What is your favourite crop qnd why

HaleyRocks

Farmer
Real life wise, or in-game wise?

1) Real Life: Melon. I love the stuff, particularly a local variety, which makes melons like a rugby ball with stripes. Its interior, instead of green, is orange. It has a very fragrant, sweet aroma and its taste, is to die for!

Close second and tied together, is Cauliflower and Brocolli. I love the stuff, are very rich in nutrients, taste perfectly when carefully prepared (steamed or slowly boiled) and are considered "superfoods". Especially a Brocolli variety, which looks like it is shaped in numerous, pointy "star" like patterns!

2) In game only: Ancient Fruit

Berries! I like to grow a variety of crops, but I always grow a lot of them. I like the little bonus berries that pop out as you harvest a big field of them. I like the colors of them. I like that I dot have to replant them. I usually frame my smaller plots of berries with trellis plants too because I think they're pretty.

Lew Zealand

Helper
There are favorite crops to grow for g which is an endless discussion, but if you're looking for favorite crops to grow because of the crop itself, I think it might be
Blueberry because:

reharvestable
soooo many drops and pops
I like the color Blue more than Cran

However closely tied for second place are both
Tomato and
Eggplant as they're both reharvestable and make
Eggplant Parmesan with no extra ingredients needing some kind of processing (Flour, Cheese, etc.). Every 5 days you get another Eggplant Parm, what's not to like?

LRangerR

Local Legend
Wheat, because it's used in so many recipes and is super easy to harvest, and also it yields hay for your animals. And I gotta feed my bunnies.

Also tomatoes for the same reason that they're used in a lot of dishes.

And oddly enough I like kale. Its super easy to harvest, and sells for a respectable amount of g

BeBop268170

Sodbuster
The only crop I grow is coffee. To drink.

Unless you count fruit trees, which I'm growing just for the various qualities of saplings that will be unlocked on Nov. 4th.

If I ever need money though, I'll be smothering Ginger Island with Starfruit for wine. I don't really understand what advantage Ancient Fruit has. Starfruit wine is more profitable by a margin provided you have enough resources to craft Hyper Speed Grow, right? I'm sure it's faster to harvest in real time, but probably not Stardew time, since time barely ticks as you harvest/replant.

So my answer is Coffee :)

Hot peppers. In game Pepper Poppers and Coffee are *the* default food buffs I'm running with. And while you can buy endless coffee, you must grow your own peppers. Plus, they're spicy, which I love in real life. On top of that, as a recurring growth crop they're super low maintenance, and they provide really good XP per tile per day, not the top but quite good.

The only thing that would make them better is if they could be pickled, I would have loved some pickled peppers. Alas, an opportunity lost.

Wolf Haley

Sodbuster
The only crop I grow is coffee. To drink.

Unless you count fruit trees, which I'm growing just for the various qualities of saplings that will be unlocked on Nov. 4th.

If I ever need money though, I'll be smothering Ginger Island with Starfruit for wine. I don't really understand what advantage Ancient Fruit has. Starfruit wine is more profitable by a margin provided you have enough resources to craft Hyper Speed Grow, right? I'm sure it's faster to harvest in real time, but probably not Stardew time, since time barely ticks as you harvest/replant.

So my answer is Coffee :)
although it is more profitable to do starfruit, you have to buy it each time with can be expensive, and ancient fruit never has to be replanted. I think either works, but I use ancient fruit because its less maintenance, but maybe im just lazy

although it is more profitable to do starfruit, you have to buy it each time with can be expensive, and ancient fruit never has to be replanted. I think either works, but I use ancient fruit because its less maintenance, but maybe im just lazy
As a note Ancient Fruit is actually more profitable as well, unless you're using at least Deluxe Speed Gro on the Starfruit. Which is highly doable and it is more profitable at that point but it's yet more of a chore added to using them. They do have another important advantage over Ancient Fruit though, which is that they are Way more efficient at using your Kegs. If you're limited in the number of kegs you have, starfruit soar in profitability over ancient fruit. Late game when you have all the kegs you could ever need I agree I love the lower maintenance of ancient fruit.

I especially enjoy growing loved gifts. Peppers are loved by both Shane & Lewis. Cactus fruit is loved by Sam, Linus, and Pam. Pam also loves parsnips. Strawberries for Demetrius and Maru, Maru also loves cauliflower. The flower ladies- sunflowers for Haley, spangle for Caroline, fairy rose for Jas & Evelyn, Evelyn also loves tulips and beets. Pumpkins for Willy & Abigail. An orange tree for Gus, peach for Robin, pomegranate for Elliot.
Someone mentioned grapes, loved by Vincent, and with a neat trick- you can put foraged summer grapes into the seedmaker to plant in fall! And someone mentioned wheat, which is one of the coolest ways to get hay. You don't even need a silo. And you can still sell or mill the wheat, so it's free! I've made it through many winters keeping wheat growing in my greenhouse. You could even put it in pots in the barn & coop.
I also love mixed seeds and wild seeds. Wild seeds especially, I love when I get botanist and all my wild crops are iridium. Sandy loves the wild flowers, and you gain friendship very quickly with iridium loved gifts. Krobus loves the horseradish. And iridium crystal fruit is my favorite skull cavern food.

Draconifors

Farmer
One of the 1.6 crops.

Carrots! They grow super fast, they provide tons of energy for the growth time, they sell for a lot, and you can feed them to your horse. Also, I love carrots in real life.
The only downside is not being able to buy the seeds (except apparently in the Raccoon shop, but that isn't available right away), but there are several ways to find them.

LRangerR

Local Legend
I almost forgot, and I don't know if most of you would consider this a crop, but Mahogany is one of my favorites. Some day soon I will detail and explain proper forestry practices and viability, but Mahogany farming can cover so many different facets of the game. The most obvious is hardwood, but with the wood chipper you will not need to go harvesting normal trees for wood very often, and then there's of course the charcoal kiln as well. On top of this, each Mahogany seed will sell for 100g each, which you will get from chopping, shaking, or just harvesting off the ground, not to mention how much you can earn if you sell excess amounts of wood/hardwood. And by the nature of tree farming, I prefer to have TONS of grass, so as to not overwhelm myself with the task of managing too many trees at once, which makes ranching various animals a good secondary source of income. Usually coop animals, as they require less maintenance, but I do also keep at least one barn for utility and diversity, even if I don't retrieve their products daily.

Anyways, tree farming is very viable, and even before you get mahogany the other tree's nuts sell for a small sum, I think acorns being the most profitable at 20g a pop

stardew_luv

Farmer
Well I used to do ancient fruit. But it just got so boring. Ancient fruit wine, kegs, ancient fruit wine, endless tall plants to wade through and hard to harvest before 1.6

Since 1.6 I’ve given up ancient fruit and wine making in general just to see what I can accomplish through other methods. Animal crackers make much more now with animals and fish ponds, fish smokers and mastery bait are game changers for fishing. Collecting loads of mushrooms and extra fruits from lots of planted fruit trees for drying/dehydrating. Most forage can now be pickled, dehydrated or jellied. Maybe not as quick as ancient fruit, but way less boring, more creative and just plain more fun.