What is your experience with the Stardew Valley's game world?

bqch

Greenhorn
The question is above. I'm researching about how game's environment create immersions and Stardew Valley has one of the most immersive environment imo. I would love to know what is the community opinion of it. Here are a few things that could help:
-First impressions of the world
-Your opinion of the changing season
-Do you think the art style help with the immersion?

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
My first impressions were of a game that has a set layout and still seems infinite somehow, it’s like the boundaries aren’t really there to stop you but guide to to where you need to be.

Changing seasons helps the immersion though the immediate switch took a bit to get used to initially, now after thousands of hours it just feels natural and honestly if you have a big snow day like where I live sometimes does, the world does just become fully white.

The art style absolutely helps, it wouldn’t be stardew without it, something that many overlook is the music too, playing with music is an absolutely amazing experience, the music blends with the seasons and settings like no other game.

bqch

Greenhorn
Thanks for your respond, I might have to look into how graphic immersion work with sound immersion. Also your first impression also opened my eyes a lot since I never really noticed that before but it is very true since I never felt constrained by the environment while playing

Jayamos

Farmer
Seconding the music. Also the randomness, not just the stuff you can get but also the ambiance, like the way frogs will sometimes pop up or you’ll get random drifts of leaves in fall or flower petals in spring. The map stays the same (so familiar) but things on it change to an extent (so different).
The changing seasons and weather have a similar effect, but temporal rather than spatial.
First impressions… the world felt complex enough to be interesting, simple enough to be manageable, and it kind of leads you to possibilities without forcing you into anything. One of the things I love most is that you can enjoy the game immediately without having to be good at it or know anything about it, but the more you know the more possibilities emerge so it stays interesting.

chaskuchar

Sodbuster

i am probably a new player. i started this game because my fingers weren't fast enough to play zelda monsters. left hand is numb from a military injury. anyway, it is a world i can play ok except for fishing. haven't figured that out yet.

second, i love the changing serasons and years.

third, the art is good. i don't know what immerrsion is though.

bqch

Greenhorn

i am probably a new player. i started this game because my fingers weren't fast enough to play zelda monsters. left hand is numb from a military injury. anyway, it is a world i can play ok except for fishing. haven't figured that out yet.

second, i love the changing serasons and years.

third, the art is good. i don't know what immerrsion is though.
Immersion is when you feel like you are in the world but in reality you're not.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
When I first started playing video games, they mostly had very simple 2D pixel art, generally much rougher than what you get in Stardew Valley. So this art style has a lot of nostalgia for me; it's how I connected to visual storytelling as a teenager, and it's comforting and familiar. Seeing hyper-realistic fancy 3D models on the screen will actually break immersion for me, because I'll feel obligated to admire the complex graphics engine required to make it all work.

The world is a little simplified, which I find relaxing; reality is very complicated and therefore stressful to deal with. My literal first impression? "Wow, that really looks like the original Harvest Moon. Cool."

The season change is a necessary part of the game. Not sure I have much of an opinion about it. Okay, you know what I do think? Is it REALLY necessary to un-till ALL the plots in the soil at EVERY season transition? Really, ALL of them?!

Anyway, sorry I answered your questions out of order. Hope I don't skew your data too much!

chaskuchar

Sodbuster
i figured out how to not till summer into fall by planting everything to wheat or corn. i havve the wheat ready to harvest on fday 28. then harvest it on day one of fall and plant pumpkins then. and you fddon'y haver to fertilize it again. (left hand gives me a pain...)

bqch

Greenhorn
When I first started playing video games, they mostly had very simple 2D pixel art, generally much rougher than what you get in Stardew Valley. So this art style has a lot of nostalgia for me; it's how I connected to visual storytelling as a teenager, and it's comforting and familiar. Seeing hyper-realistic fancy 3D models on the screen will actually break immersion for me, because I'll feel obligated to admire the complex graphics engine required to make it all work.

The world is a little simplified, which I find relaxing; reality is very complicated and therefore stressful to deal with. My literal first impression? "Wow, that really looks like the original Harvest Moon. Cool."

The season change is a necessary part of the game. Not sure I have much of an opinion about it. Okay, you know what I do think? Is it REALLY necessary to un-till ALL the plots in the soil at EVERY season transition? Really, ALL of them?!

Anyway, sorry I answered your questions out of order. Hope I don't skew your data too much!
No worries, I do agree it is a pain to till everything after a season.

Lew Zealand

Helper
First impression could be that you do have some restrictions to movement but a lot of those are time, and to a lesser extent energy related. Not really the world size or shape. The game is well designed to nudge you into doing the sequence of quests which require some planning and exploring, and doesn't throw you into doing 10 things immediately. The first 3 days are perfect for this:

Day 1: Clear some land and plant 15 Parsnips. You will likely run out of Energy depending on how much you clear and/or you chop Trees for a Chest. Maybe plant any Mixed Seeds you find. If you have extra time, find some people in Town as that social quest is immediately active.
Day 2: You do not need to do anything on your Farm except Water. So what to do...? Ah, you get the note to see Willy about the Fishing Rod. Perfect experience and immersion expansion.
Day 3: You do not need to do anything at all on your Farm as it always rains. And now you have a bunch of options: Fish for money, clear more Farmland for Farming, and/or talk with everyone you can find. *And* Pierre is closed so you can't overextend yourself buying and planting Seeds with any money you made yesterday from Fishing.
Day 4: Your first completely unrestricted/unplanned day and many Farmers have at least a modest idea what to do by them. Also some forget they need to water their Crops but that would never be me...

The world, while somewhat small, rarely if ever feels too small and before getting some of the timesavers like Carts, Horse, Totems, as the time taken to get to places really makes it seem like the cozy feel of the town fits well.

The Seasons work very well as sometimes they seem too short and other times too long, but they are great for keeping a sense of time moving and getting accomplishments under your Farmer's suspenders. The Community Center Bundles really put the Seasons front and center as the Crop, Forage, and Fishing ones are all Seasonal, so they propel you to plan your actions (ok and then forget them 'til next year...). Seasonal immersion is well done, with the Seasonal Festivals nicely integrated into the overall timekeeping of the year.

For me, the art style works very well as it allows your imagination to create these characters in your head without dictating too much of their look to you. I kinda wish there were no character portraits and then you had to interpret solely from the tiny sprites but that's restrictive and could reduce immersion for many. A huge positive for portraits is they're a great starting point for the many and varied portrait mods, which are fantastic options. And personally for me, I started playing tile-based games like SDV over 40 years ago so the layout and structure of the art style feels like a natural progression of those art forms. Nostalgic and modern at the same time, and you can mod it so readily like everything else.

Last edited: