WHAT DA HECK IS THIS THING

smor145

Sodbuster
I went to the train station area around 9:50 pm in the winter, and some creature that lowkey looked like the big rats from The Princess Bride ran into a bush. I tried to shake the bush, but it did not reappear. What is this?!?!

Lew Zealand

Helper
Did the Strange Capsule appear on your farm within the past in-game year or so? And more importantly, did you leave the Capsule out until whatever was inside decided that outside might be a bit more fun?

Because that 'whatever' seems to have taken a liking to your Train Station area. Maybe if you build a Forest there it'll stick around, though now we're wandering away from the game into my headcanon.

Lew Zealand

Helper
It's probably the opossum
What?

I also think it’s the opossum. It’s like the rabbits and owls and frogs that you see, they run away and you can’t interact with them. It was added in 1.6.

what Lew is mentioning doesn’t look like a big rat.
What??

Seriously what. There's an opossum? What opossum. Where do I get an opossum? I'm running frightfully low on marsupials and I never knew there was an opossum in the game??

Lew Zealand

Helper
To be completely fair to everyone, if you've never seen a opossum b4 they look kinda fugly. I grew up with them though so I know how much personality they can have, and I think they're kinda cute
We have lots 'round these parts and I got punked by one a few years ago. We had some feral cats who visited now 'n then that we'd occasionally feed and of course cat food = possum food so we'd get a juvenile possum on occasion. One evening looking for the cats in the pervasive bushy undergrowth, I find a dead opposum.

Dead opposum. Wow, what killed it? Ew, I'm not touching that!

Dead opposum.

Hello brain, you there? Are possums known for doing things? Hello???

Nope. 'Ew, dead possum' is brain's final conclusion. Meh I'll clean it up later...

Much later. Maybe an animal'll 'clean it up' for me.

Gross.

Dead possum in my backyard. Loser.

Go out later that night to look for more cats and no possum, no blood.

Huh that's weird.

No. You're just an idiot. It was playing possum and you're as easily fooled as all the predators of North America's only extant marsupial.

May all the opposum's natural predators go just a little hungrier as it continues to carry out its very successful strategy:

Quando omni flunkus moritati. When all else fails, play dead.

Words to live by.

The first time I encountered the opossum, my farmer was rushing back from the mines to avoid being robbed or billed for medical expenses. It jumped up as I exited the mine cart at the bus stop, which just looked like something big coming at me so I slashed my sword through it a couple times and it ran away. Naturally, I then ignored it in favor of rushing home before pass-out time.

The next couple of times I chased after it and tried to interact with it or the shrub it disappeared into. Then, I figured out it was like the rabbits or squirrels only bigger.