 9:30am never rolled around as far as the game code is concerned.
ok thanks for helping...and for example: if somethings in their path and they go through it and the item "lays" there, disappears it at the next day? or can i pick it up whenever i want to?

Lew Zealand

Helper
ok thanks for helping...and for example: if somethings in their path and they go through it and the item "lays" there, disappears it at the next day? or can i pick it up whenever i want to?
Dropped items (whether voluntarily or involuntarily) do not despawn immediately as I forget things (shocker!) and walk by them the next day and they go right back into my cluttered inventory. I read online that those items are culled when you exit your gameplay but I have not tested that, however it makes a lot of sense and fits with my experiences with dropped items.

One thing I'd really like to test is to make sure that dropped items on a map you don't visit still get dropped properly. I think it works that way as I've had Pathing hit by lightning and I've found it when I get back to my Farm but I can't be SURE the game doesn't update that Pathing drop at the instant I return to the Farm Map, or whether that update occurs earlier, at the time of the lightning strike.

Dropped items (whether voluntarily or involuntarily) do not despawn immediately as I forget things (shocker!) and walk by them the next day and they go right back into my cluttered inventory. I read online that those items are culled when you exit your gameplay but I have not tested that, however it makes a lot of sense and fits with my experiences with dropped items.

One thing I'd really like to test is to make sure that dropped items on a map you don't visit still get dropped properly. I think it works that way as I've had Pathing hit by lightning and I've found it when I get back to my Farm but I can't be SURE the game doesn't update that Pathing drop at the instant I return to the Farm Map, or whether that update occurs earlier, at the time of the lightning strike.
yes that's what i intended, that if there are dropped items on parts of the map i don't notice and visit maybe 2 or 3 days later if they're still there. with the train (if i remember correctly) dropped items are gone the next day. anyways thanks a lot to you and anyone else who takes the time to answer my questions. i hope it's not too annoying 😆 . should get my **** together and stop chicken around

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
ok thank you my friend, i'll wait for at least 5 days! or how long it takes. and i'll make a backup. i don't know what's goin to happen because i'm using steam cloud, does the cloud takes the file from my pc? i'll have to figure that out too before i'll do it. anyways thanks a lot, hope you had a nice holiday!
You should be fine with steam cloud, but I have heard cases where people's steam cloud gets wiped so I always keep a backup that's not on my computer. Since stardew files are rather small, a 5 euro/dollar usb drive that's a couple gigabytes should do the trick

You should be fine with steam cloud, but I have heard cases where people's steam cloud gets wiped so I always keep a backup that's not on my computer. Since stardew files are rather small, a 5 euro/dollar usb drive that's a couple gigabytes should do the trick
ok thanx, yes i have made some copys from my save files over years from different points!