Clay farm 1.6: 100-150 clay/day

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
*This was an old post of mine which I thought would me move relevant in 1.6 due to RNG manip clay farming being removed*

Hello all,
I have recently been having quite a bit of traffic on a previous post of mine titled "Kegs kegs kegs" and was considering the best methods of money making in there.
The best tile for tile usage of space on a farm seems to be sheds filled with garden pots and deluxe retaining soil in turn filled with starfruit or pineapple, depending on time and willingness to spend larger amounts of time harvesting crops.
The only problen with this method which otherwise is nearly 3x the profitability (with pinapple) a day than growing an ancient fruit is that the large amount of clay one must sink into each shed 137 each for both the retaining soil and pots, equaling out to a total of 274 clay a shed.
the main problem with such a thing is the fact that not only is clay not buyable, but not farmable either in the traditional sense, and there are only a few worthy methods of obtaining it legitamitely.
These are the options:
1. Probably the least intensive and most reliable is the small dig-site quarry area on ginger island which nets me about 30-40 a week harvesting on mondays which averages out to be 5 clay a day which is ok considering it only takes 20 in game minutes to harvest with bombs and not much else otherwise.
2. Tilling, I think no matter where you till there is a base chance to harvest clay but there are places with higher chance, namely the mines, but I will touch up on this soon. I tried tilling the entire beach and desert to see what I got and received about 16 clay from the beach and 12 from tilling about half of the desert* which is not bad but also a 3-4 hour timeloss for beach and quite a bit more if you plan on tilling the entire desert.
*Keep in mind all calculations were calculated with the 50% extra bonus of doubling a dug up item from the generous enchant on the hoe.

This brings us to tilling in the mines.
I originally thought of this method when SC diving and thought about bombing the SC for clay, this slowly became redundant though, as even though the SC has larger patches of ground to till, the randomness of it and the ability to reset the same levels in the mines over and over made it too tempting.
I originally tried the levels 85 and 15 on the dangerous level of the mines but gave up both level 85 and the dangerous mode because of annoyances of monsters and the squids on level 15.
My first test started at 9:50 and netted me 78 clay from running, tilling whatever then resetting but I realized to full optimize this, I must make a specific path to follow and secondary paths to use in case of hindrances as well as specific spots to till at to increase productivity.
With this new method I managed to get 103 clay in a single day as well as a lot of other garbage and a lot of wumbus statues as well (over 5 runs I managed to get 6 wumbus strange dolls and a few other artifacts but no bobo dolls).
Then, after optimizing the route further over the next three runs I reached what I think is maximum efficiency with 118 clay starting at 10:10 which possibly could be made into 150 or more if starting earlier and using routes perfectly.
I did not sccreenshot my best run but did my 4th with 113 clay startign at 9:50:

Screenshot (846).png

Here is the exact pathing I creeated for maximum effieciency, the writing is a bit hard to read as I did so with a mouse but respond with questions to clear up and discrepencies:
The white text reads "all at max size" indicating to use the hoe to max size unless stated to (secondary 4).

Screenshot (851).png

This is what I will be clay farming with an I hope you guys can gleam some use from this.
Also please do note that I did not try with the reaching enchant for further reach but believe that would be less effective because of the already formulated route and sheer amount of extra clay you will receive with the generous enchant, @Giant Octopodes, this one is for you to test.
Good luck.
-FilthyGorilla

Last edited:

BlaDe

Farmer
You are correct that tilling in the mines in general has a higher chance of getting clay. This is ~4.68% per till. Tilling outside the mines is 3%

Tilling outside of the mines can be fully predicted, even if you don't know the game seed. If you do know the game seed you can use my predictor, linked in my signature.

There is a pattern you can abuse after you find the first piece of clay to get clay for every hit.

CryptoGreen's YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tAkpr-jV3w
Piano_Addict's Twitch highlight: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/860807764

There is a vastly superior option for farming clay, it just depends how much you are prepared to abuse knowledge of the game's mechanics. Here's a video by Stardew Twitch streamer Tooshi, explaining the process very well, although I believe the pattern for this strat, which basically reduces movement to a minimum while abusing it, was developed by Piano_Addict

Here's Tooshi's video - https://youtube.com/watch?v=mIUeZZ14y54

This will guarantee clay with every swing of your hoe, but it basically amounts to abuse of knowing how the game uses a pseudo RNG to "randomly" give you clay. Piano_Addict used the same trick to speedrun the Joja repairs in 55 minutes, by sleeping straight through to winter, then tilling the beach every day for guaranteed winter root or snow yam with every swing, the forageables being far more valuable than clay and thus worth spending a few minutes sleeping through the first three seasons.

Whether you want to do this is purely dependant on how "cheaty" you think it is, but it's in the vanilla game, no mods required, and despite saying Concerned_Ape saying he would nerf this, it remains in for the time being.

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay, @One More Day , yes, that'll get it done in less than an hour of real time... so if the challenge is to get it done as quickly as possible and use the least amount of your own real time, sure. However, I look at it like this... if two people both started looking for a job, the guy who literally slept 3/4 of the year away while the other person made cash that whole time did NOT get a job faster just because he didn't experience the time.

