What are the consequences?

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
I wanna go adventuring to the island, but i am deeply worried... How will my wife and my poor animals, be affected? Also, what chores will my spouse perform and will she do them daily, in a pattern? What should i expect? What exactly happens?

I would like to avoid the "trial and error" method if possible, please! Spoil me!

Ereo

Helper
And if i stay lots of days in a row...?
You’ll lose a certain amount of friendship each day that you don’t talk to her. It’s easily offset by giving her a gift every couple of days though.

The chores the spouses do are completely random.

if you have fully upgraded barns/coops, your animals will be fed until your silos run out of hay. If you have an auto grabber, you’ll still get milk.

animals also lose friendship points when you don’t pet them. If they’re at high hearts, this will be offset if they get to eat fresh grass outside.

how long do you plan to stay on the island?

Lew Zealand

Helper
Friendship with your spouse will slowly decay but otherwise there doesn’t seem to be a big drawback. And a single loved gift will fix up a week’s absence in a heartbeat.

I think animals will also lose hearts but an Autopetter will cut that in half. And a few days of pets afterwards will fix that right back up.

Long term, there are no consequences. In general the entire game is without penalty. If you go to Ginger Island and stay there as long as you want, nothing bad will happen at your home farm. Any loss of hearts can be regained easily.
I sometimes travel back & forth every other day. So then I am at both my homes at least a little while each day. And I try to get the obelisks quickly!

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I also find that especially in the beginning, it's nice to take it slow and head back home at the end of every day. You don't need to do everything all at once, and I personally find it more relaxing to do things in little bites here and there. Also, if the fee to travel back every day isn't a trivial amount, I don't feel prepared for Ginger Island.

ArtifactSpot

And if i stay lots of days in a row...?
If you are at 14 hearts with your spouse then a few nights won’t do much harm. Give loved gifts next two days and all will be well. If you’re at 11 or less your spouse will likely be in bed when you get back.

You can’t count on your spouse to run the farm. As for the animals they won’t die, but they might get grumpy if you don’t have auto-petter, auto-grabber, and full well stocked silos. Their produce quality might decrease slightly and they will not produce on days not fed (manually or automatically.) Nothing will happen to your crops, save maybe a lightning strike, but that can happen anyways. They just won’t grow the days not watered (sprinklers solve this), but they will all die if the season changes while you are gone (save those in your greenhouse.)

Do NOT enter volcano until WELL equipped with Space Boots, Lava Katana sword at very least, Galaxy sword best. Ruby ring or iridium bands. Also good quality food preferably with speed boosts and triple espresso. You will also need a good watering can upgrade if you haven’t already. You will have to take it in the volcano even though not needed for regular mines. You will likely pass out in mines a couple times until you get hang of the flames.

But there is plenty to do do on island without exploring volcano. Including a small farm that acts like a greenhouse once you get enough golden walnuts to use it. That’s where you will sleep over.

Buy an autopetter for each barn and coop to pet the farm animals and keep them happy

Divorce your wife because autopetters don't work on spouses

I've only stayed on my Ginger Island farm overnight maybe four times on my save file because I can't bear the thought of Elliot sleeping in our big, beautiful bed alone. I'm also kind of mental when it comes to petting my glorious piggies every single day and after seven in-game years, I've still not been lucky enough to find a single auto-petter in Skull Cavern, despite luck buffs and consistently reaching floor 140 each dive. As mentioned above, it's really easy to regain lost friendship points so a few days at the island isn't going to ruin your life on the mainland; it's really just a matter of personal preference and if you have a return scepter and/or obelisks it'll make travel between the two locations much easier!