When do you build your coop/barn by?

Benhimself

Rancher
I always get distracted by other things: Tool upgrades! A stables! A bigger house! And then winter rolls around and I find myself lamenting not having the animal products and artisan goods necessary to have already had that precious, precious greenhouse.

Assuming you're going for a casual but reasonably efficient community center playthrough, when do you try to have the coop and barn made by? And at what point do you upgrade them? If you're willing to go into it, what are your priorities for other early game infrastructure/quality-of-life purchases as well like the aforementioned house, stables, tool and backpack upgrades, desert bus, etc?

Last edited:

Grimzy

Planter
I go for the backpack pretty early on mostly because I like to hoard stuff as I go lol. Then my second priority is the community center/bus because I go to the desert alot. I usually fork over all my funds to buy as many crops as possible to make money too. XD idk I'm kind of all over the place hehe.

Cptldsilver

Planter
I think in general terms the best time to start getting your coop/barn upgrades for a relaxed but efficient CC playthrough is around the 10th of summer. For the animal bundle you will need to see Robin 4 times (Coop, Barn, Coop/Barn upgrade 1, Coop/Barn upgrade 2). Each building requires 3 days to build so you need to start somewhat early so that you can get your animals early and start building your friendship points with them. All other bundles for the greenhouse you can finish around 10-14th of fall (pumpkins). If you want to get the community center done in year 1 you will need to also get the barn upgraded to max and buy a pig with enough to time for the pig to mature before winter.

Septima

Farmhand
is around the 10th of summer
Yes, this is generally my coop build date. I go mining extremely early (maybe too early) and get a bunch of are to upgrade my axe - and then cut down a bunch of trees and clear out my farm, as well as fish and farm, in order to get enough money/wood to buy the coop early on. I'm rather partial to the animal aspect of the game, actually.

Aine

Planter
Usually before the dance festival I have a coop, and one chicken in there. The barn I wait a little more, cause I want to, when winter comes, have money to get at least one pig, so it will grow and have some hearts when spring comes, so it will find more truffles.

tommybob

Planter
Depends if I am in multi or not. Multiplayer is what I play most with my SO, she loves the animal side of things so she gets them pretty early. I prefer the crops personally so they aren't a big rush for me.

Potatoes

Farmer
I usually try and build a coop around winter time the 1st year and maybe towards the end of spring beginning of summer I try and get a barn built. Usually I try not to put a rush on it though.

StardewWizard

Sodbuster
I usually aim for a coop and barn in the very beginning. Then i go for tool upgrades, stables, and such. Even if not for the community center, the steady profit is very nice.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I usually go for the coop/barn in the summer or fall, and tragically i often get the maxed out barn in winter.

my last save i'm going pretty slow with the animals though, trying to put my attention towards other styles

Anhaga

Rancher
I usually aim for a coop and barn in the very beginning. Then i go for tool upgrades, stables, and such. Even if not for the community center, the steady profit is very nice.
This is what I do. Ever since I discovered that mayonnaise was an easy money-maker, I go for a coop ASAP. The mayonnaise machine recipe is available at Level 2 farming, so getting a couple of chickens and making mayo can be a big help on the money end of things (which lets me upgrade my tools quicker).

Tom

Farmer
I think in general terms the best time to start getting your coop/barn upgrades for a relaxed but efficient CC playthrough is around the 10th of summer.
Barn/Coop
Yeah. Building Coop, Barn, and Big Barn starting then (mid-Summer) and Big Coop a little later to fill with animals later is the relaxed efficient approach to get a Greenhouse before Winter comes (maybe Fall 10-14).

Animals
  • Cow, Goat, and Brown/White Chickens around Summer 27 to get you on track for Large products.
  • Duck around Fall 6 since you don't need a Large Duck Egg.
Then close your animals in at night (not important; just for your own convenience) and let them out in the morning to graze happily after you pet them.

Oak Tappers
It's really nice to be able to have a Greenhouse on Fall 14th so you have hundreds of thousands of gold on hand by end of year. Of course you also need lots of Kegs to do that, which requires planning for tappers on Oak trees from Spring 1. A dozen Oak tappers around Spring 19 is good enough assuming you'll add a few more each week.

Wood->Axe
Drop off your axe for a copper upgrade on Vincent's BD Spring 10 to upgrade while you mine. This is important for Tappers and Kegs.

Ore->Pickaxe
Drop off your pick for a copper upgrade on Spring 12 to upgrade during Egg Festival. This is important for Tappers and Kegs.

Museum/Mining->Backpack
Don't rush dive The Mines. Get the ore and the goodies on the way. Floor 80 around Spring 26 is fine. This means Floor 30 Spring 10-ish and Floor 50 Spring 16-ish.
1) This gives you days to fish for gold and treasures.
2) Upgrade your backpack to make room for the goodies in The Mines as soon as you have the gold. No hard date.

Fish for Gold
Fish 'til you drop Spring 2-4 at Fish Shop with Training Rod for Perfects (experience, not gold!) then Fiberglass Rod for speed to level up your fishing to 5 or near it the night of Spring 4.

Crops
Spring 1: Limit to 15
Spring 6: Limit to 40-60
Spring 13+: Limit to 80-120
Summer 1: 96 to 128 crops including 60 to 80 Hops (5/8 hops).
Capture.PNG

If you use the lower numbers, Kegs won't unlock until around Summer 20, which is okay for relaxed play. You still can get 200kgp per month from there on with Pale Ale.

Farm Cave
The Fruit Bats are really handy to get a Greenhouse. They will likely give you 2-3 tree fruits for the Artisan bundle by Fall 14. You also don't have to check them often, which is relaxed.

Gifting
Don't sweat gifting and Help Wanted Quests except birthdays until after the Luau.

Travel
It's easy to repair the Minecarts in the last week of Spring. This makes travel a lot easier. The horse is fun, but a bit of a hassle. I haven't tried coffee.

Last edited:

Peggy77

Sodbuster
I can almost always get all the animal products from the traveling cart, so put off buying either the coop or the barn until sometime in my third year. Then I only keep the animals long enough to stock up on milk, mayo and eggs for cooking.

Once I have plenty of those in my fridge I sell off my animals. I can't stand dealing with them. I love the crops, the fish ponds, mining and fishing but really don't like the animals.

Reactions: Tom

Dahalbiraj

Newcomer
I once got lucky and got everything I needed to complete the community center in like summer 18 (got pumpkin seeds from the traveling merchant along with the other fall seeds)