I don't think it's "cheaty" to do this. I think that when you do it, you're shooting yourself in the foot be denying yourself all the progress you could have made during the 84 days you sleep through.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
You are correct that tilling in the mines in general has a higher chance of getting clay. This is ~4.68% per till. Tilling outside the mines is 3%

Tilling outside of the mines can be fully predicted, even if you don't know the game seed. If you do know the game seed you can use my predictor, linked in my signature.

There is a pattern you can abuse after you find the first piece of clay to get clay for every hit.

There is a vastly superior option for farming clay, it just depends how much you are prepared to abuse knowledge of the game's mechanics. Here's a video by Stardew Twitch streamer Tooshi, explaining the process very well, although I believe the pattern for this strat, which basically reduces movement to a minimum while abusing it, was developed by Piano_Addict

Here's Tooshi's video - https://youtube.com/watch?v=mIUeZZ14y54

This will guarantee clay with every swing of your hoe, but it basically amounts to abuse of knowing how the game uses a pseudo RNG to "randomly" give you clay. Piano_Addict used the same trick to speedrun the Joja repairs in 55 minutes, by sleeping straight through to winter, then tilling the beach every day for guaranteed winter root or snow yam with every swing, the forageables being far more valuable than clay and thus worth spending a few minutes sleeping through the first three seasons.

Whether you want to do this is purely dependant on how "cheaty" you think it is, but it's in the vanilla game, no mods required, and despite saying Concerned_Ape saying he would nerf this, it remains in for the time being.
Yeah, I know of clay farming but was looking for an alternate method as well as even though I don't count it as cheating, I didn't want to do any rng manips - even pseudo ones - nor seed prediction in this run which is also why I haven't used mousypound's stardew predictor for this file.
I will probably pick up clay farming when I start a beach farm as the area with stumps at the bottom seems very viable for tilling in that certain pattern early on in the game for some easy cash.

Last edited:
Okay, @One More Day , yes, that'll get it done in less than an hour of real time... so if the challenge is to get it done as quickly as possible and use the least amount of your own real time, sure. However, I look at it like this... if two people both started looking for a job, the guy who literally slept 3/4 of the year away while the other person made cash that whole time did NOT get a job faster just because he didn't experience the time.

I don't think it's "cheaty" to do this. I think that when you do it, you're shooting yourself in the foot be denying yourself all the progress you could have made during the 84 days you sleep through.
Yeah, but a speedrun is about doing it in the least IRL time, not game time, so it's faster IRL to sleep for 12 weeks and hoe for winter forage. Anyway, the fastest by growing crops is something like 1 hr 20 mins and that route takes you into year 2 anyway, whereas the winter forage route is done within a couple of weeks of starting the first winter, so it's faster by that metric too.

As for the principles behind this method, it's definitely a little bit cheaty

hexnessie

Farmer
I generally alternate between 15 and 55 - they have the same layout, same availability of clay. 55 has the added benefit of no duggies, so you don't lose out on tiles if a duggy spawns there (such tiles become untillable AFAIR)

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I generally alternate between 15 and 55 - they have the same layout, same availability of clay. 55 has the added benefit of no duggies, so you don't lose out on tiles if a duggy spawns there (such tiles become untillable AFAIR)
That's cool, I just found that most enemies spawn less so on 15 than 55 and any enemy can block a tile from being tilled.

Draconifors

Sodbuster
I didn't know you can get clay by tilling in the mine -- let alone that the chance to get clay is higher there than outside. The first part should've been obvious, though, I suppose, since the areas where duggies can spawn look the exact same as tillable tiles outside.

I don't have need for mountains of clay (at least for now), but this was an interesting and informative read.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Oh, nice! I'll have to remember to till the mines for clay until I get to Ginger Island from now on. I'm in there often enough anyway. I'm not on 1.6 yet, but as far as I know, there is no known pattern for the switch.

Mayfair

Greenhorn
This is great, thank you @FilthyGorilla. My friend and I have just made a silo yesterday on our farm and we had only 11 clay and we are in summer, year 1. This info will come in handy in the future. Cheers!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Oh, nice! I'll have to remember to till the mines for clay until I get to Ginger Island from now on. I'm in there often enough anyway. I'm not on 1.6 yet, but as far as I know, there is no known pattern for the switch.
Everyone I know who has spent time developing patterns on switch has either given up or disappeared which is a tad annoying, luckily(maybe unluckily) in 1.6 it won't really matter either way

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Everyone I know who has spent time developing patterns on switch has either given up or disappeared which is a tad annoying, luckily(maybe unluckily) in 1.6 it won't really matter either way
The chance to dig up clay in less ideal spots is still good enough for me to get by without a dedicated pattern. I have a very bad habit of always thinking I only need 8 clay for a silo, for example. So I have dug up Robin's front yard multiple times just to get those two clay I forgot about. (But it works, so I'm not complaining!)