What is that cave on my farm for? How to cook? (non-spoiler tips please)

Neat Games

Planter
Hello all! I just started playing this game on yt~ Anyone got any hints where I should go to figure out about the cave?

Also, how do I cook? I watched the TV a few times and got recipes, tried fireplace and campfire but still can't cook~

Happy farming!

Anhaga

Rancher
Yeah but the wiki is full of spoilers :)
Yeah, it is. Some really prevent frustration, though (gifting mechanic, I'm lookin' at you!). OP, if you don't want spoilers, just be patient; the game will reveal most secrets within the first in-game year. If you do want spoilers, the wiki is an awesome resource.

After having used the wiki heavily on my own first play-through (I got so irritated with the unpredictability of gifts!), it's been a really interesting experience to install Stardew Valley Expanded and suddenly have to guess again!

Anhaga

Rancher
Do the recipes on the cooking show loop more than once? I just read not too long ago to watch tv to learn new things.
They will eventually loop. It does take quite a bit, though, so it's best to watch the TV shows regularly. The weather forecast is an absolute gem for planning out when to upgrade tools in spring/summer/fall.

@ndy

Farmhand
Yeah, it is. Some really prevent frustration, though (gifting mechanic, I'm lookin' at you!).
the gift mechanic is actually nice enough now(since 1.4) since everything you gift is remebered
this also prevents the situation where response is not really bad but its actually a disliked gift

Anhaga

Rancher
the gift mechanic is actually nice enough now(since 1.4) since everything you gift is remebered
this also prevents the situation where response is not really bad but its actually a disliked gift
Yes, that's a lovely new part of it, definitely! I'm still loathe to experiment with more "expensive" gifts, though, given the off chance someone will hate it. Shower everyone with salmonberries? Sure! Test out wine or caviar on them all? Ohheckno!

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Farmer
Yes, that's a lovely new part of it, definitely! I'm still loathe to experiment with more "expensive" gifts, though, given the off chance someone will hate it. Shower everyone with salmonberries? Sure! Test out wine or caviar on them all? Ohheckno!
There are lots of nice clues to loves and likes in the things people say and in their lifestyles and homes. Still, some things are kind of surprising. Some even better clues eventually start to appear.

Do the recipes on the cooking show loop more than once? I just read not too long ago to watch tv to learn new things.
Some of the recipes come from the villagers when you make friends with them.