Typewriter

DemiserofD

Sodbuster
I dabble in writing in my spare time. Unfortunately, it's often difficult to find the motivation to write. However, it's not hard to find the motivation to play stardew!

Which gave me a neat idea!

Add an in-game object called a typewriter. You could get this as a gift from Elliot for reaching 10 hearts with him. When you use it, it freezes time, and opens up a small text editor. You could then write stories with it!

For about every five hundred words you write, it would increment a "page"; each page could be sold at the end of the day for a reasonable amount of money. Maybe a thousand gold.

And also, it would save your work as a txt file in the stardew save location. That way, you can find it later and use it for other things!

I don't know, it might seem a little silly, but I think I could actually enjoy being a writer in this game.

It's a great idea.
I think Elliot is not fond of computers or machines.
He is into writing with ink and feather in an old-fashion way.
There is the possibility that he would give you his used typewriter.
I like the idea because it reminds me of Minecraft.

Overall great idea, but I am interested in what others think about making money through writing.

imnvs

Local Legend
So if I were to spam the word "cat" all day I could make money? Ctrl+copy/ctrl+paste spam coming right up!

Last edited:
Add an in-game object called a typewriter. You could get this as a gift from Elliot for reaching 10 hearts with him. When you use it, it freezes time, and opens up a small text editor. You could then write stories with it!

And also, it would save your work as a txt file in the stardew save location. That way, you can find it later and use it for other things!
So if I were to spam the word "cat" all day I could make money? Ctrl+copy/ctrl+paste spam coming right up!
I had some similar (bad) thoughts... So freezing time may be not the best thing.

Anyway I think its a nice idea to have a typewriter for notices and also to get it from Elliot. I just think one needs it earlier in the game before having 10 hearts. Also when the player is chasing for women one doesn't get 10 hearts with Elliot. So the way to get the typewriter may be another one...

Anyway I think its a nice idea to have a typewriter for notices and also to get it from Elliot. I just think one needs it earlier in the game before having 10 hearts. Also when the player is chasing for women one doesn't get 10 hearts with Elliot. So the way to get the typewriter may be another one...
I was laughing so hard at the fact that that the farmer is only interested in chasing women. –never talk to Elliott.
Just like Emily giving you a sewing machine, let's make Elliot equivalent to Emily. –without increasing or decreasing the hearts.

Quirinea

Farmer
I dabble in writing in my spare time. Unfortunately, it's often difficult to find the motivation to write. However, it's not hard to find the motivation to play stardew!

Which gave me a neat idea!

For about every five hundred words you write, it would increment a "page"; each page could be sold at the end of the day for a reasonable amount of money. Maybe a thousand gold.

I don't know, it might seem a little silly, but I think I could actually enjoy being a writer in this game.
Sounds like you're participating in Nanowrimo or something (I'm busy trying to test a few mods before November so I can publish them and move from playing, testing and modding to writing for the month)?
There should be an upper limit for "pages" for an in-game day though, or the it could just be a writing area (another app for writing,actually), with no in-game payment. As the time cannot be running while you write (an in-game hour is less than a minute unless you use a mod for that).

Lew Zealand

Helper
And of course a prerequisite for all of this will be to dig up the Dwarf Gadget first. No need to invent a new technology when the Dwarfs already gotcha covered.

Instead of Gunther rewarding you with the hideous 'Burnt Offering' when you turn in the gadget, you instead get a typewriter and a recipe for a power source for it. Battery, Iron bar, Copper bar, maybe a Coffee and Survival Burger as Writing is Foraging. But with a keyboard.

Last edited:

PebbleQuest

Greenhorn
Hmmm, I think it could be a neat idea! Would be interested to see it implemented as a mod or something.

I do agree with what another person said about having a limit on the number of pages that can be sold in a day. And I also agree that it should be a more accessible item since not everyone is gonna date Elliott. I think it would add some challenge and intrigue if it was linked to a skill, such as a writing skill. When you first receive the typewriter and start writing pages, they sell for a small handful of change. As you level up in the skill (Writing and selling more pages causes you to level up), pages will begin to sell for more money.

The closest thing to this that currently exists is MissCoriel's mod Dear Diary. It's not exactly the same concept, but it lets you have a text editor in the game to use as a journal, and you can look back on previous entries. Maybe you'd have an interest in that?

DemiserofD

Sodbuster
I did think about the fact that people could game it to make infinite money, but people can already do that with the slot machines. Take a luck buff and the slots give you positive qi coins on average. I was making about 2000/minute, which is about 200g/minute if you want to do that.

I thought about adding some sort of writing analyzer to make sure you're writing real words, but that seems pretty complicated. The tech exists for that though, and is open source.

Corvus

Sodbuster
What is this "typewriter" of which you speak? :smile:

I volunteer at i.d.e.a. a children's art museum here in Mesa. It has art-oriented play rooms for little and bigger kids and then a separate gallery where there is a temporary exhibit that in ordinary times gets changed out about every four months.

The exhibit that opened just weeks before the Covid shutdown was Art of the Story, with all sorts of activities to create a story from what you see around you or imagine. One of the displays there was a Remington Quiet Riter on a pedestal with a basket of blank paper beside it, the idea being you roll in a sheet, type on it, and take it home with you as a souvenir. They had some trouble buying ribbons for the thing.

It was amusing watching children who had never seen a manual typewriter in their lives interact with it. They recognized the keyboard but it was at a steeper angle than they were used to. They would press a key gently so the type bar would raise about half way and look at it in wonder. I would tell them, "No, you gotta whack it like this," and type out a line. To be honest it had been more than a half-century since I'd had anything to do with a manual and just the line was unexpectedly tiring.

Last edited: